Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refreshed Model S - steering wheel yolk material peeling off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Material is already peeing off the steering wheel yolk. Anyone else having this issue (yet)?

yolk-peel.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Solor and 127.0.0.0
I noticed a similar issue after getting mine back from a service visit. I suspect a tech rubbed against it too hard. I pointed it out and even though the spot was quite small they replaced the yoke (thank you Tucson service center!). The new yoke seemed to have a slightly different covering and feels more durable. The old one was more comfortable to hold as it seemed softer.

Mine is an early 431xxx VIN so maybe the May/June 2021 builds were a different covering.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the material the yoke is made of looks so cheap!

I understand Tesla wants nothing to do with cows, so no leather option, but they could have at least made it carbon fiber with some better faux leather pieces.
My new yoke is definitely covered in something more rugged than the first one was.

I’ve had my plaid for a little over 2 months, this is the second yoke, first one had the same exact issue in the same exact spot. Tesla swapped it out under warranty for a new one and here we go again. This is my 4th Model S, they definitely improved the car in many ways but this is definitely a huge step backwards. Not sure why they’re using such a cheap material for a car that costs over 130k but they really need to figure something out asap.

37A7BCC4-ED73-4E9D-8B9F-4C30FB772816.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Solor and 127.0.0.0
Wow I hope this issue is not widespread..

But sounds like from some of you guys that overtime use of even few thousand miles is wearing this stuff/material out.

Now if that is the case I hope they update to a different material which can last a long time.. Can anyone post what the Invoice looked like I hope I dont get the similar issue. By any chance was this maybe caused by some metal object rubbing too hard against steering like a watch ? During turns ?

Wow I hope this issue is not widespread..

But sounds like from some of you guys that overtime use of even few thousand miles is wearing this stuff/material out.

Now if that is the case I hope they update to a different material which can last a long time.. Can anyone post what the Invoice looked like I hope I dont get the similar issue. By any chance was this maybe caused by some metal object rubbing too hard against steering like a watch ? During turns ?
Nope, I don’t wear a ring and my watch doesn’t get close to the wheel. Can’t even say it’s from rubbing on jeans cause I usually wear joggers or shorts. This is 100% from regular driving. I use the bottom left corner a lot, when I’m making a right turn I usually use one hand and put my palm on that corner…But this yolk is only 3 weeks old!

I’ve had my plaid for a little over 2 months, this is the second yoke, first one had the same exact issue in the same exact spot. Tesla swapped it out under warranty for a new one and here we go again. This is my 4th Model S, they definitely improved the car in many ways but this is definitely a huge step backwards. Not sure why they’re using such a cheap material for a car that costs over 130k but they really need to figure something out asap.

View attachment 778864
That is almost certainly from getting in and out of the car and rubbing against the yoke. Every photo I’ve seen of this damage is in the same place. It’s surely no coincidence…

I’m having the same peeling yoke issue with my Model S. Tesla replaced it under warrant.. However, the replaced yoke is peeling again. The material is definitely not durable enough. It seems like the black rubbery feeling material that peels off is a 3D printed material. They should issue a recall and replace all of them with something that doesn’t peel so easily.

Wow this looks bad. Neighbor just paid to have his LR 2022 ceramic coated and filmed. They included some type of interior protection for the seats, dash, yoke. I wondered about the value as nothing is leather. Nothing to absorb anything.

I assumed Tesla tested this fabric for wear. Guess we'll have to see if this is widespread or a particular fabric lot issue.