Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refreshed Model S w/ 21" tires - suspension issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else with a 2021 Refreshed Model S w/ 21"s find the suspension extremely uncomfortable? Tesla obviously knows there is an issue since they put out a patch (2021.32.5) a while back but can anything else be done about it? Yes, I have tried the 'Comfort' setting in the suspension and also the 'Advanced' setting with 'Ride = soft' and 'Handling = Comfort'. Would changing to 19"s do anything?

PS, I have had a Model S since 2015 and did not have this issue.

Reactions: cassiri
uncomfortable = rough, unforgiving, back hurts after long drive, hard for passengers to text while in motion on city streets, wife constantly bitches, passengers laugh that this car costs $100k+ and it drives like this, etc.
I don’t have any experience with the new suspension so I can’t comment if that’s normal or not, the only thing I can say is maybe try to get 19in wheels and see if that improves the ride quality.

I know it did on the older model s, I had one with 21s and one with 19s and the one with 19s definitely had a softer feel to it, absorbed pot holes and bridge connections a lot better.

Got any recommendations for ones that look similar to Arachnid wheels or anyone want to trade for the 19" Tempest Wheels near DFW?

Tsportline has 19in arachnids

Reactions: mswlogo

Tsportline has 19in arachnids
'These wheels will not fit the New 2021 Model S.'

uncomfortable = rough, unforgiving, back hurts after long drive, hard for passengers to text while in motion on city streets, wife constantly bitches, passengers laugh that this car costs $100k+ and it drives like this, etc.
From that description, it sounds like your air suspension is broken and stuck in performance mode (lowest, most firm setting). Have you tried lowering it and raising it to confirm its actually working?

Reactions: KyleDay
My Refresh Plaid with 21’s is a very stiff ride, as well. I keep it in Comfort but I can’t really tell any difference between that and Sport. I have to go about 2 mph over speed bumps to keep from losing a filling. I figured it was just a sporty ride. I have never owned a pure luxury car, nor have I driven a pre-refresh model S so I have nothing to compare it to. I had a new 3P for a few months, but that ride didn’t seem as refined as the Refresh S.

I've completed multiple road trips (each average 1000 miles) in my Plaid and have had no issues with 21" wheels. For the long highway portions, I keep it on Comfort. IMHO, the comfort mode reminds me of a floaty boat -- good for long stretches on autopilot only. As the name implies, we can barely feel anything on the highways, especially when you get to certain states (looking at you South Carolina) that don't seem to have resources to repave heavily trafficked corridors. Within city limits, I prefer the Sport profile, and the difference is substantially noticeable -- all of my family members have picked up the difference. I'm currently on the 21" summer tires and about to switch over to winter tires.

If you really can't spot the difference (and the difference ought to be night and day), then open up a service ticket.

I've completed multiple road trips (each average 1000 miles) in my Plaid and have had no issues with 21" wheels. For the long highway portions, I keep it on Comfort. IMHO, the comfort mode reminds me of a floaty boat -- good for long stretches on autopilot only. As the name implies, we can barely feel anything on the highways, especially when you get to certain states (looking at you South Carolina) that don't seem to have resources to repave heavily trafficked corridors. Within city limits, I prefer the Sport profile, and the difference is substantially noticeable -- all of my family members have picked up the difference. I'm currently on the 21" summer tires and about to switch over to winter tires.

If you really can't spot the difference (and the difference ought to be night and day), then open up a service ticket.
Where did you get your winter tires / could you share the specs? Really struggling to find a set in Canada.

Agreed. Comfort is only good for highway cruising, and even then it’s really squishy/bouncy. I know that some people will like that as a general ride characteristic, but I do not, and thus could never use this setting within the city. No sir, no way!

Does anyone else with a 2021 Refreshed Model S w/ 21"s find the suspension extremely uncomfortable? Tesla obviously knows there is an issue since they put out a patch (2021.32.5) a while back but can anything else be done about it? Yes, I have tried the 'Comfort' setting in the suspension and also the 'Advanced' setting with 'Ride = soft' and 'Handling = Comfort'. Would changing to 19"s do anything?

Which Brand? You could switch to Pirelli VO (Volvo) or LS (Luxury Sedan) label. Much more comfortable.
I found the PLAID in 19" to be super comfy thus direct and nimble. See my other post in the P90D vs. 2021 refresh thread.

Picked up my 21 S Plaid w/ 21” wheels last week, and sold my 19 S Raven Performance w/ 21” wheels. The Plaid definitely rides stiffer than the Raven, which I thought had pretty decent ride quality. There is noticeably less road noise in the Plaid so that’s a plus. In the Raven when going between the different suspension settings, you could readily feel the difference in the ride quality. I’m not able to discern any substantial difference when going between the suspension settings on my Plaid. My wife who has a 20 X Performance has ridden in my S Plaid one time and within about a minute of being in it asked how come it was riding so roughly. It’s that obvious the Plaid does not ride as well as the Raven. My guess (hope) is Tesla will improve the algorithm of the different suspension settings on the S Plaid so it will.

Picked up my 21 S Plaid w/ 21” wheels last week, and sold my 19 S Raven Performance w/ 21” wheels. The Plaid definitely rides stiffer than the Raven, which I thought had pretty decent ride quality. There is noticeably less road noise in the Plaid so that’s a plus. In the Raven when going between the different suspension settings, you could readily feel the difference in the ride quality. I’m not able to discern any substantial difference when going between the suspension settings on my Plaid. My wife who has a 20 X Performance has ridden in my S Plaid one time and within about a minute of being in it asked how come it was riding so roughly. It’s that obvious the Plaid does not ride as well as the Raven. My guess (hope) is Tesla will improve the algorithm of the different suspension settings on the S Plaid so it will.
22 S Plaid /w 20" winter tires. Setting the toggle to comfort mode makes it ride like a Cadillac. Floaty with some body roll, but super soft. Day-and-night difference between "Auto/Sport" mode.

I received my model s LR in December. I have the same problem. … rides like you’re driving diagonally across a speed hump. Wife gets migraine after 15 min. ”sport” EXACTLY the same as “comfort”. Did you ever get it fixed? I’m sure it’s not normal and I have a service appointment coming up.