Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 refresh mx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it me or do I think the refresh is a dumb idea? First of all they raised the price by $10k. Did they increase the range to 360 miles? I can’t recall what the long range was before. But the 0-60 dropped from 4.4 to 3.8. It’s not even a refresh other than a slightly different front bumper. Also, that horrendous looking half steering wheel can’t really make it to production can it? That’s a safety hazard. So how is Tesla justifying the price increase? What more are you getting from last years model?

Last edited:
Is it me or do I think the refresh is a dumb idea? First of all they raised the price by $10k. Did they increase the range to 360 miles? I can’t recall what the long range was before. But the 0-60 dropped from 4.4 to 3.8. It’s not even a refresh other than a slightly different front bumper. Also, that horrendous looking half steering wheel can’t really make it to production can it? That’s a safety hazard. So how is Tesla justifying the price increase? What more are you getting from last years model?

I suspect price is temporary until they clear old stock. I love the steering wheel. Enough to try it out before I declare a verdict. The idea of the unobstructed screen and road is very attractive to me. As well as the stalkless steering column is brilliant.

You sound like folks complaining back in 2012 about why would I want a big screen in my car.

Your right about the 360 miles though. No way I’d buy one with that range only to be duped 6 months later with one that gets over 400 miles for less money.

I’m thrilled with stock 3.8s speed. Makes it easier to pass on Performance trims and not lose range.

I think it’s a great “refresh”.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Reactions: BulldogsRus
The meet of the refresh is in the new battery architecture and structure which provides much higher charging speeds and power while weighing 300lb less. Interior electronics and sound saw big upgrades too.

This is a major refresh, if you understand this vehicle’s evolution. Structural components have been completely redesigned. The interior is all new. New processors have been added (10 teraflops for gaming). More interior room. Return of (redesigned?) ventilated seats. If you get Plaid, it’s got a tri-motor setup with torque vectoring. Even the LR will likely have better handling due to weight savings of 300lbs, which is significant. Wheels and tires are new for lower rolling resistance and better handling. Active Noise cancellation will dramatically improve cabin comfort. It’s a long list! And I personally believe that the real world range will exceed the last model in certain conditions, especially in the cold with the new heat pump. Lastly, knowing Tesla, there are a few choice upgrades that we don’t even know about yet. And software updates that will improve range over time. Mine arrives in March or April.

Tesla must be doing something right, as they have announced a big spike up in new orders for both S & X.

Price hike will probably be offset by potential new $7,000 (retroactive?) pending new Federal Tax Credit.

As usual, there is always some risk when ordering a new Tesla. Everybody hopes all the cards will stack in their favor.

Reactions: pilotSteve and DIL
Tesla must be doing something right, as they have announced a big spike up in new orders for both S & X.

Price hike will probably be offset by potential new $7,000 (retroactive?) pending new Federal Tax Credit.

As usual, there is always some risk when ordering a new Tesla. Everybody hopes all the cards will stack in their favor.

word is that it won't be retroactive, so it'll just be the "next 400,000", following the effective date.

I think it's a pretty major update and I think the exterior still looks kind of fresh, so I'd rather they focus on the interior.

It's all about situation. I have an X with 228 miles of top range now. Would I prefer the 371? Yes. Am I thrilled with 360 AND the new tech and refresh. YES! For me, I need that additional range and yes, I know in a year it will be 400+, but my range continues to decline after starting at 248 in 2016 and Tesla says (of course) it's normal.

If you have a 2020 or "old" 2021 X, I think you should be thrilled still.

As I say across the boards, the items people complain about in the S and X forums are champagne problems. I feel blessed to whine about the Yoke or a horizontal screen on a $100,000 car! If you don't like the yoke, don't get the car. Or wait to try it. If you hate the screen, don't get the car. Either way, feel free to rant, just realize we're ranting while others can't pay rent on an apartment.

I did not know the interior is actually larger. The exterior is the same size right? How did they make the interior larger?
This is a major refresh, if you understand this vehicle’s evolution. Structural components have been completely redesigned. The interior is all new. New processors have been added (10 teraflops for gaming). More interior room. Return of (redesigned?) ventilated seats. If you get Plaid, it’s got a tri-motor setup with torque vectoring. Even the LR will likely have better handling due to weight savings of 300lbs, which is significant. Wheels and tires are new for lower rolling resistance and better handling. Active Noise cancellation will dramatically improve cabin comfort. It’s a long list! And I personally believe that the real world range will exceed the last model in certain conditions, especially in the cold with the new heat pump. Lastly, knowing Tesla, there are a few choice upgrades that we don’t even know about yet. And software updates that will improve range over time. Mine arrives in March or April.

Reactions: WiseShepherd
Not sure I want the heating/cooling system based on the Tesla heat pump setup. Over in the Y forums, a number of people are complaining about lack of heat and some talk of a class-action suit. Brand new Model Y no heat! | Tesla Motors Club

Also, the guy that designed it just left the company.

Not sure I want the heating/cooling system based on the Tesla heat pump setup. Over in the Y forums, a number of people are complaining about lack of heat and some talk of a class-action suit. Brand new Model Y no heat! | Tesla Motors Club

Also, the guy that designed it just left the company.
I thought the heat pump was only for the battery. Not associated with the interior heat...

I thought the heat pump was only for the battery. Not associated with the interior heat...
Is that so? I had not heard that. I assumed the battery heat was a potential source of heat for the cabin sometimes. Outside was used to heat the battery other times, etc. Similar to the other cars, and as discussed in this thread.

Last edited:
Is that so? I had not heard that. I assumed the battery heat was a potential source of heat for the cabin sometimes. Outside was used to heat the battery other times, etc. Similar to the other cars, and as discussed in this thread.
I’d not seen that. Thanks!

This makes me want to wait/put off delivery as I don’t want to spend the dollars for an X and get a heat pump to heat the car. I love the fact that my X heats up so quickly, and reliably. I don’t know much extra range it provides in cool weather, but it seems like a cheap fix.

I always thought there was a closed loop liquid cooling and heating system for the battery...

I’d not seen that. Thanks!

This makes me want to wait/put off delivery as I don’t want to spend the dollars for an X and get a heat pump to heat the car. I love the fact that my X heats up so quickly, and reliably. I don’t know much extra range it provides in cool weather, but it seems like a cheap fix.

I always thought there was a closed loop liquid cooling and heating system for the battery...

As I understand it, the increase in range in the winter from using the heat pump is quite large. Other EV manufactures also use heat pumps (Kia, Hyundai)

Last edited:
As I understand it, the increase in range in the winter from using the heat pump is quite large. Other EV manufactures also use heat pumps (Kia, Hyundai)
Right, but a Kia and Hyundai don’t cost $100k. I would not put a heat pump in my home given the other choices available. Honestly, if it messes with how effective the car provides heat to passengers, that’s embarrassing.

• Disagree
Reactions: MrTuna