Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 refresh mx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trick in a Tesla is that the car can generate extra heat when needed. If the temps drop below useful for the heat pump, Tesla can stall a motor to generate heat, which can be sent to the heat pump. Effectively using a stalled motor as a resistance heater.
Combined with an efficient heat pump and the remarkable octovalve, Tesla can move heat from all available sources to raise ambient.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Heat pumps are ok down to about 25F. Anything below that and they tend to struggle without a backup heart source.
Right, but they’re “ok” down to that level. They’re “efficient”, I get it. But they’re not as good as traditional heating and cooling systems. For me, as well, in winter, where I live, it is routinely below 25 degrees. But heat pumps aren’t the best solution. People tend to choose them for economic efficiency.

So, I guess, I am trying to say I am not looking for Tesla to cut costs in the heating area of the car. I say that, however, as someone who just used 255 miles of rated range to go 160 miles in sub 30 degree weather. That’s not very efficient and I realize that’s one reason they’re putting the heat pump in for batteries. So I DO want the range, it’s just not a great trade off if I lose quick, reliable heat for passengers.

Reactions: WiseShepherd
Interesting that we used to read lots of posts about how Tesla was behind the times by using a resistance heater. Many said they were cancelling their orders until they could get the new heat pump. Now we are seeing people wishing they could get the old resistance heaters.

Tesla seems to have critics, no matter which way they go.

Interesting that we used to read lots of posts about how Tesla was behind the times by using a resistance heater. Many said they were cancelling their orders until they could get the new heat pump. Now we are seeing people wishing they could get the old resistance heaters.

That’s definitely true. Honestly, I am fine either way as long as the tech works. The 3 and Y owners aren’t giving us much hope though given the number of posts about heat not working.

Reactions: WiseShepherd

Which side of the argument you are on may depend on where your drive. For 99.9% of the miles I drive the weather is above freezing in the winter. So a heat pump works fine for homes and hopefully for a Tesla. People that live in colder climates that stay near or below freezing in the winter may have issues. But, then TeslaBjorn seems to be camping out overnight with Teslas and other EVs in Norway down to -30C and not having issues so maybe it is not just the car.

Right, but a Kia and Hyundai don’t cost $100k. I would not put a heat pump in my home given the other choices available. Honestly, if it messes with how effective the car provides heat to passengers, that’s embarrassing.

Have you driven an S or X for any length of time in a place that's truly "cold"? I once lost 30% range on my model S *in one night* from it being parked outside in record cold temps vacationing in WI (-20-25F before wind chill) and driving it a very short (< 10 mile) distance. It's really hard to overstate just how much super cold weather can affect range in these cars. Now, if the heat pump is truly insufficient to keep the cabin at a normal ~70F when it's that cold outside that's a different issue... but since no one has a new S or X to test yet it's all conjecture at this point.

New Model S interior spotted. X will be very similar.
tesla-model-s-refresh-interior.jpg

From Tesla Model S 'Refresh' test vehicle interior: New Steering Wheel, Touchscreen, HVAC system

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
If you follow the heat pump not working in cold threads to their conclusion, the error is a $50 faulty temp sensors. They are replacing them, and working on a redesign.

To repeat, heat not working at 0F is just a single bad part that is getting replaced. The heat pump does not work "worse" at low temps, nor does it "stop working at 25F". I live in the upper midwest, and have fantastic heat at 0F.

So far my sensor hasn't failed.. if it does, it will be a quick swap. It does NOT mean that "the heat pump isn't good enough below 25 cuz that's how a heat pump in my house works"

Come on, Tesla is the high tech car. You should read about heat pumps vs just voicing a false rumor.

Looks like the PRND will be on the center console, as reported, and not only on the screen. Also the “buttons” on the steering wheel are fingerprint magnets. Yes it’s an old fashioned wheel. Where’s the yoke?
Car looks like a test mule so does not represent the complete final version. At least let's hope they put a nice cup holder on the console, and you don't have to put your cup in upside down.;)

• Funny
Reactions: DIL
Have you driven an S or X for any length of time in a place that's truly "cold"? I once lost 30% range on my model S *in one night* from it being parked outside in record cold temps vacationing in WI (-20-25F before wind chill) and driving it a very short (< 10 mile) distance. It's really hard to overstate just how much super cold weather can affect range in these cars. Now, if the heat pump is truly insufficient to keep the cabin at a normal ~70F when it's that cold outside that's a different issue... but since no one has a new S or X to test yet it's all conjecture at this point.
Yes, that’s my issue! I lost 15 miles of range the other night and it was only 20 degrees. I’ve been in 5 degree weather and I feel like the car has AA batteries in it! I am more concerned about reliability with the heat pump. I don’t need it to feel like Hawaii in the car.