Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for a helpful thread. Here is an overview of the dates from order to delivery for my M3 to Stavanger Norway. It confirms that the information provided in the thread is correct in many cases.

Order Date - 8 Oct
Horizon Leader departed Shanghai - 7 Nov
VIN Number first available in Source Code - 22 Nov (15 days after depart)
Text from Tesla to notify delivery (estimated delivery mid/late Dec) - 24 Nov (17 days after depart)
Arrival of HL in Zeebrugge - 5 Dec (32 days from China)
Main Highway loaded in Zeebrugge - 7 Dec
Text from Tesla to schedule pickup (scheduled on 21 Dec) - 9 Dec (send 2 days after departure from BE)
Arrival of MH in Tananger, Norway - 12 Dec
Pickup Date - 21 Dec

New story on Teslarati regarding next year's shipping:

Tesla signs one-year, $422M contract with Hyundai Glovis to ship Giga Shanghai exports
Keeping to Simple maths, for 2022 Tesla China has an annual output of about 500k units, and about half are exported. 422m give $1700 per car for shipping costs, and the article doesn't state of that's just the ship costs or includes dock staffing too.

A car delivered straight from Tesla Berlin has the potential to save customers a lot of money, as well as environmental emissions.

Hyundai Glovis has a huge fleet of ships, worth looking at the list if you are interested.

Keeping to Simple maths, for 2022 Tesla China has an annual output of about 500k units, and about half are exported. 422m give $1700 per car for shipping costs, and the article doesn't state of that's just the ship costs or includes dock staffing too.

A car delivered straight from Tesla Berlin has the potential to save customers a lot of money, as well as environmental emissions.

Hyundai Glovis has a huge fleet of ships, worth looking at the list if you are interested.

Just so that dollar number doesn't become some unofficial 'fact'.

We have little info on both what's really included in this deal and what Tesla needs for 2022. Starting with us not knowing how many they will make in Shanghai, not knowing how many Berlin will make (this will change how many imports Europe needs) and what percentage of Shanghai exports go to the rest of the world. A shipment to Australia has a very different cost than one to Europe. We also don't know how much of any other material shipments that will go to the Fremont, Austin and Berlin factories.

It might be that a large part of those $422 millions isn't even for completed cars but rather for parts and raw materials.

While the article seemed to give plenty of information it didn't really at all. Based on what it does say we can't really guess any better than we could before we knew of this deal.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Got my tesla this monday in Tilburg netherlands. Did not have usb and wireless charging. Small noises right door panel. Very happy with the car and impressed by all the feautures. Have scheduled service call to improve the minor problems. Everyone merry xmas and good luck waiting!
Good to hear you got your car, enjoy! These cars are really great to drive. Still enjoying mine. Even warming up from a distance just before you drive away is a sweet feature 😅. These features are spoiling us 😂

Flying tomorrow back from Barcelona to Copenhagen to pick up my TMY. Fingers crossed everything will be spot on.
This forum has been a great source of panic, fun, fear, positive vibes and all in between.
Thanks Mr. M and other contributors to make the pain of waiting more bearable. Best wishes for 2022 to everyone.

Reactions: Campi and Michael C
I have been keeping an eye on GLOVIS SOLOMON because she ticks a lot of my boxes.
I was expecting her to open the 2022 thread but it looks like she may be turning up early!
One to watch.
Will she go to S Korea though??
Do the ships that transport Tesla's dock at the same part of Shanghai port or do they use different area's? From older threads I have picked up a couple of different area's - Luchao port seem's to be the most commonly mentioned

Mr Miserable,
With all your knowledge would you like to take a stab at transport costs from China to zeebrugge.I guess ship working life 20 years and relatively cheap to produce I.e. Very few internal divisions unlike say cruise lines.
Running staff costs of approx 15 personnel a million a year .
What is fuel costs per day.would love your expertise.it was stated at Nissan that the land delivery costs were almost equal to sea costs but not sure if that was urban myth considering UK diesel prices.
Thanks for any help.

Mr Miserable,
With all your knowledge would you like to take a stab at transport costs from China to zeebrugge.I guess ship working life 20 years and relatively cheap to produce I.e. Very few internal divisions unlike say cruise lines.
Running staff costs of approx 15 personnel a million a year .
What is fuel costs per day.would love your expertise.it was stated at Nissan that the land delivery costs were almost equal to sea costs but not sure if that was urban myth considering UK diesel prices.
Thanks for any help.
This may give you an idea of the sums involved. Tesla signs one-year, $422M contract with Hyundai Glovis to ship Giga Shanghai exports
To my mind the figures don't make sense for a 1 year contract, but there we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.