Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about this also. Bluetooth can only connect one headset to an audio source. From my understanding, you can't have 2 or 3 kids in the back with headsets connected to Bluetooth to watch Netflix or whatever app is playing on the rear screen. Most cars with screens in the back use infrared headsets but it doesn't sound like Tesla allows for IR connection, right?

Other option for us with multiple kids would be a small Bluetooth speaker in the back so all could listen? I've got 3 little kids, so the rear screen was a big appeal for me, but now I am wondering how this will work.
It seems deflating. More like a novelty than what we all maybe thought it’d be. I guess it’s nice they have a screen, climate and seat warming control and can mess with full car volume and song and movie choices 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: DCland21
Did the update help?…
The update did help.
…Bluetooth can only connect one headset to an audio source. From my understanding, you can't have 2 or 3 kids in the back with headsets connected to Bluetooth to watch Netflix or whatever app is playing on the rear screen. Most cars with screens in the back use infrared headsets but it doesn't sound like Tesla allows for IR connection, right?

Other option for us with multiple kids would be a small Bluetooth speaker in the back so all could listen? I've got 3 little kids, so the rear screen was a big appeal for me, but now I am wondering how this will work.
Previously Tesla could be a Bluetooth desrination but not a source. i.e. you could stream to the Tesla but not stream from the Tesla to anything else.

Apparently having multiple audio destinations is new in Bluetooth 5: Curious if something similar is or could be implemented by Tesla.

But now that car has two internal sources, maybe they planned ahead. It would be handy to play the rear source on the whole car speakers and fade to the rear speakers.

As for getting the rear source on headphones in the back, is there any source out, wired or wireless? If the front MCU can get audio from the back, any clues as to how it is done? The headphones in the back request is legitimate. Someone on the forums will figure that out and hack a solution if Tesla didn’t. There are lots of third party solutions to leverage. I am less enthralled with wireless and keeping headsets charged so a wired solution like to those USB-C ports below the rear screen would be ideal for me. Even if it needed a goofy splitter, although I doubt those are wired for anything but power.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCland21
The update did help.

Previously Tesla could be a Bluetooth desrination but not a source. i.e. you could stream to the Tesla but not stream from the Tesla to anything else.

Apparently having multiple audio destinations is new in Bluetooth 5: Curious if something similar is or could be implemented by Tesla.

But now that car has two internal sources, maybe they planned ahead. It would be handy to play the rear source on the whole car speakers and fade to the rear speakers.

As for getting the rear source on headphones in the back, is there any source out, wired or wireless? If the front MCU can get audio from the back, any clues as to how it is done? The headphones in the back request is legitimate. Someone on the forums will figure that out and hack a solution if Tesla didn’t. There are lots of third party solutions to leverage. I am less enthralled with wireless and keeping headsets charged so a wired solution like to those USB-C ports below the rear screen would be ideal for me. Even if it needed a goofy splitter, although I doubt those are wired for anything but power.
I bought some USB-C Headphones to try out in the back. They did not work. Hopefully in the future they will

Somewhere in the manual (forget where), it says the rear USB-C ports are power only, they are not on the data/signal bus
That would be a fun hack: intercept the audio stream on the way to the amp and put it into USB-C for those ports.

Do they use Broad-R Ethernet for anything other than to the tuner? Not cheap to access that. Broad-R tools and parts are expensive.

Do we know if there is any computing power in the back? Or is it literally just a third screen for the front MCU?

Last edited:
Elon talks about the BT functionality al little bit at ~18:18 in the launch event. I guess we'll have to see what his "multiple wireless things simultaneously" comment means.

The audio system seems to imply the ability to do multi-channel signal processing and and the BT appears to support multiple devices, so I would guess the hardware is there to split audio streams and we are waiting on SW. Thinking about the signal processing, I guess sit could get a bit hairy, in terms whether you peel of audio channels for the existing 22 to support BT headsets or you keep support for the 22 plus add another 6 (3 headsets, two channels each) for headsets, plus keep the signal processing going for the ANC.

That would be a fun hack: take the audio stream off Broad-R Ethernet (or whatever they are using) and put it into USB-C for those ports. Not cheap though. Broad-R tools and parts are expensive.

Do we know if there is any computing power in the back? Or is it literally just a third screen for the front MCU?
Somewhere, I remember hearing/reading the MCU drives all three screens. For the hack, I'd also wonder if the traces are the for the data path to this back USB-C ports.

I think they use A2B for the audio system: Automotive Audio Bus (A2B®) | Analog Devices
This is the for the Y, but I would imagine they recycled the architecture, so maybe both:

1626711455642.png

Yes it has forward facing cameras, three in fact. No you cannot bring them up to view on the camera app. You can only see one in Sentry Videos. Believe there is no icon to launch them in the current Model S refresh software. You can use voice command to say "open dashcam" and it will launch.
This command is not recognized by my MS LR. "Open Dashcam" types out "open - cam", lol. Open Dashcam Viewer does not work either.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
Is anyone having issues with the screen shutting off and door locking upon leaving the car? It usually works most of the time. But on several occasions I find myself having to open and close the door in order for the screen to shut off when I'm leaving my car. Am I missing something?