Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 refresh Model S sightings, steering yoke vs. steering wheel discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your 2nd point is invalid as a regular steering wheel does not in any way block the view of the road. My wife is short and has the steering wheel pretty low, it does not block the road view, and a taller person will obviously not have any issues. Also it blocks your surroundings? That makes absolutely no sense. The steering wheel is in front of you, now sure how it’s blocking your “surroundings”

Your 3rd point is also invalid because we don’t know the dimensions, it may be flatter but that doesn’t mean there’s more clearance between the seat and “yoke”. The seats are a new design as is the dash so there’s no telling how much room there is.
You make some good points. My experience in observing some small statured people barely able to see over the steering wheel and a few dangerously looking under the top portion is why I included the better visibility aspect. In my current car (Lexus), I have to compromise my steering wheel position to best see my dash and also have a reasonably comfortable height for my hands. I'm hoping my new Tesla is a better fit for me.
You are also correct that we don't know the exact dimensions of the new yoke steering. I'm hoping it will provide more leg room.

Wait a sec, the first point is invalid too. FSD is still laughably far off. I am still wondering how you can use cameras with zero ability to clean themselves as the primary mechanism for external input? How about that you can't see things low down either? Are we supposed to be ok with running over a dog or road debris?

Seems like you could design a wheel to be changed at some point in time - like 10 years out - when some form of FSD is usable. But struggling every day until FSD actually works - that seems like a bad plan.

Tape up your current wheel to mimic the areas that aren't present on a yoke and drive around for a few days. Do you really want to unlearn decades of motor memory?
You may be right about the FSD timeline, but I'm optimistic it will be sooner. Tesla is soon to release their 2.0 software which transitions from using C++ for programming to a much more modern neural network/machine learning approach. Coupled with the version 11 user interface (also soon to be released) we should see dramatic acceleration and improvement in FSD development.
As for using tape to mimic the yoke steering design, I tried that before I wrote my original post. Of course, that test was with my current car's steering wheel (Lexus). The transition seemed pretty easy, but again, that was with a Lexus steering wheel. Also, I may have a different way of holding the wheel than others. Lastly, I've seen posts indicating Tesla will provide buyers with the option of choosing which steering version they want. If that's the case, this will become a moot issue.

Here are some hints that suggest some of what might be expected for the Model S/X steering yoke. This comes from Toyota, which has recently engaged in a partnership relationship with Tesla.
Toyota's BZ4X crossover concept vehicle is being developed together with Subaru Corp. BZ refers to “beyond zero.” The vehicle includes a yoke style steering wheel. Their media says it uses what they call an "Adaptive Steer by Wire System" that completely detaches the steering wheel from the steering system. The relationship of steering angle and wheel angle can modified freely. This eliminates the need to change one's grip on the steering wheel and makes for safer and smoother driving.
They’re planning to roll out this steering system around the world, starting with China. It has a middle of 2022 anticipated market introduction date.
Unfortunately, the Toyota description lacks detail, however It does offer a few clues. It will be interesting to see if Tesla's steering yoke implementation utilizes a similar adaptive steer by wire system.

Here are some hints that suggest some of what might be expected for the Model S/X steering yoke. This comes from Toyota, which has recently engaged in a partnership relationship with Tesla.
Toyota's BZ4X crossover concept vehicle is being developed together with Subaru Corp. BZ refers to “beyond zero.” The vehicle includes a yoke style steering wheel. Their media says it uses what they call an "Adaptive Steer by Wire System" that completely detaches the steering wheel from the steering system. The relationship of steering angle and wheel angle can modified freely. This eliminates the need to change one's grip on the steering wheel and makes for safer and smoother driving.
They’re planning to roll out this steering system around the world, starting with China. It has a middle of 2022 anticipated market introduction date.
Unfortunately, the Toyota description lacks detail, however It does offer a few clues. It will be interesting to see if Tesla's steering yoke implementation utilizes a similar adaptive steer by wire system.
Interesting. It would allow LHD and RHD vehicles to use the same steering rack, and the same motors to power the rack.

I would want redundancy in such a scenario, however. A physical connection (steering shaft) is highly unlikely to fail. Sensors and motors are a different animal.

It would probably kill road feedback entirely as well.

Interesting. It would allow LHD and RHD vehicles to use the same steering rack, and the same motors to power the rack.

I would want redundancy in such a scenario, however. A physical connection (steering shaft) is highly unlikely to fail. Sensors and motors are a different animal.

It would probably kill road feedback entirely as well.
You make some good points. Tesla has been good about building in redundancy for critical systems, including redundant computer chips. I suspect steering systems will get the same attention. The road feedback issue will be interesting to experience in real life. If initially it's not as good as drivers like, over-the-air updates may be able to tweak it to meet driver preferences.

As a side note, I read some info on the teslarati.com website indicating NHTSA found no issues with Tesla’s yoke steering wheel, confirming it is compliant with safety standards. I'm guessing we'll learn more about upcoming features and release dates following Tesla's earnings report scheduled for today.

You make some good points. Tesla has been good about building in redundancy for critical systems, including redundant computer chips. I suspect steering systems will get the same attention. The road feedback issue will be interesting to experience in real life. If initially it's not as good as drivers like, over-the-air updates may be able to tweak it to meet driver preferences.

As a side note, I read some info on the teslarati.com website indicating NHTSA found no issues with Tesla’s yoke steering wheel, confirming it is compliant with safety standards. I'm guessing we'll learn more about upcoming features and release dates following Tesla's earnings report scheduled for today.
Can you post a link to that article that that says NHTSA found the yoke to be compliant

Tesla hates to offer people "OPTIONS", but, in this case, offering the option of either or, would be GREAT. There will be many potential buyers turned off by it and stay away. Having the OPTION, prevents that. Me personally, I want my full steering wheel. I've tried driving as if the top wasn't there and wasn't comfortable with it. That's just me.

I found another post about how "steer by wire" and Tesla's yoke steering may function. The concept involves the use of variable steering ratios based upon vehicle speed and driver needs. For example, a calmer steering response during highway speeds and a more dramatic response in a parking or U-turn situation.
The yoke steering would turn a maximum of 180 degrees, thereby reducing or even eliminating the need for hand-over-hand steering actions. Coupled with Tesla's comfort, standard, and sport steering modes, it sounds like a functional and flexible system is possible.
Here is the link for those interested in exploring the topic in more detail:

Reactions: Drew-MS
I don't believe there is any reason to assume we are getting a yoke, and I'm actually surprised that everyone thinks Tesla wouldn't ship a car without announcing a change. Over the years, I've seen Tesla do several things that we all shake our heads at and can't believe. Nothing Elon or Tesla does surprises me anymore.

Strongly agree. I'm a new Tesla owner but have researched and followed TM closely over the past 3 years. I've seen them do just that. Wouldn't be surprising at all to seem them pivot without notice!

Strongly agree. I'm a new Tesla owner but have researched and followed TM closely over the past 3 years. I've seen them do just that. Wouldn't be surprising at all to seem them pivot without notice!

I don't believe there is any reason to assume we are getting a yoke, and I'm actually surprised that everyone thinks Tesla wouldn't ship a car without announcing a change. Over the years, I've seen Tesla do several things that we all shake our heads at and can't believe. Nothing Elon or Tesla does surprises me anymore.
I ordered a Model S Long Range in March. My order specifically states it includes yoke steering. I suspect we'll know for sure following the June 3rd Model S Delivery Event.

It appears the "yoke vs. round" question has been answered with the yoke being Tesla's choice for steering. Sadly, it also appears "steer-by-wire" is a ways off. The Model S Owner's Manual (now available online) shows the following steering specifications.

Type: Variable ratio rack and pinion with electronic power steering, speed sensitive
Number of turns lock to lock: 2.33
Turning Circle (curb to curb): 40.3 ft/12.3 m

It appears the "yoke vs. round" question has been answered with the yoke being Tesla's choice for steering. Sadly, it also appears "steer-by-wire" is a ways off. The Model S Owner's Manual (now available online) shows the following steering specifications.

Type: Variable ratio rack and pinion with electronic power steering, speed sensitive
Number of turns lock to lock: 2.33
Turning Circle (curb to curb): 40.3 ft/12.3 m
Most (if not all) of the folks currently driving Plaids have given the yoke a thumbs up. Maybe it took a day or less to get used to it.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
People might try to convince themselves they like the yoke steering wheel, but no amount of fantasy will alter the truth of it's awfulness. I'm a huge Tesla fan, multi-Tesla owner, and minor investor, but I highly suspect when I eventually get the pickup I've been wanting, it will be an electric F-150 instead of a Cybertruck exclusively because of that incredibly awful yoke steering wheel. I can put up with other changes I don't like such as the auto-shift, but the steering wheel...sorry, not going there. Maybe if an aftermarket company comes up with a cover that converts it back into round; that would be a real possibility to deal with this blasphemy in an acceptable way.

People might try to convince themselves they like the yoke steering wheel, but no amount of fantasy will alter the truth of it's awfulness. I'm a huge Tesla fan, multi-Tesla owner, and minor investor, but I highly suspect when I eventually get the pickup I've been wanting, it will be an electric F-150 instead of a Cybertruck exclusively because of that incredibly awful yoke steering wheel. I can put up with other changes I don't like such as the auto-shift, but the steering wheel...sorry, not going there. Maybe if an aftermarket company comes up with a cover that converts it back into round; that would be a real possibility to deal with this blasphemy in an acceptable way.
Imo it's not that serious. A solution is coming soon; probably a round wheel option or some sort of a yoke attachment.
Also super confident some current Tesla owners would jump at the opportunity to swap their round wheel with an unhappy owner of a yoke.

Electrek has reported Tesla's filing of a patent for a new steer-by-wire system. Steer-by-wire with variable ratio steering should substantially reduce the amount of steering wheel/yoke rotation required to execute a turn. U-turns, parallel parking, and other steering-intensive maneuvers should be substantially easier, regardless of type of steering apparatus.

This anticipated new Tesla feature has been rumored for some time now. Other car brands will also be offering steer-by-wire, including the soon-to-be-released Lexus RZ 450e BEV.

This begs the question: Will steer-by-wire eventually make cars with round steering wheels seem obsolete or dated? Will this influence your choice of round vs. yoke steering when purchasing a Tesla?