Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model X Delivery Times Reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in Austin, TX. Placed an order for a blue on white LR on Feb. 13th and am now showing an April delivery estimate. Ordered planning for May - June, and was quite shocked when I got a call 40 min later from my delivery advisor asking me to fill things out. Not complaining, but I’m curious to see if that date holds.

Reactions: DIL
I’m in Austin, TX. Placed an order for a blue on white LR on Feb. 13th and am now showing an April delivery estimate. Ordered planning for May - June, and was quite shocked when I got a call 40 min later from my delivery advisor asking me to fill things out. Not complaining, but I’m curious to see if that date holds.
My delivery adviser asked me to do the same when I ordered right after refresh announcement. I think it’s typical for them to try to see if you’re serious. Hopefully, it means April. My advisor told me April, but I don’t see how that’s possible...

Reactions: Tdreamer
For those who now have a delivery month showing, have you already completed your lease/loan info? I’m not sure when to do this as mine still shows nothing in estimated delivery or anywhere else.
Wait until you have a ~confirmed day of delivery. Tesla will needlessly check your credit repeatedly until delivery. Some have had their credit checked 3-4 times before delivery.

We have our credit frozen so I definitely wait until the last minute.

For those who now have a delivery month showing, have you already completed your lease/loan info? I’m not sure when to do this as mine still shows nothing in estimated delivery or anywhere else.
Ordered a day or two after refresh announced. Delivery estimate changed to April yesterday (was "check back for updates on delivery estimate" before that). Plaid. Will be interesting to see what wheel we get... or if we have an option to select either prior to delivery.

What the hell is that supposed to mean:

'Tesla will needlessly check your credit repeatedly until delivery. Some have had their credit checked 3-4 times before delivery.'

If that's true, I will cancel my order today and never deal with this hot shot boy's club ever again.

Oh and what on earth is a 'delivery advisor'. It seems some of you engage in happy chit-chat with some ominous 'delivery advisor'. I don't know about you, but I placed my order, and the next thing I expect is an email or call that my car can be picked up. I don't have the time to engage in useless communication with 'advisors' as if I was unable to go pick up a car.

• Disagree
Reactions: DIL
What the hell is that supposed to mean:

'Tesla will needlessly check your credit repeatedly until delivery. Some have had their credit checked 3-4 times before delivery.'

If that's true, I will cancel my order today and never deal with this hot shot boy's club ever again.

You don’t have to cancel...just DON’T give your financing info until you have a firm delivery day.

Oh and what on earth is a 'delivery advisor'. It seems some of you engage in happy chit-chat with some ominous 'delivery advisor'. I don't know about you, but I placed my order, and the next thing I expect is an email or call that my car can be picked up. I don't have the time to engage in useless communication with 'advisors' as if I was unable to go pick up a car.
You can do what you’re saying, that’s fine. You’ll get your car eventually. Tesla’s issue is they conditioned folks to know the people who whine and stay in touch with Tesla tend to get their cars more quickly than if you order and just wait. This is only the case with new/refresh releases. If you want a 3 or a Y now, it’s easy. While supply is constrained for S or X, they often listen to squeaky wheels.

Bottom line - you can wait and they will get you a car in the general timeframe they said originally. An advisor will reach out at some point to schedule delivery. If you expect excellent communication, you will be sorely disappointed.

This is my fifth Tesla and I am not here because communication and service are great.

This is my fifth Tesla and I am not here because communication and service are great.

Yeah, I remember when I ordered my 75D... it wasn't even a refresh (the 2016 refresh was a year old at that point), communication pre-delivery was absolute garbage for such a $$$ car. The fact that I'm willingly subjecting myself to it again with a new X says it all. I am also not here because of the excellent communication (though to be fair my limited experience with actual "service" has been really good *with my specific service center*... especially compared to BMW).

Reactions: elguapo
Yeah, I remember when I ordered my 75D... it wasn't even a refresh (the 2016 refresh was a year old at that point), communication pre-delivery was absolute garbage for such a $$$ car. The fact that I'm willingly subjecting myself to it again with a new X says it all. I am also not here because of the excellent communication (though to be fair my limited experience with actual "service" has been really good *with my specific service center*... especially compared to BMW).
I agree on actual service. Especially compared to my Audi dealer, whose service is atrocious. Tesla service has been quite good. Honestly, while communication isn’t great, I prefer it to Audi or Mercedes where the sales folk are like the Maitre d’ in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off!

• Funny
Reactions: 10dot
I agree on actual service. Especially compared to my Audi dealer, whose service is atrocious. Tesla service has been quite good. Honestly, while communication isn’t great, I prefer it to Audi or Mercedes where the sales folk are like the Maitre d’ in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off!

True story: I originally chose the Model S over an S7 largely (but obviously not entirely) because when I went to the Audi dealership dressed in my normal gear of cargo shorts and a t-shirt the sales guys would barely give me the time of day. It was messed up just how rude they were to me, and I was fully prepared to put in an order for a top-shelf S7 on the spot if they'd been less awful.

2nd that so far. We'll see how they deal with the issues that accumulate after a year, that's always the true test - once they've gotcha on the hook with a depreciated asset you have to fix to sell.

Also, at those manufacturers' service depts., the porters and even techs on check rides can be just like the guys at the parking garage in the same movie

• Funny
Reactions: elguapo
True story: I originally chose the Model S over an S7 largely (but obviously not entirely) because when I went to the Audi dealership dressed in my normal gear of cargo shorts and a t-shirt the sales guys would barely give me the time of day. It was messed up just how rude they were to me, and I was fully prepared to put in an order for a top-shelf S7 on the spot if they'd been less awful.
MY first car was a civic instead of a jetta because of this phenomenon. Sales jerks matter.

Ordered a day or two after refresh announced. Delivery estimate changed to April yesterday (was "check back for updates on delivery estimate" before that). Plaid. Will be interesting to see what wheel we get... or if we have an option to select either prior to delivery.
As of mid-day today, the delivery window of April is gone from my order (it was there at 8am today). Looking for delivery window updates is like following $TSLA. :(

As of mid-day today, the delivery window of April is gone from my order (it was there at 8am today). Looking for delivery window updates is like following $TSLA. :(
My "-" next to "Estimated Delivery" disappeared too, but I am still told April 1 to April 30. As you said, with Tesla, you never know. Ultimately, when they call to ask you to pick it up, then you know. Otherwise, don't believe any of the other info you see.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Honestly - listen to us!!!

I’ve not heard of anyone who has a specific date other than “April 1 to April 30”. There was some random posting on a site about someone who shared a screenshot, but I don’t think it’s legit.

So you spend $140k on a care and are left with guesswork as to when you will be fortunate enough to get what you paid for?!
I ordered mine (model X) on 12/21/20. I’m hearing from my sales associate that maybe not till May or the beginning of June. My current car lease ended 3 days ago. This is crazy!