Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refreshed Model S Owners (Plaid & LR): What's your average wh/mi so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been at the detail shop, the body shop, or Tesla service for almost a month. I only have 400 miles on the car and a lot of that was doing Dragy runs, so I have no idea on the efficiency. I will measure that over the next week and update you on that.
Me too! Same colors as yours, Plaid. Been in service and body shop almost a month. Fixing paint, windshield put in wrong, dashboard but in wrong

Me too! Same colors as yours, Plaid. Been in service and body shop almost a month. Fixing paint, windshield put in wrong, dashboard but in wrong

What was wrong with the windshield? I’m having mine replaced for distortion areas in my line of sight. I was hoping this would be a same-day deal… Same goes for the dent in that front speaker grille. Hoping they can replace that easily without ripping out the interior…

What was wrong with the windshield? I’m having mine replaced for distortion areas in my line of sight. I was hoping this would be a same-day deal… Same goes for the dent in that front speaker grille. Hoping they can replace that easily without ripping out the interior…
The windshield wasn’t seated correctly when it came from factory. The entire dashboard was also shifted to the left quite a bit. They were shocked the doors closed correctly. You could look down from the outside, into the lower corner of my windshield on the passenger side and see wires and even the air bag parts in the dash. That’s how “off” it was. They removed the windshield and reinstalled it. Fixed dash too. They had to remove the housing around the rear view mirror and in that process they scratched the hell out of it. Taking it back again soon for follow up.

Just bought my wife a brand new Model Y. Came with chips in paint all the way to the metal in the hood. They actually warned me before pick up and said they’d repair it.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
FWIW, I’ve got about 350mi on my S LR, with 19” wheels. I’m seeing about 290Whr/mi for normal trips around town now, but my first few week of trips were well north of that as I tended to be a bit heavy footed, still kinda am though. Haven’t taken it out on a road trip yet, so don’t know what to expect cruising on the freeway.

Reactions: Tigers
After my mysterious hard-reset issue, I have about 700 miles on the Plaid/21s, at 303Wh/mi average. Some being an idiot, mostly not. This is roughly the same numbers I was getting in my 2019 Model 3 Performance on average, though it's not clear how well this car will fare in the winter months with its heat pump by comparison.

Reactions: byeLT4 and jebinc
After my mysterious hard-reset issue, I have about 700 miles on the Plaid/21s, at 303Wh/mi average. Some being an idiot, mostly not. This is roughly the same numbers I was getting in my 2019 Model 3 Performance on average, though it's not clear how well this car will fare in the winter months with its heat pump by comparison.
@WilliamG From and engineering perspective, heat pumps, be it in a car or home, are about 300% efficient as compared to resistance heating. Resistance heating has an efficiency of 100%, meaning 100% of the electrical energy is converted to heat and a bit of light. Heat pumps use electricity to move heat around (inside/outside). Our Plaids should have less range loss than our 2019 M3s. Time will tell.

@WilliamG From and engineering perspective, heat pumps, be it in a car or home, are about 300% efficient as compared to resistance heating. Resistance heating has an efficiency of 100%, meaning 100% of the electrical energy is converted to heat and a bit of light. Heat pumps use electricity to move heat around (inside/outside). Our Plaids should have less range loss than our 2019 M3s. Time will tell.

Exactly that. I have two heat pumps at my house, and their efficiency compared to resistive heating is beyond comparison. Will be interesting to see how these cars do in comparison to my 3 Performance, which always hovered around 300Wh/mi in the winter.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
Exactly that. I have two heat pumps at my house, and their efficiency compared to resistive heating is beyond comparison. Will be interesting to see how these cars do in comparison to my 3 Performance, which always hovered around 300Wh/mi in the winter.
@WilliamG Yep, I ripped out my home HVAC system on day one and installed a heat pump, with backup furnace - for those days when the temps are at or below 40 degrees. The Tesla will use resistive heating in similar low temp conditions. Here in temperate Puget sound, we should really benefit from the Tesla heat pump!

Oh, 21” wheels.
Does anyone else track or watch how many miles you can go per % of charge? I seem to be averaging around 3, so if I’m at 70% charge I can probably go around 210 miles. I don’t think I can get close to the advertised 340 miles on a full charge, my guess is around 280.
Assuming 1% = approx 1 kW (or perhaps a bit more), that would be 333 Wh/mi, which is in the ballpark. Depending on conditions, altitude scenario, driving style, etc.

Anyone getting the 244 wh/mile on 19s that is needed to hit rated? I just did a 2500 mile trip to Arizona and averaged 298 wh/mile in my P85DL. Rated on my car is 310 wh/mile. It's hard to imagine that a Plaid with twice the power of my car could be 21% more efficient.

Car = Long Range on 21" wheels

For the last 300 miles, I've been trying to get a great safety score to get into FSD Beta. I'm in full-on "grandpa mode" which has gotten me a 99 score, and and 255 wh/mi.

In the week or so prior to Clicking The Button, I was enjoying myself quite a bit more and getting closer to 350 wh/mi. :)