Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 refresh Model S sightings, steering yoke vs. steering wheel discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla may choose not to do the yoke or may not want to wait to have approvals or got ahead of themselves with the renderings, etc. It would not be the first time they said one thing and delivered another with no explanation until delivery. I am one of the folks far less interested in the refresh with no yoke, but others would prefer a full steering wheel and no yoke.

For all we know, those cars have stalks and the same old interior and the outside is just chrome delete like the 3 and Y. We must continue our wait.

I'd argue the colors are one of the ways we can assume these are test vehicles because there's like two of each. I think they are using the steering wheel to help calibrate whatever system for the yoke, since we can probably assume the motion for turning for the yoke is going to be so different.

What I mean by this is... They hook them up to a computer turn the wheel to a certain spot and program what the equivalent should be for the yoke at that particular rotation.

Why other colors? Maybe to test the paint. Why the other Wheels? To test the wheels (I believe they are newly modified) and I'm sure it creates nuance in the steering.
I don't believe there is any reason to assume we are getting a yoke, and I'm actually surprised that everyone thinks Tesla wouldn't ship a car without announcing a change. Over the years, I've seen Tesla do several things that we all shake our heads at and can't believe. Nothing Elon or Tesla does surprises me anymore.

I don't believe there is any reason to assume we are getting a yoke, and I'm actually surprised that everyone thinks Tesla wouldn't ship a car without announcing a change. Over the years, I've seen Tesla do several things that we all shake our heads at and can't believe. Nothing Elon or Tesla does surprises me anymore.

Well given tesla is actively trying to get it approved by the us government, there's a lot of reason to believe we will get a yoke.

I'd argue the colors are one of the ways we can assume these are test vehicles because there's like two of each. I think they are using the steering wheel to help calibrate whatever system for the yoke, since we can probably assume the motion for turning for the yoke is going to be so different.

What I mean by this is... They hook them up to a computer turn the wheel to a certain spot and program what the equivalent should be for the yoke at that particular rotation.

Why other colors? Maybe to test the paint. Why the other Wheels? To test the wheels (I believe they are newly modified) and I'm sure it creates nuance in the steering.

Yesterday a different truck was carrying 2 blues, 2 grays and 1 blue.
It’s a little late to be “calibrating” the yoke, right? Especially since we have seen some cars with it. If they’re calibrating, that means they’re many months behind because then they’d have to have a bunch of test cars WITH the yoke, once ready, then test those. Certainly possible, especially given their track record with delays, but man is that disappointing if that’s the case.

It’s a little late to be “calibrating” the yoke, right? Especially since we have seen some cars with it. If they’re calibrating, that means they’re many months behind because then they’d have to have a bunch of test cars WITH the yoke, once ready, then test those. Certainly possible, especially given their track record with delays, but man is that disappointing if that’s the case.

This would not be surprising. Lol

1616207218321.png

• Funny
Reactions: TNGuy99 and elguapo

We have many reasons to assume that there will be a yoke. Including seeing them in cars in the wild, SA stating it, purchase agreement stating, vehicle build stating it, Tesla sit stating it, other Tesla vehicles being developed with it.

Other than that, I fully agree with the other points. I am new to the Tesla world and even I can see Tesla shipping it without the yoke and then discontinuing it or giving a retrofit option. Deliver them without the yoke - most will take it. If someone does not take it, there will be someone else to take his place. I have been two months and I already shake my head and can't believe. This is a guy who makes his cars fart and files with the government to be called Technoking - you don't think he would take away your yoke??

Either way, I am all in.

Surely you can’t be serious.

I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

We have many reasons to assume that there will be a yoke. Including seeing them in cars in the wild, SA stating it, purchase agreement stating, vehicle build stating it, Tesla sit stating it, other Tesla vehicles being developed with it.

Other than that, I fully agree with the other points. I am new to the Tesla world and even I can see Tesla shipping it without the yoke and then discontinuing it or giving a retrofit option. Deliver them without the yoke - most will take it. If someone does not take it, there will be someone else to take his place. I have been two months and I already shake my head and can't believe. This is a guy who makes his cars fart and files with the government to be called Technoking - you don't think he would take away your yoke??

Either way, I am all in.

I am serious and don't call me Shirley.
Based on past experience with other companies your points on why we should assume we will receive the yoke are absolutely valid. I just think you can’t assume anything with Elon or should I say the Technoking running the show.

Some people feel quite strongly on both sides of the yoke. The desire to want something new, unique and different is quite strong. I don’t really care one way or the other. I don’t care if it has a yoke or normal steering wheel or if it has a turn signal stalk or stalkless. I’m not really interested in waiting for Elon to reinvent the wheel. Just ship me the car as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarbJohn and Sbaimo
I don’t care if it is yoke or round. But after seeing these, I believe we are all getting round steering wheels. Too bad, the yoke seemed like a cool idea. I guess they haven’t worked it out yet (government approval or maybe impractical). Perhaps the next physical update will be the yoke.

I would be happy to take delivery ASAP with round wheel. I am sick of driving my wife’s car amd looking at my installed wall charger’s green light with nothing to charge.

Did they confirm this? Last I read, NHSTA was still investigating.

Who is “they” and did you get your “still investigating” from a reliable source or from electrek or teslarati reference because that reference from a “previous employee NOT with the NHTSA” was never vetted out yet was spread everywhere (inside sources say....blah blah blah....) where is the NHTSA statement saying that?