Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model S LR for the Track (1-2x a Year)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brakes will be the main issue with either car. The M3P will perform better on the track because of weight. Neither car are ideal for the track, but both will suffice with upgraded brakes. Get a used Miata for $4000. It will be much more fun on a track.

Reactions: play150
Brakes will be the main issue with either car. The M3P will perform better on the track because of weight. Neither car are ideal for the track, but both will suffice with upgraded brakes. Get a used Miata for $4000. It will be much more fun on a track.
If you are serious, race a Porsche or Miata for sure (that is what I do). Just to have fun for a day at the track, the Teslas can be very fun and fast while also being safe and drivable to learn with.

OK, slight thread necro.

I just discovered a new passion: did my first (car) track day in my current car (2017 Golf R).

It now has me having second thoughts about selling the R for a refresh MSLR, the R handled so amazingly around the track, it was just so easy to drive fast.

Has anyone tried a road course track day yet in a refresh S? Obviously it won’t be as tossable as my Golf R, but is it capable enough to get my fix once or twice a year? Adding to the challenge is that my local track is a tight, technical and fairly slow course - probably not one where a heavy car will shine. Lots of Miatas, Porsches and BRZs around this track.

I’ve read through the discussion above, and the theory makes sense, I’m just wondering if anyone has actually tried it yet now that deliveries are starting to happen more regularly.

Before it is suggested, yes I’ve considered keeping the R and getting the Model S, but I don’t think it’s realistic financially right now.

If you want a car to beat the golf R, get a 3P. Won't even be close. A GIANT 4 door LR sedan is the wrong tool even if it is capable. The smaller car is better. If you are not a great driver, any car will be ok and you can have occasional fun. 90% of the people I teach never get close to the limits of the car. If you are serious, get a Miata or older Porsche.

I'm still under the impression that a Long Range S will make a capable and fun track car, especially for occasional use. Yes, it is large - yes, it is heavy. But it's not that much over the 3.

It won't have any overheating issues and it's plenty fast. You are going to need some modifications for the track (brake pads and fluid at a minimum), but if you've only done a single track day thus far you can grow with the car, so to speak. The Plaid is a monster, and I've had a lot of fun driving them, but the Long Range is no slouch.

If you want a car to beat the golf R, get a 3P. Won't even be close. A GIANT 4 door LR sedan is the wrong tool even if it is capable. The smaller car is better. If you are not a great driver, any car will be ok and you can have occasional fun. 90% of the people I teach never get close to the limits of the car. If you are serious, get a Miata or older Porsche.

Thanks - I’m not looking to “beat” the Golf R, just have a car capable enough to have fun. I’m not competing or serious enough to buy something dedicated, just looking for the occasional thrills in a legal and safe environment. @MasterC17 seems to have me figured out 🙂

I’m still curious to hear any firsthand accounts when someone gets a chance to try it out!

Just keep a careful eye on the tires and watch for the brake warnings. This is my tire after a couple of admittedly very hard sessions on my 3p. New photo by Jad Duncan

At least I did catch the 997 and gt4!!! And it was quite fun.

Ooh-wee! How worn was the tire at the start?

This was my Golf R tire at the end of a hard day:

Attachments

• 36B5116B-8D8A-4EAA-ACED-99A90A08AD98.jpeg
    36B5116B-8D8A-4EAA-ACED-99A90A08AD98.jpeg
    835.6 KB · Views: 44
OK, slight thread necro.

I just discovered a new passion: did my first (car) track day in my current car (2017 Golf R).

It now has me having second thoughts about selling the R for a refresh MSLR, the R handled so amazingly around the track, it was just so easy to drive fast.

Has anyone tried a road course track day yet in a refresh S? Obviously it won’t be as tossable as my Golf R, but is it capable enough to get my fix once or twice a year? Adding to the challenge is that my local track is a tight, technical and fairly slow course - probably not one where a heavy car will shine. Lots of Miatas, Porsches and BRZs around this track.

I’ve read through the discussion above, and the theory makes sense, I’m just wondering if anyone has actually tried it yet now that deliveries are starting to happen more regularly.

Before it is suggested, yes I’ve considered keeping the R and getting the Model S, but I don’t think it’s realistic financially right now.
I ended up getting a M3P (and had a 2016 Golf R) - hoping to visit the track soon! I definitely feel that the handling is different with increased weight of the M3P though, so it might be even more pronounced in the MS LR. Although if it's just track days for fun (like me) I'm guessing any of the cars will do fine!

Reactions: sandman1330
I think range should be considered too. I just did my first track day in m3P at VIR and it was a blast, but closest supercharger was 30 minutes away. Each 20 minute session burned 100 miles of range on average. So I could do 2 sessions then had to rush to the supercharger (90min round trip)to get back in time for next session. At the end of the day I didn't have enough SOC to drive home and had to make another trip to the supercharger (wrong direction for my trip home) then turn around to go home.

I think with S LR it could get by with slower charging at track between sessions on the RV outlet (rented for $30 day), saving at least 2 hours of driving to supercharger.

Of course this wouldn't be an issue if VIR would add high speed charging of some type.