Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr M, first of all thank you for this fascinating thread, very informative and entertaining :)

I was wondering, and apologies if this is slightly off-topic, that given all M3 LR shipped from Fremont to Europe come with a LG battery made in China, I reckon Tesla must be shipping those batteries from Shanghai to Fremont on a regular basis, do you have any data/insight on those kind of shipments?

I don't know anything about capacity at Bristol port but I did read that it has applied for 'Freeport' status.

Is it conceivable that Tesla could ship to Bristol then transfer part of its load to Ireland (Seatruck?), allowing Tesla to defer the payment of taxes on its Irish vehicles until they reach Ireland?
I don't know the answer to this, but at the moment I'm expecting the ship to call at Southampton.
Quite frankly Bristol might be a better port for Tesla to use in the future rather than Southampton especially when Honda cease exporting from there.

Mr M, first of all thank you for this fascinating thread, very informative and entertaining :)

I was wondering, and apologies if this is slightly off-topic, that given all M3 LR shipped from Fremont to Europe come with a LG battery made in China, I reckon Tesla must be shipping those batteries from Shanghai to Fremont on a regular basis, do you have any data/insight on those kind of shipments?
I don't track batteries, yet, but spookily I can.
I did note a large volume of batteries being shipped from Busan, S Korea to Oakland recently.

• Helpful
Reactions: DHEV
Hello.
A buddy bought a left hand drive SR+ Model 3 in mainland Europe. Delivery later this week. Fully expected it to be from China, but the VIN is 5YJ3E7EAXMF8xxxxx - the "MF" seems to suggest 2021 made in Fremont.

Are we getting SR+ from Fremont in Europe at all? I thought it was all MIC.

This quarter only the UK is being supplied from China. Mainland Europe and Israel is being supplied wholly by the USA.

• Informative
Reactions: Fred42
My daily report is a little early today - I'm off to get a jab against some lurgy that's doing the rounds.

MORNING CAPO
has now left the Bay of Biscay behind and is in an area known as the Western Approaches to the English Channel. She is in no rush as the arrangements for docking in Southampton have changed, again. She will now dock in the Eastern docks at 1330 tomorrow before moving across to the Western docks at 2000 tomorrow night. This change of docks is a regular thing in Southampton, as the two docks are not connected.

CAPO MED Progress .png

LAKE GENEVA is currently about 80NM south of Flores, the westernmost island in the Azores archipelago. She intends to pass to the east of Flores which may provide a temporary respite from the 3.5m Atlantic swell which has slowed her progress over the last couple of days.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge has slipped a further hour to 1400Z on 7 Mar .

GENEVA Atlantic Progress.png

GLOVIS SIRIUS is cruising along the south coast of Panama at 16kts and will shortly enter the Gulf of Panama. She is scheduled to arrive off Balboa this evening but will actually arrive later this afternoon. I would expect her to anchor overnight and to transit the canal early tomorrow morning however there remains a chance that she could transit later today. She is too wide to transit the old locks and so must use the new locks. I will post so more information on the Panama Canal with links to webcams etc later today. At the moment I still have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Mar.

Enter the GLOVIS SIRIUS competition today as it will close as soon as she enters the locks.
Click HERE to enter.

SIRIUS Pacif Prog.png

TANNHAUSER This is the ship that I believe is bringing a 3rd consignment of cars to the UK this quarter from Shanghai.
She is currently heading north through the Red Sea enroute to the Suez Canal where she is due to arrive on Friday. Although not publicly scheduled to arrive in Southampton, I believe she will arrive there on 16 Mar.

TAH Red Sea.png

VIKING BRAVERY is the last Tesla ship movement of 2021 Q1 and will depart from Newark, New Jersey on 9 Mar. I estimate that she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 17 Mar.

GLOVIS SIRIUS is presently arriving at the entrance to the Panama Canal and I expect that she will anchor this evening just off the entrance to the canal and then commence her transit in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

She will have paid a fee to jump the queue and so I am pretty confident she won't be waiting long.
The first indication of something happening will be the arrival alongside her of a canal pilot. He will board the ship and she will then head up towards the first set of locks, the Cocoli locks. This set comprises 3 chambers which will lift the ship a total of 85t. The ship will now be level with Gatun lake and she can make her way to the set of locks at the other end of the canal, the Agua Clara locks which will then lower the ship 85ft to the Caribbean in 3 stages.

The Panama Canal provides a shortcut for shipping travelling from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean and vice-versa. Instead of having to route to the south of South America and then back up, a distance of about 10,000 nm the canal offers a mere 51 mile transit. This comes at a big (well into 6 figures USD) price, calculated by a complicated formula, designed to maximise revenue to the canal operators. The original canal opened in 1914 and was an immediate success. In the first year it handled about 1000 ships and by 2008 it was handling nearly 15,000. These figures alone don’t tell the whole story because ships were getting bigger and bigger and one of the limits to the size of ships being built was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. Ships that were built to fit (just) into the locks were described as Panamax ships. That is why so many cruise ships, container ships and car carriers are 32.3m wide and have a draft of under 12.6m.

The expansion of global trade and the increase in shipping meant that the canal was becoming a bottleneck with frequent delays and queues of ships waiting to transit. Fees for queue jumping became ever more expensive and ever more necessary to avoid delays. Alternatives to the canal were seriously being considered eg the NW passage and a number of alternative canal routes that avoided Panama completely. Panama relies on the income from the canal and could not afford for any of the alternatives plans to be viable and so the plan for the expansion to the existing canal system was commenced in 2007 and completed in 2016. This introduced two new sets of locks built parallel to the existing locks. Significantly, they now allow ships up to 366m long, 49m wide and with a draft of up to 15m to transit the canal. The new locks are of a modern design which use less water and are regarded as safer and more reliable too.

So a Panamax ship like GLOVIS COMPANION will use the old locks - Miraflores, Pedro Miguel and Gatun locks to transit whereas bigger ships like GLOVIS SIRIUS have to use the new locks at Cocoli and Agua Clara.

The canal is big business and so is generally a pretty slick operation entirely dependent on how much you have paid. The Tesla ships are normally booked in several weeks in advance and are given a pretty high priority. Delays of more than 24 hours are rare and normally we can expect the ships to start their northbound transit in the small hours of the morning and be in the Caribbean around 8 hours later.

There are webcams at the locks so you can watch the ships going through. The link to the webcams are here There are plenty of youtube videos and documentaries on the canal, its operation and construction, many of which are very good.

For GLOVIS SIRIUS, I am unsure of when to expect her transit. I will be keeping an eye on her just in case she does manage to start her transit today. If she waits until tomorrow I would expect her to be at Cocoli around 6-7 am UK time tomorrow. By the time she reaches Agua Clara locks it will be daylight. I expect her to be in the Caribbean shortly after 3pm UK time.
cfabbfa9-7989-4d9f-82b9-fdbe12efee8a-png.582713

Thanks to @Mister J for providing the above graphic.

• Informative
Reactions: oconnellm
MORNING CAPO arrived off the Isle of Wight in the early hours of this morning and is now just loitering 10 -15NM off the coast waiting for her berth. Annoyingly her arrival has just been further delayed. The ship currently occupying Berth 44, AUTO ECO is now not going to depart until 17:30 which would ordinarliy mean a delay until about 19:30 for MORNING CAPO. The fact that Southampton have not yet published that time indicates to me that they are trying to work out an alternative plan. She is still scheduled to move to the Western docks to unload her precious Tesla cargo at 23:00 but I'm sure that will be delayed too.
Things might change but in the meantime watch for AUTO ECO preparing to depart because that will be the cue for MORNING CAPO to proceed in.
Some trivia: the berth she will occupy under the current plan in the Eastern Docks (44) was the berth TITANIC departed from in 1912. The bollards that the ships attach their lines to are still the originals and the ones that TITANIC used have been painted gold (more orangey if you ask me). Keep watching the Southampton movements page which is regularly updated for the latest info.

LAKE GENEVA passed the Azores yesterday and took up a more NE’ly course towards the western entrance of the English Channel. She still has just under 1300NM to go but at her current speed will arrive 4 hrs later than her latest estimate.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is currently 1400Z on 7 Mar but unless she increases speed soon is likely to slip further to 1800Z at the earliest.

GENEVA Atlantic Progress.png

GLOVIS SIRIUS is currently navigating the Panama Canal. So far it has been going very smoothly and she should enter the Agua Clara locks very shortly but despite that she has posted an ETA for Zeebrugge of 0500 16 Mar. This should not prove to be much of a challenge to achieve. Looking at the weather ahead for her there doesn’t appear to be anything of any consequence enroute making a great circle course a possibility. Nevertheless if it was up to me I would still choose to route via the Mona Passage and through the Azores rather than a great circle course just in case something brews up - beware 'the ides of March'.

TANNHAUSER This is the ship that I believe is bringing a 3rd consignment of cars to the UK this quarter from Shanghai. She continues to head north through the Red Sea enroute to the Suez Canal where she is due to arrive tomorrow evening. Although not publicly scheduled to arrive in Southampton, I believe she will arrive there on 16 Mar.

TAH Red Sea.png

VIKING BRAVERY remains scheduled to depart from Newark, New Jersey on 9 Mar. I estimate that she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 17 Mar. Lookout for the competition opening up later today!

The VIKING BRAVERY will be the final 'Tesla' ship to depart to Europe this quarter.
She is scheduled to depart New Jersey on 9 Mar and I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 17 Mar.
For the competition, all you have to do is use your skill and judgement to guess which square the ship will be in at Midday UTC on 14 Mar 21.
Atlantic Major Squares NY-Zee.png

Click HERE to enter
This is the final competition for some time and so give it a go! It's free.
The less said about the prize that awaits the winner the better.
The competition will close as soon as the ship departs the pier in New Jersey however the winner will be the person who chose the closest minor square first.

Reactions: ElectricAlex
Over in the Caribbean, early indications are that GLOVIS SIRIUS has elected to enter the Atlantic via the Windward Passage, the first Tesla ship to do that this quarter. It's highly likely that she will follow a great circle course too. The words of Sgt Wilson "Do you think that's wise, Sir?" spring to mind. Whilst the weather forecast looks good at the moment, it is still March......
Meanwhile over in the Mediterranean, GRANDE MEDITERRANEO has arrived in Ashdod, Israel and should be disgorging the first shipment of Model 3s to Israel.
Whilst in the Solent, nothing is happening. MORNING CAPO is still waiting....

Over in the Caribbean, early indications are that GLOVIS SIRIUS has elected to enter the Atlantic via the Windward Passage, the first Tesla ship to do that this quarter. It's highly likely that she will follow a great circle course too. The words of Sgt Wilson "Do you think that's wise, Sir?" spring to mind. Whilst the weather forecast looks good at the moment, it is still March......
Meanwhile over in the Mediterranean, GRANDE MEDITERRANEO has arrived in Ashdod, Israel and should be disgorging the first shipment of Model 3s to Israel.
Whilst in the Solent, nothing is happening. MORNING CAPO is still waiting....
... out of interest, why does the Morning Capo have to visit pier 44 first?
The berth in the western docks is free so couldn't it just go straight there.

Status
Not open for further replies.