Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Older 2016+ won't fit. No charge port connection or module

Attachments

• 20221102_094211.jpg
    20221102_094211.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 333
  • 20221102_094241.jpg
    20221102_094241.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 264
Reactions: top1105
Given that the taillights and charger port would require replacing the tail light mount points on the rear fenders, I think it’s safe to say that method of a retrofit would be hard to accomplish.

The only other way to accomplish this would be to disassemble the fender taillights and swap the diffused elements into the older housing. Provided that’s possible. I might pick up a couple of the new lights and see.

That would allow the charge port to remain the same, but give the diffused look. It’s making a customer set of taillights out of OE parts

Given that the taillights and charger port would require replacing the tail light mount points on the rear fenders, I think it’s safe to say that method of a retrofit would be hard to accomplish.

The only other way to accomplish this would be to disassemble the fender taillights and swap the diffused elements into the older housing. Provided that’s possible. I might pick up a couple of the new lights and see.

That would allow the charge port to remain the same, but give the diffused look. It’s making a customer set of taillights out of OE parts

I have a feeling that China will figure out an aftermarket solution.

I wouldn’t count on it. Model S doesn’t have the unit numbers to support a robust aftermarket.

While you aren’t wrong, that doesn’t explain why there’s already countless Model S parts being made in China.

I would take into account the fact that the Model S has been on the road since 2012.

A friend of mine was able to source aftermarket (updated) taillights for a Panamera (of all cars) from Alibaba.

US $1,020.00 | Car Led Tail Light Assembly for Porsche Panamera 2010-13 Turn Signal Brake Driving Reversing Lamp для автомобиля

While you aren’t wrong, that doesn’t explain why there’s already countless Model S parts being made in China.

I would take into account the fact that the Model S has been on the road since 2012.

A friend of mine was able to source aftermarket (updated) taillights for a Panamera (of all cars) from Alibaba.

US $1,020.00 | Car Led Tail Light Assembly for Porsche Panamera 2010-13 Turn Signal Brake Driving Reversing Lamp для автомобиля
It helps to consider the big picture.

The panamera taillight is just a taillight. It doesn’t incorporate both a high voltage charge port and a motorized charge port door.

The S tailight is more complex. Installing it, as part of the high voltage system is not something a lot of people will be willing to DIY. There isn’t a massive network of shops willing to do the work either.

Porsche owners are also notorious for paying big dollars for unique parts. They’re a large and well established supply of shops who will swap the taillights. Almost any owner could do the swap themselves if they wanted.

Lots of model S parts being made in china, yes. Not a single taillight in 10 years.

Reactions: narth327
It helps to consider the big picture.

The panamera taillight is just a taillight. It doesn’t incorporate both a high voltage charge port and a motorized charge port door.

The S tailight is more complex. Installing it, as part of the high voltage system is not something a lot of people will be willing to DIY. There isn’t a massive network of shops willing to do the work either.

Porsche owners are also notorious for paying big dollars for unique parts. They’re a large and well established supply of shops who will swap the taillights. Almost any owner could do the swap themselves if they wanted.

Lots of model S parts being made in china, yes. Not a single taillight in 10 years.

Well in 10 years there hasn’t been a tail light revision. China is good at imitating, not innovating a new taillight.

The panamera taillight is the 2014-2016 version which has a totally different tailgate from the 2010-2013. They adapted the newer style to an older differently shaped tailgate. I was purely arguing the idea of volume of cars on the road. Which we can all agree there are far less Panameras out there.

I see both sides I guess time will tell.

My guess is that the aftermarket taillight would have a cut out for the older charge port and would not involve modifying it.

It would be plug and play. New style, old port.

Last edited:
Well in 10 years there hasn’t been a tail light revision. China is good at imitating, not innovating a new taillight.

The panamera taillight is the 2014-2016 version which has a totally different tailgate from the 2010-2013. They adapted the newer style to an older differently shaped tailgate. I was purely arguing the idea of volume of cars on the road. Which we can all agree there are far less Panameras out there.

I see both sides I guess time will tell.

My guess is that the aftermarket taillight would have a cut out for the older charge port and would not involve modifying it.

It would be plug and play. New style, old port.
I can’t imagine there are a lot of people willing to cut the old charge port, wiring, housing, etc and motorized door out of the tailight to make a new tailight work. They are a single unit.