Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any obvious ships heading to Southampton that will be delivering Q4 cars? I know there are a couple that will be delivering the odd Q3 order as we had a flurry of VIN assignments last week (or week before?).

I ordered on 12th September and being told delivery is expecting in December now (was meant to be November), are there any ships that match up with those timescales heading to Southampton?

I ordered on 12th September and being told delivery is expecting in December now (was meant to be November), are there any ships that match up with those timescales heading to Southampton?
I'd expect 3 or 4 ships in the quarter to go to Southampton - Not all Q4 cars have been built yet so ships will be unknown. If you want to following likely ships carrying Tesla vehicles then it is worth following the shipping movements thread:

How many cars do they usually put on a ship?
Depends on the size of the ship!
Seriously, you will read of ships having a capacity of up to 7000 cars but what they don't say is that those 7000 have to be the size of a 1966 Toyota Corona. The unit of measure for a car carrier is RT43 units where 1 is based on the 1966 Toyota. Not a lot of people know that.
Needless to say Tesla Model 3 is longer, wider and considerably heavier than one of those and as a result instead of 7000 cars the ships may only be carrying 3500 - 4500 cars, depending on its size.
Most car carriers are 200m long and 32m wide. TALIA, LAKE FUXIAN, and LAKE GENEVA are this size.
The restriction in their size being the width of the locks of the Panama Canal. Now that the new canal has been built we are seeing wider and taller ships but the restriction now is the canal lock in Zeebrugge, the busiest car hub in the world. If a car carrying ship can't fit through that lock it's not fit for purpose. The draft (how much of the ship is underwater) is much more of a limiting factor to the design of new car carrier ships.

Last edited:
Daily update time:

TALIA is making steady progress across the Med. I'm a little disappointed in her because she was scheduled to arrive in Southampton on 29 Oct but now she seems resigned to arrive the next day on 30 Oct. The weather for her Med transit is looking fine and should produce no surprises however its perhaps a little too early to guarantee her transit north along the Portugese coast or her Bay of Biscay crossing will be so smooth. I'll take another look at that as she nears Gibraltar. After Southampton she is due to arrive in Zeebrugge but I reckon that will be delayed until 1 Nov or even 2 Nov depending on her Southampton movements (she was originally scheduled to unload in both the Eastern and Western Docks). We won't find out her Southampton movements until Sunday.

TALIA Med.png

LAKE FUXIAN is heading to Zeebrugge and should arrive there around 10 Nov. Currently she is racing across the southern Bay of Bengal at over 18kts in good weather conditions. She should arrive in Suez on 31 Oct, but at her present rate.....

Fux sin-suez.png

LAKE GENEVA is heading for Koper in Slovenia where she is due to arrive on 6 Nov. She is currently in the Straits of Malacca making just over 17kts.
She is due to arrive in Suez on 2 Nov. Using these dates we can firmly rule her out from being a possible caller at Ashdod.

GEN SinSuz.png

So I have high confidence now that the three ships above are 'Tesla" ships.
There are other ships on the way that may turn out to be Tesla ships, or may not, and these are on my watch list which will be the subject of another post from me later.

Daily update time:

TALIA is making steady progress across the Med. I'm a little disappointed in her because she was scheduled to arrive in Southampton on 29 Oct but now she seems resigned to arrive the next day on 30 Oct. The weather for her Med transit is looking fine and should produce no surprises however its perhaps a little too early to guarantee her transit north along the Portugese coast or her Bay of Biscay crossing will be so smooth. I'll take another look at that as she nears Gibraltar. After Southampton she is due to arrive in Zeebrugge but I reckon that will be delayed until 1 Nov or even 2 Nov depending on her Southampton movements (she was originally scheduled to unload in both the Eastern and Western Docks). We won't find out her Southampton movements until Sunday.

View attachment 724234

LAKE FUXIAN is heading to Zeebrugge and should arrive there around 10 Nov. Currently she is racing across the southern Bay of Bengal at over 18kts in good weather conditions. She should arrive in Suez on 31 Oct, but at her present rate.....

View attachment 724235
LAKE GENEVA is heading for Koper in Slovenia where she is due to arrive on 6 Nov. She is currently in the Straits of Malacca making just over 17kts.
She is due to arrive in Suez on 2 Nov. Using these dates we can firmly rule her out from being a possible caller at Ashdod.

View attachment 724236

So I have high confidence now that the three ships above are 'Tesla" ships.
There are other ships on the way that may turn out to be Tesla ships, or may not, and these are on my watch list which will be the subject of another post from me later.
Love these updates thanks Mr M.

Do you have any knowledge of how the Teslas get to Ireland?
Do the ships dock at Dublin or Cork port or are cars unloaded at Southampton and loaded onto a car lorry to be driven across on a ferry?

My current watch list of ships that are presently enroute:

THEMIS Loaded in Shanghai before a brief stop in S Korea. Long unload planned in Zeebrugge 15 Nov. Routing via Piraeus and Livorno. Slight chance of Teslas on board
GLOVIS CHAMPION Currently heading for Singapore but definitely bound for Europe. Very short load time in Shangha (13 hrs) so unlikely to be filled.
VIKING OCEAN Currently heading for Singapore. Small ship so unlikely to be EU bound.
HELIOS RAY Currently heading for Singapore and looks like she will dock there. Unlikely to be EU bound if so.

FIRMAMENT ACE Currently loading in Shanghai. Will be in EU at end of Nov. Still has time to head to Japan/Korea before though.
GRAND PIONEER Will be heading to Europe. Very slim chance of carrying Teslas.

There are of course other ships heading to Europe from Shanghai but I have for some reason or other ruled them out completely.

I have another list. This is of likely future ships heading to EU or UK. I'm keeping this list to myself at the moment but it's quite healthy. One I'm pretty certain of will load later next week....

THEMIS Loaded in Shanghai before a brief stop in S Korea. Long unload planned in Zeebrugge 15 Nov. Routing via Piraeus and Livorno. Slight chance of Teslas on board
GLOVIS CHAMPION Currently heading for Singapore but definitely bound for Europe. Very short load time in Shangha (13 hrs) so unlikely to be filled.
VIKING OCEAN Currently heading for Singapore. Small ship so unlikely to be EU bound.
HELIOS RAY Currently heading for Singapore and looks like she will dock there. Unlikely to be EU bound if so.

FIRMAMENT ACE Currently loading in Shanghai. Will be in EU at end of Nov. Still has time to head to Japan/Korea before though.

There are of course other ships heading to Europe from Shanghai but I have for some reason or other ruled them out completely.

I have another list. This is of likely future ships heading to EU or UK. I'm keeping this list to myself at the moment but it's quite healthy. One I'm pretty certain of will load later next week....
Is the secret ship still looking good?

Reactions: Mr Miserable
One of the problems of identifying Tesla ships is that nowadays so many new cars are being manufactured in China and new electric marques are appearing on sale in the EU almost every quarter. Accordingly there are numerous car carriers routing from China to Europe with these new cars along with the usual agricultural equipment, earth movers, trains, wind turbines etc
So I may get quite excited to find out that MORNING LYNN is going to call in Drammen, Norway on 9 Dec and that she will depart Zeebrugge on 7 Dec.
Last weekend I could see that she was anchored off Shanghai. Could she be a Tesla ship?
She departed Shanghai on Monday.
But is she a Tesla ship? If you trawl around the net you may find this ship listed as a possible Tesla ship. I however very much doubt it.
Yes she ticks a box that she loaded in Shanghai and yes she will head to Zeebrugge but that is not enough.
So please take with a pinch of salt, other websites you may find that list possible Tesla ships. The lists may be impressively long but no filtering or analysis has taken place to whittle the list down.
As for MORNING LYNN she actually may load some Teslas in Zeebrugge to take to Norway but that's about it, in my opinion anyway.

Those with "end of November" delivery dates in the UK have to hope that Firmament Ace or another ship is UK/EU bound in the next 5 days or so then? Hoping that secret ship is the one...

Daily update time:

A VIN appeared in source code today for the MY I ordered on 14 September in Belgium (one of the first MY orders that could no longer be fulfilled from Q3 stock). So I think it’s likely that my MY is on TALIA, right? The other known ships heading for Zeebrugge are nowhere near Suez so it seems unlikely that I would already have a VIN in source code if my car was on one of those other ships, I guess..

A VIN appeared in source code today for the MY I ordered on 14 September in Belgium (one of the first MY orders that could no longer be fulfilled from Q3 stock). So I think it’s likely that my MY is on TALIA, right? The other known ships heading for Zeebrugge are nowhere near Suez so it seems unlikely that I would already have a VIN in source code if my car was on one of those other ships, I guess..
I reckon I'm on Talia currently as I got a delivery date on 14th October for delivery on 10th November (Scotland). If that's anything to go by and you don't have a delivery text yet then I wouldn't be certain you are on Talia.

Reckon if VIN has just appeared in source code today then you'll be on one of the ship's behind Talia. Possible one that's just left Shanghai

I reckon I'm on Talia currently as I got a delivery date on 14th October for delivery on 10th November (Scotland). If that's anything to go by and you don't have a delivery text yet then I wouldn't be certain you are on Talia.

Reckon if VIN has just appeared in source code today then you'll be on one of the ship's behind Talia. Possible one that's just left Shanghai
yeah I'm assuming mine didn't leave Shanghai yet no hidden VIN, nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.