Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model S Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They appear to be gloss black, not chrome.

All sounds accurate except repeater cams are black. Look at side shot of the car showing the door handles and repeater is black. Up close shot is just weird.

You know, we only see each side repeater once. Perhaps it's not that the closeup is weird, but that is has two different repeaters. Perhaps this is more of a "Swatchbook" build. That would also explain the mismatched interior.

Too bad Tesla is being cheap and didn't even bother designing a new tail light entirely

Love the Taycan light strip

Model S should have something like this

stuttcars-taycan-23-copyright-porsche.jpg

Again, range. Tesla only has to concern themselves with range right now and do the minimum elsewhere. A leaf does a great job getting you up to the speed limit and dying after 100 miles. A Corolla isn’t a BEV.

I don’t disagree about the theory Tesla should strive to be best everywhere, but they just don’t have to be, so they aren’t. And it won’t hurt them at all unless or until there’s real competition.

On the contrary there are a lot of people who would buy Tesla's if they did strive to be the best. People don't choose cars based on EV or not EV. They choose on a whole multitude of features which combine to an overall experience.

On the contrary there are a lot of people who would buy Tesla's if they did strive to be the best. People don't choose cars based on EV or not EV. They choose on a whole multitude of features which combine to an overall experience.
I respectfully disagree. If you’re throwing down $100k for an S or an X, you must want a BEV. There are many cars (M5?) that have amazing performance and much nicer interiors, but they aren’t BEV.

I think the same is even true for a 3 or Y. You can get a nice BMW 3 series for $40,000 and not buy a 3. Yes, Tesla’s also have great handling, but I don’t think anyone would argue they’re more luxurious or have better features than true luxury cars with.

I respectfully disagree. If you’re throwing down $100k for an S or an X, you must want a BEV. There are many cars (M5?) that have amazing performance and much nicer interiors, but they aren’t BEV.

I think the same is even true for a 3 or Y. You can get a nice BMW 3 series for $40,000 and not buy a 3. Yes, Tesla’s also have great handling, but I don’t think anyone would argue they’re more luxurious or have better features than true luxury cars with.

My point is there are plenty of people throwing down $100k on a Mercedes GLE or X5 who want a BEV but can't get one with all the other nice features. I'm one of them. I have a Mercedes GLE450 and a Porsche Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid. I want a BEV but I haven't been able to find a true luxury BEV. I was hoping the refreshed Model S would check that box it did not. Neither do the Taycan or eTron GT because those are too small. Fortunately the Mercedes EQS is coming soon. But if Tesla had their act together, I would be in a Tesla.

The Model 3 and Y are actually more competitive in my opinion. When you go to a Mercedes dealer and look at the average C-Class they don't have a lot of features. if you want the full luxury experience you have to pay almost double in options. But at the Model S and Model X price point this is no longer the case.

Tesla is like apple in a sense. They have a huge cult like following. They can always rely on that. Why make every possible upgrade all at once? Roll small changes out every now and then and the masses will go crazy over it (like using the same screen but turning it 90 degrees or like apple did when they went from small phones to big phones back to small phones). They don’t have to make changes to their tail lights because they are the only real game in town but once they are required to they will. In the meantime...plenty of people will be lining up, drooling over the simple upgrades that we have to have...myself included!

I’m buying the Plaid and I wish it was an ICE car. I would much prefer the two minutes at the pump for 400 miles of range. I’m only buying the Tesla for the performance. No other car comes close to this performance at this price point. I don’t love the look of the interior or exterior, and the tech is missing crucial features that are actually important to me such as cross traffic awareness, blind spot alerting, 360 camera view, and Apple CarPlay.

What sold me on the Tesla was the way it felt when I mashed the pedal. I’m sure this is a pretty dumb reason to throw $100k at a car, but I’m anticipating the other less noticeable attributes of the Tesla will win me over the more I drive it.

My point is there are plenty of people throwing down $100k on a Mercedes GLE or X5 who want a BEV but can't get one with all the other nice features. I'm one of them. I have a Mercedes GLE450 and a Porsche Panamera Turbo S e-Hybrid. I want a BEV but I haven't been able to find a true luxury BEV. I was hoping the refreshed Model S would check that box it did not. Neither do the Taycan or eTron GT because those are too small. Fortunately the Mercedes EQS is coming soon. But if Tesla had their act together, I would be in a Tesla.

The Model 3 and Y are actually more competitive in my opinion. When you go to a Mercedes dealer and look at the average C-Class they don't have a lot of features. if you want the full luxury experience you have to pay almost double in options. But at the Model S and Model X price point this is no longer the case.
I get it now. Thank you for the explanation and bifurcation between S/X and 3/Y. Anyone who is willing and able to wait and doesn’t feel they “need” a BEV today can and should wait. I guess my point was the wait will be long. As far as I can tell, Mercedes EQS models still look like concepts. If they can release one in 2022 with 300 miles of range, as they say, I think they’ll eat into Tesla’s market share IF they don’t charge a premium above Tesla (like Porsche does) and if they’ve got some quick charge tech. The Taycan, for example, is almost embarrassing as it’s more expensive than an S with much less range and no viable way to charge quickly.

Totally agree on 3 and Y. Great points. That’s why I think they sell so well, aside from just price point. I’ve been really tempted to get a Y, but I need 7 seats for real and the Y looks like the 3rd row might fit a chihuahua.

• Informative
Reactions: Stealth.Pilot
I get it now. Thank you for the explanation and bifurcation between S/X and 3/Y. Anyone who is willing and able to wait and doesn’t feel they “need” a BEV today can and should wait. I guess my point was the wait will be long. As far as I can tell, Mercedes EQS models still look like concepts. If they can release one in 2022 with 300 miles of range, as they say, I think they’ll eat into Tesla’s market share IF they don’t charge a premium above Tesla (like Porsche does) and if they’ve got some quick charge tech. The Taycan, for example, is almost embarrassing as it’s more expensive than an S with much less range and no viable way to charge quickly.

Totally agree on 3 and Y. Great points. That’s why I think they sell so well, aside from just price point. I’ve been really tempted to get a Y, but I need 7 seats for real and the Y looks like the 3rd row might fit a chihuahua.

EQS will be priced higher than the model S because it is a bigger car.

Mercedes equivalent of the Model S will be the EQE.

EQS will be announced in April. It is close to production. The way to tell us when the prototypes start losing their camo.

2022 Mercedes EQS Spied With Less Camo To Reveal Liftback Layout

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo
WAMPd said said:
....finally a place to rest my arm on during long drives unlike the current model.

Might be your arm is hooked to a short body. My arm, though long, sits high, and I have no problem resting my arm on the armrest. Then again, mostly my arms are hooked to my hands, which are holding the steering wheel. I suppose nearly everybody can find something to complain about with nearly everything.[/QUOTE

I thought this to be a legitimate issue. I’m short but with long arms and always have to slide the armrest cover forward to rest my arm. Regardless of what is attached or unattached. :)

I am thankful for the split so I can still use one of the cup holders.

Reactions: byeLT4
I’m buying the Plaid and I wish it was an ICE car. I would much prefer the two minutes at the pump for 400 miles of range.
Unless you drive 400 miles a day I'm not sure what the problem is, 20 seconds to plug the charger in before you go to bed at night is a pretty simple process when you change your mindset. Otherwise I agree with many of your points, for 'cutting edge' technology Tesla is still lacking in some very basic functionality that every car in this price range would have as standard (360 camera and blind spot warnings in the side mirrors I miss daily).

That image of the back seat shows the perforated leather. The pedals suggest this is a plaid model. I'm surprise the plaid has the standard wheels. For Model 3 and Y the performance models get upgraded wheels.

Leather is a complete and utter failure for the planet, the animals who have their skins ripped off, and for appearance/wear. Please don't confuse Tesla's interiors with animal flesh as they stopped using it some 3 or 4 years ago, and should have done so even earlier--despite what your parents taught you, it is evil.

See:

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Source:

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

I’m buying the Plaid and I wish it was an ICE car. I would much prefer the two minutes at the pump for 400 miles of range. I’m only buying the Tesla for the performance. No other car comes close to this performance at this price point. I don’t love the look of the interior or exterior, and the tech is missing crucial features that are actually important to me such as cross traffic awareness, blind spot alerting, 360 camera view, and Apple CarPlay.

What sold me on the Tesla was the way it felt when I mashed the pedal. I’m sure this is a pretty dumb reason to throw $100k at a car, but I’m anticipating the other less noticeable attributes of the Tesla will win me over the more I drive it.

Yes, very glad you're getting a Tesla, and remain stunned at how clueless so many remain in 2021.

Getting an ICE car (that you wish for!) would allow you to continue to dump unlimited amounts of GHG's into the atmosphere and oceans for future generations to deal with--all for FREE to you!

What a deal!

Here's a clue: science doesn't care what you believe so how about getting up to speed on the greatest threat to our entire planet? Then you'll put those wishes in garbage where they belong, hopefully to never see the light of day again:

Greenland, Antarctica Melting Six Times Faster Than in the 1990s

The Anatomy of Glacial Ice Loss

And for all those Climate Myths from AM Talk Radio fossil fuel shills that may be floating around in your head, here you go:

Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined

Allow me to close with a quote from Carl Sagan:

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.

Carl Sagan

Unless you drive 400 miles a day I'm not sure what the problem is, 20 seconds to plug the charger in before you go to bed at night is a pretty simple process when you change your mindset. Otherwise I agree with many of your points, for 'cutting edge' technology Tesla is still lacking in some very basic functionality that every car in this price range would have as standard (360 camera and blind spot warnings in the side mirrors I miss daily).

... road trips

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Yes, very glad you're getting a Tesla, and remain stunned at how clueless so many remain in 2021.

Getting an ICE car (that you wish for!) would allow you to continue to dump unlimited amounts of GHG's into the atmosphere and oceans for future generations to deal with--all for FREE to you!

What a deal!

Here's a clue: science doesn't care what you believe so how about getting up to speed on the greatest threat to our entire planet? Then you'll put those wishes in garbage where they belong, hopefully to never see the light of day again:

Greenland, Antarctica Melting Six Times Faster Than in the 1990s

The Anatomy of Glacial Ice Loss

And for all those Climate Myths from AM Talk Radio fossil fuel shills that may be floating around in your head, here you go:

Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined

Allow me to close with a quote from Carl Sagan:

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.

Carl Sagan

Yeah, that’s cool. I just like the pickup the car has. That’s all.