Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Rattle Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video with sound.

Apologies in advance for shaky / noisy video. Purposefully driving over bumpy road to get it to rattle as it isn't much of an issue on smooth roads. Any help with this new rattle on my refresh 2021 LR would be appreciated. It seems to be coming from the front / rear passenger door area. Nothing in any storage compartments that would be causing this. I have the Rimetrix covers, tested with and without them, made no difference. Less than 2400 miles, pretty disheartening tbh.

Thanks in advance.

Video with sound.

Apologies in advance for shaky / noisy video. Purposefully driving over bumpy road to get it to rattle as it isn't much of an issue on smooth roads. Any help with this new rattle on my refresh 2021 LR would be appreciated. It seems to be coming from the front / rear passenger door area. Nothing in any storage compartments that would be causing this. I have the Rimetrix covers, tested with and without them, made no difference. Less than 2400 miles, pretty disheartening tbh.

Thanks in advance.
Possibly something loose behind the door panel? It’s hard to tell from the video.

Make a service appointment if you don’t feel comfortable pulling it apart yourself.

We had rattles from the door panels on our Model 3 and I fixed at least some of them simply by tightening the Torx screws in the armrests. Still lots of rattles to fix though. I'll arrange a service centre trip once I've located some of them. The clips for the rear seat base and seat backs seem likely candidates, as do the seat belt mounts and slides.

It's a disappointment when a Model 3 LR rattles more than any new car I've ever bought and when I also run a Renault ZOE, at half the price, that hardly rattles at all.

Check to see if the passenger seat belt buckle is rattling against anything (easiest way is to plug it in) . Also, make sure your windows aren't open as the air flow can cause the seat belt webbing to flutter and make a rattling sound as it smacks against the pillar.

Video with sound.

Thanks in advance.
I had a similar issue and the final fix was easy. Locating it? Not so. My noise seemed to me coming from either the rear of the ps door panel or the B pillar. It was not until I rode on that side while a friend drove, that I figured it out. Odd as it may be, the noise was actually coming from the panel under the glovebox. I recently had my cabin air filters changed and found the place where the two panel meets right under the GB was not secure. I was able to make the plastic clip at that spot work a little better and... no more rattle!

The amazing part is that from the driver seat, I was sure the noise was near the ps B pillar. Hope this helps. As we've all learned, there is no ICE to mask little noises like this.
🧐

if the rattle sound is near door, it is highly possible from the tweeter, mine rattle like hell on some road, followed some video on youtube and fixed my problem, try google “model 3 tweeter rattle” on youtube

you can also install some tone generator app on your phone and connect to your car via bluetooth, play certain frequency sound from car’s speakers to generate vibration in certain frequency to locate some of the rattle places, I found it very useful too

Reactions: XPsionic
I believe I found the cause of my specific rattle which sounds exactly like the one in the video.

As I said in my previous reply, my rattle specifically came alive while on highway, more or so going down hill. I tried couple different tricks, to include the tweeter glue method with no avail.

Although it really sounded like it was coming from inside the cabin, I found out that my rattle was actually coming from outside from the wheel well. If you go to the front well, mine was the passenger side, and tap the protective plastic liner, specifically top of the wheel well, you’ll notice that it’s fairly loose and it will make contact with the metal fender well, causing it to produce a clank. I guess when going fast with specific wind pressure, the plastic liner will vibrate and cause what seems like a rattle inside.

I pulled down the liner and put some felt sticky inside the metal fender so that when the liner is vibrating, it will be pressed up against the felt and dampen the noise. So far so good. I hope this fixed it.

Reactions: MovingSouth