Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the latest internal email from Elon, there’s a chance we might see a more evenly-spaced sequence of ships from Shanghai to Europe next quarter, possibly starting as soon as the second half of December.View attachment 738194
Yes
I'm not quite sure how old that email is but it certainly is in agreement with one at the start of the quarter.
The move to supply exports from China alone, sorted out the US wave, as North American domestic production was now spread out throughout the quarter which was stage 1 and was achieved in Q3. As Elon said the idea was not only to reduce the cost of sales but also the immense pressure on staff. Additionally, the balance sheet was now strong enough to support unsold vehicles in transit.
The next stage was to try and do the same in Shanghai where domestic sales have been strangled by export production (not so much feast and famine but just famine) however I suspect the delay to Giga Berlin has put a spanner in the works to that plan. Shanghai is going to have to continue to supply Model Y to the EU at significant quantitities throughout Q1 and probably into Q2, whilst at the same time supplying UK with MY for Q1 at least. Nobody likes uncertainty and GF Berlin must be a pain in the backside to the planners in Tesla who are not used to production targets not being met.
The message from Elon however is pretty clear in that traditional cost controls will be introduced in order to limit the capability of an end of quarter push by regions.
This is pretty timely as it's pretty evident from this thread that Q4 shipments to EU/UK will have already surpassed previous records.
As far as the UK is concerned we have seen some significant delivery numbers in November with very little evidence of an attempt to holdover deliveries to December for the sake of the figures. This is probably because the deliveries forecast for December is already at a record level.
When this is coupled with the woeful sales figures of the traditional car manufacturers (stifled by production delays) Tesla can be pretty confident that they will achieve high placing in 'best selling' rankings for December and even perhaps November.
So there is potential for the traditional end of quarter rush not to happen this year however old habits die hard and I don't see it being suppressed much in the UK at least this quarter. There may be evidence of oversupply of M3 in December. This is actually no bad thing and will also achieve the aim of suppressing the end of quarter wave in Q1 by increasing sales earlier in Q1. It could also possibly address an anticipated reduction in production over the Chinese new year, or reduced shipping capacity due to MY demands.
As far as shipping is concerned, vehicle manufacturing in the Far East appears to have resumed and there are no longer the ships around that can be readily chartered at a reasonable cost. This is why I think we are seeing an increased use by Tesla of space on scheduled services no matter how long it takes to get to the final destination. That space however is becoming increasingly scarce and more expensive (probably as a result of Tesla buying it all up!). Had GF Berlin come online as planned it would have been perfectly timed but....
The cost of sale of supplying EU/UK from China will likely increase significantly in Q1 onwards. It would probably be financially worthwhile Tesla chartering a number of vessels for long term use on the Shanghai/EU run even if they end up running empty on the return leg. M3 export production would be based on the ship schedules and would therefore overlap quarter-ends. Two birds, one stone.
The delays to RoRo shipping we saw at Shanghai earlier in the year have reduced markedly and ships are running in/out of Shanghai more or less on schedule however the port is running at 100% capacity with little or no vacant pier slots. I'm not sure what the plans are to expand the port operations at Lu Chao (Shanghai South/Pier 4). Certainly the ad hoc arrangement at present is not ideal but it would require a big investment to introduce a permanent deep water export facility there. For the moment, the port of Shanghai will continue to be a bottleneck especially for end of quarter surges and so I think any move to flatten the wave of export production will be of benefit. There is a bit of tail wagging the dog here which is normally a sign of logistical failure however this will hopefully only be a transitional effect until GF Berlin gets its act together. An efficient logistical chain can't cope with surges and one that can, isn't efficient - you can't have it both ways! Elon has decided it's time to move to the efficient model but it's not a binary switch, it will take a little time.

Last edited:
Regarding the English Channel weather I asked the Captain of NABUCCO if he had any trouble keeping his Zeebrugge schedule:

2021-11-28_12-32-05.jpg

Transcript: "Of course. Always on time. The weather is nice today"
;)

NABUCCO should depart on time from Southampton this afternoon and the weather should allow her to arrive in Zeebrugge on schedule tomorrow.

HYPERION RAY is pounding her way up the Iberian coast at 11 kts aiming to arrive in Zeebrugge on Wednesday. Sea conditions will remain a challenge for the next 24 hours. She should be able to make up for lost time from tomorrow evening and make Zeebrugge on time.
Deliveries will clearly be delayed by this and the fact that she will be routing to Zeebrugge first before coming to Southampton on 03 Dec. As for the Israeli cars she is picking up to take to Ashdod I think we may be looking at an arrival there around 12 Dec if all goes to plan.

HORIZON LEADER Is doggedly maintaining her high speed as she strives to reach Southampton on the evening of 01 Dec. She is presently about 60 NM SE of Almeria making over 18kts. She should pass through the Straits of Gibraltar later today and should have a smooth run until she turns north to parallel the Iberain coast. It could get rough for her there.

HOEGH TRACER has just departed Livorno enroute to Zeebrugge with an ETA of 05 Dec. This ship is not a Tesla charter vessel but one operating a scheduled liner service - hence all the stops on her way from China.
If you have a VIN you can check to see if your car is aboard this ship - My cargo

GRAND DAHLIA continues with her AIS in the OFF position as she transits an area assessed as high risk. I expect she is in the Gulf of Aden by now. I don't expect to hear from her again until she is established in the Red Sea on Tuesday. My concern is that her estimate for Suez of 02 Dec would indicate a canal transit booked for 03 Dec which means she will be running 24hrs late. She was due to arrive in Southampton on 11 Dec and Zeebrugge on 12 Dec however I think it inevitable that these dates will move right by at least 1 day unless she does a 'HORIZON LEADER' and engages ludicrous mode for the final leg.

Dont forget to enter the GRAND DAHLIA competition! Click HERE to enter.

PARADISE ACE is over halfway across the Arabian Sea and is maintaining 18 kts. I estimate she will arrive in Southampton around 12/13 Dec and Zeebrugge around 14 Dec.

VIKING BRAVERY is about 200Nm east of the southern tip of Sri Lanka making 16 kts heading for Suez (7 Dec). She is due to arrive in Koper on 12 Dec.

On the watch list we still have GRAND PEARL possibly heading to Zeebrugge (21 Dec) and ARABIAN SEA possibly heading to Koper (18/19 Dec).

"HOEGH TRACER has just departed Livorno enroute to Zeebrugge with an ETA of 05 Dec. This ship is not a Tesla charter vessel but one operating a scheduled liner service - hence all the stops on her way from China."

Mr. Miserable: are you sure HOEGH TRACER has departed Livorno? To me, it seems she is waiting for access since yesterday?
I fear she wil be delayed for Zeebrugge.

Another interesting chat with CS this afternoon, which has confirmed that I am utterly clueless at being able to work out what ship my car was on LOL

They confirmed my car safely arrived in the UK a few days ago but that it was NOT on NABUCCO....I can only assume that it was on the HELIOS RAY, which arrived a few days earlier.....delivery to the Glasgow SC is scheduled for 9 Dec and my collection is scheduled for 10 Dec, just one day later than my original delivery date so it seems the initial 'weather' related delays were due to Storm Arwen hitting the UK and not rough seas!

I don't know how Mr Miserable does it, but I take my hat off to him and his ability to effectively track these ships!!

"HOEGH TRACER has just departed Livorno enroute to Zeebrugge with an ETA of 05 Dec. This ship is not a Tesla charter vessel but one operating a scheduled liner service - hence all the stops on her way from China."

Mr. Miserable: are you sure HOEGH TRACER has departed Livorno? To me, it seems she is waiting for access since yesterday?
Same concern for me. I’ve been watching her for 2 days and it seems that she didn’t enter the port at all for now !

• Informative
Reactions: lafrisbee

Holy Moly! You're correct. i wasn't expecting her to be delayed like this and when I saw her heading south this morning I wrongly assumed she had been and gone, not expecting that she was still holding. I did check to see whether her schedule had changed and it still hasn't but that's no surprise since they probably don't know the extent of the delay. I think it's safe to assume an arrival on 05 Dec is out the window now.

• Informative
Reactions: lafrisbee
Another interesting chat with CS this afternoon, which has confirmed that I am utterly clueless at being able to work out what ship my car was on LOL

They confirmed my car safely arrived in the UK a few days ago but that it was NOT on NABUCCO....I can only assume that it was on the HELIOS RAY, which arrived a few days earlier.....delivery to the Glasgow SC is scheduled for 9 Dec and my collection is scheduled for 10 Dec, just one day later than my original delivery date so it seems the initial 'weather' related delays were due to Storm Arwen hitting the UK and not rough seas!

I don't know how Mr Miserable does it, but I take my hat off to him and his ability to effectively track these ships!!
I suspect that the car you are getting is not the car originally earmarked for you. One of the problems of a £100 deposit (it used to be £2000) has probably worked to your benefit.

I suspect that the car you are getting is not the car originally earmarked for you. One of the problems of a £100 deposit (it used to be £2000) has probably worked to your benefit.
Perhaps, but the VIN that was texted to me yesterday is exactly the same as the one I pulled from the source code back on 18 November.....wouldn't that suggest no late change to allocated vehicle?

Hee everybody, soon to be M3 owner here. I've tried locating the transport ship where my M3 is placed on. Tesla sale person told me 2 different date's it arriving in the netherlands.. 2 or 9 of December. My Vin is LRW3E7FA9MC422xxx , maybe anybody over here got a clue which boat it could be?

NABUCCO arrived in Zeebrugge early this morning. I would expect all Teslas to be unloaded here (ie none going on to Sweden).

HYPERION RAY is just entering the Bay of Biscay. Her speed has increased to just under 15kts as conditions improve and she is looking good to arrive in Zeebrugge on Wednesday.
She is now due to arrive in Southampton on 03 Dec. As for the Israeli cars she is picking up to take to Ashdod I think we may be looking at an arrival there around 12 Dec if all goes to plan.

HORIZON LEADER must be having a very uncomfortable ride up the Iberian coast as she is maintaining over 17kts in some very choppy seas. She is even going faster then nearby container ships which would normally cruise past her. She is clearly determined to try and make Southampton by the evening of 01 Dec. Sea conditions should improve for her over the next 12 hours as she pounds her way north but I think she will be late - only a few hours late though.

HOEGH TRACER I'm not sure what is going on with this ship and why she is being made to wait off Livorno as other car carriers dock ahead of her. Needless to say I think an arrival in Zeebrugge by 07 Dec is now looking doubtful.
This ship is not a Tesla charter vessel but one operating a scheduled liner service - hence all the stops on her way from China.
If you have a VIN you can check to see if your car is aboard this ship - My cargo

GRAND DAHLIA has entered the Red Sea and has decided its safe enough to resume AIS transmissions. She is making 18 kts northwards towards the entrance of the Suez Canal where she is due to arrive on Thursday. My concern is that her estimate for Suez on the night of 02 Dec would indicate a canal transit booked for 03 Dec which means she will be running 24hrs late. She was due to arrive in Southampton on 11 Dec and Zeebrugge on 12 Dec however I think it inevitable that these dates will move right by at least 1 day unless she does a 'HORIZON LEADER' and engages ludicrous mode for the final leg.

Dont forget to enter the GRAND DAHLIA competition! Click HERE to enter. The competition will close for entries at midday on Thursday.

PARADISE ACE is continuing to make excellent progress and is just about to turn SW to enter the Gulf of Aden. I estimate she will arrive in Southampton around 12/13 Dec and Zeebrugge around 14 Dec.

VIKING BRAVERY is making steady progress at 16 kts as she passes the southern tip of India heading for Suez (7 Dec). She is due to arrive in Koper on 12 Dec.

On the watch list we still have GRAND PEARL possibly heading to Zeebrugge (21 Dec) and ARABIAN SEA possibly heading to Koper (18/19 Dec).

NABUCCO arrived in Zeebrugge early this morning. I would expect all Teslas to be unloaded here (ie none going on to Sweden).

HYPERION RAY is just entering the Bay of Biscay. Her speed has increased to just under 15kts as conditions improve and she is looking good to arrive in Zeebrugge on Wednesday.
She is now due to arrive in Southampton on 03 Dec. As for the Israeli cars she is picking up to take to Ashdod I think we may be looking at an arrival there around 12 Dec if all goes to plan.

HORIZON LEADER must be having a very uncomfortable ride up the Iberian coast as she is maintaining over 17kts in some very choppy seas. She is even going faster then nearby container ships which would normally cruise past her. She is clearly determined to try and make Southampton by the evening of 01 Dec. Sea conditions should improve for her over the next 12 hours as she pounds her way north but I think she will be late - only a few hours late though.

HOEGH TRACER I'm not sure what is going on with this ship and why she is being made to wait off Livorno as other car carriers dock ahead of her. Needless to say I think an arrival in Zeebrugge by 07 Dec is now looking doubtful.
This ship is not a Tesla charter vessel but one operating a scheduled liner service - hence all the stops on her way from China.

GRAND DAHLIA has entered the Red Sea and has decided its safe enough to resume AIS transmissions. She is making 18 kts northwards towards the entrance of the Suez Canal where she is due to arrive on Thursday. My concern is that her estimate for Suez on the night of 02 Dec would indicate a canal transit booked for 03 Dec which means she will be running 24hrs late. She was due to arrive in Southampton on 11 Dec and Zeebrugge on 12 Dec however I think it inevitable that these dates will move right by at least 1 day unless she does a 'HORIZON LEADER' and engages ludicrous mode for the final leg.

Dont forget to enter the GRAND DAHLIA competition! Click HERE to enter. The competition will close for entries at midday on Thursday.

PARADISE ACE is continuing to make excellent progress and is just about to turn SW to enter the Gulf of Aden. I estimate she will arrive in Southampton around 12/13 Dec and Zeebrugge around 14 Dec.

VIKING BRAVERY is making steady progress at 16 kts as she passes the southern tip of India heading for Suez (7 Dec). She is due to arrive in Koper on 12 Dec.

HR is no longer routed to Ashdod. According to SA departures board, she will be routed back to Belgium on Dec-04.

Status
Not open for further replies.