Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by Tesla today that my SR+ is on a ship that is in transit and due to arrive "2nd week of June". The agent sounded pretty confident in that estimate and said I should work on the basis of getting the car towards the end of 2nd week or June or early in the 3rd week of June. So Glovis Sun looks too early for that timetable, unless the Zeebrugge 4th June date is right, then onwards to Southampton...so after that it would either look like it is on Lake Geneva if that comes to Southampton or Hyperion Ray, which would now seem quite tight for those dates.

I was told that my SR+ left China on the 20th of April.
As a matter of interest I've looked back in my records to see what ships left Shanghai on 20 April and there were no ships of interest then. What they probably meant was that it left the factory gate on the 20th and would be on the next ship to depart which was the GLOVIS SUN on 29 April.
I still don't know the ships itinerary however we will know much more when she clears the Suez Canal next Wednesday.

Reactions: Yeahyeahyeah
LAKE FUXIAN passed through the Mona Passage into the Atlantic yesterday.
Her present position would suggest that she has taken up a great circle course to the English Channel.
The North Atlantic weather forecast for the next week looks pretty good.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 22 May

Fuxian Atlantic.png

GLOVIS CHORUS is currently about 110NM off the coast of Costa Rica and is maintaining just over 17 kts.
She is due to arrive at the Panama Canal late tomorrow night and I expect her to transit the canal early on Saturday morning.
There are a couple of significant localised thunderstorms in her way to Panama but apart from that the weather should be fine.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge will be around 27 May

The GLOVIS CHORUS competition is open. ENTER HERE
Remember the competition will close for new entries when the ship enters the Panama Canal, so do it now!

CHORUS PAC.png

GLOVIS CENTURY remains alongside Pier 80.
All indications are that she will depart tomorrow evening (local time).
Her destination is almost certainly to be Zeebrugge. (Port bookings elsewhere have now been cancelled)
I calculate an ETA there of around 4 Jun

RCC AFRICA arrived alongside Zeebrugge from Shanghai yesterday.

GLOVIS SUN is bound for the Suez Canal from Shanghai with an ETA there of 18 May.
My ETA for her in Zeebrugge is 28 May and possibly Southampton around 31 May.
The Zeebrugge Port Schedule is showing her arriving there on 4 Jun.

GL SUN to Suez.png

LAKE GENEVA is enroute to Suez with an ETA of 27 May.
She didn’t stop at Singapore for fuel after all and is currently heading north through the Straits of Malacca
I estimate that she will arrive at Zeebrugge around 6 Jun.

Geneva to Suez.png

HYPERION RAY is the ship that I believe will be coming to Southampton.
She has departed Shanghai, after being alongside for 26 hrs, for Suez.
Her ETA for Suez is 30 May which is a fast voyage especially when compared to LAKE GENEVA that is taking 3 days longer for the same journey.

Hyp Ray S China Sea.png

One of the above 3 ships from Shanghai will probably be scheduled to call in at Ashdod, Israel - if conditions allow.

GRAND VISION is no longer of interest.
HAMBURG HIGHWAY has departed to Singapore and as a matter of routine has been added to my watch list, but with a very low expectation.

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG
I was told by Tesla today that my SR+ is on a ship that is in transit and due to arrive "2nd week of June". The agent sounded pretty confident in that estimate and said I should work on the basis of getting the car towards the end of 2nd week or June or early in the 3rd week of June. So Glovis Sun looks too early for that timetable, unless the Zeebrugge 4th June date is right, then onwards to Southampton...so after that it would either look like it is on Lake Geneva if that comes to Southampton or Hyperion Ray, which would now seem quite tight for those dates.

I spoke to Tesla yesterday who told me that my SR+ was on a ship due to arrive in Southampton end of May/beginning of June.

I then got an email response today to a 4 day old email telling me 2nd week of June for delivery. I'm working on the GLOVIS SUN being the ship for me.

I spoke to Tesla yesterday who told me that my SR+ was on a ship due to arrive in Southampton end of May/beginning of June.

I then got an email response today to a 4 day old email telling me 2nd week of June for delivery. I'm working on the GLOVIS SUN being the ship for me.
I've been told very much the same for my SR+, due into Birmingham around 10th of June. At least we're getting consistent information!

Reactions: Yeahyeahyeah
The Tesla rep that phoned me today said all the M3LR's were coming on one "June boat" and that the boat has only just left/is about to leave and said it would arrive in mid June which would be around the 28 day mark now.

Something sounds off here as I ordered a M3LR and got the delivery text last night - I now have a scheduled collection date of May 22nd at Brent Cross.

That seems to suggest that some M3LRs have entered the UK already on a previous ship?

Something sounds off here as I ordered a M3LR and got the delivery text last night - I now have a scheduled collection date of May 22nd at Brent Cross.

That seems to suggest that some M3LRs have entered the UK already on a previous ship?
I had similar with my SR+. Mine would probably have been on the GLOVIS SUN but I was told it was already in Southampton so perhaps your particular Car spec hit a match on an existing one sat in Southampton with no owner?

The Tesla rep that phoned me today said all the M3LR's were coming on one "June boat" and that the boat has only just left/is about to leave and said it would arrive in mid June which would be around the 28 day mark now.
Perhaps the agent didn't really mean "all the M3LR's" since the agent I spoke to yesterday about my M3LR said it was on the Glovis Sun, which left a little while ago. Or perhaps by the "June boat" he meant the Glovis Sun. Or maybe "arrive by mid June" refers to the date of delivery to you, rather than the arrival date of the ship ... Or maybe we just shouldn't attach too much weight to what the Tesla sales guys say when their information is rather vague and not specific 😵.

Has anyone else found their UK sales guys unresponsive to emails after placing an order? When I phoned my contact to chase for a response, he said he didn't receive my first reply to his email, although he was then helpful on the call. However, since then two subsequent emails of mine have also gone unanswered. The contrast between this lack of response and how the sales team were all over me before I parted with £100 couldn't be more stark. Not entirely unsurprising but still a bit disappointing.

@Mr Miserable - I see that Hyperion Ray has Suez listed as its destination. If I'm not mistaken, all previous Tesla ships departing Shanghai had Singapore initially listed as their destination where they stopped and refuelled. Does that suggest Hyperion Ray won't be stopping to refuel at Shanghai? Would that explain the fast voyage to Suez?

Reactions: 2021_M3P
@Mr Miserable - I see that Hyperion Ray has Suez listed as its destination. If I'm not mistaken, all previous Tesla ships departing Shanghai had Singapore initially listed as their destination where they stopped and refuelled. Does that suggest Hyperion Ray won't be stopping to refuel at Shanghai? Would that explain the fast voyage to Suez?
As per the latest daily update above Lake Geneva didn’t stop at Singapore either and she is reporting 3 days less than the actual time taken by Lake Geneva.

It’s fairly pressing on but an achievable time scale. Probably down to the charter party accepting to pay fuel for a transit slightly above economical speed, this is often the case for time sensitive deliveries or when the next charter is more lucrative than the current one.

As per the latest daily update above Lake Geneva didn’t stop at Singapore either and she is reporting 3 days less than the actual time taken by Lake Geneva.

It’s fairly pressing on but an achievable time scale. Probably down to the charter party accepting to pay fuel for a transit slightly above economical speed, this is often the case for time sensitive deliveries or when the next charter is more lucrative than the current one.
Thanks for the clarification regarding Lake Geneva also not having stopped to refuel!

Yes She should route non-stop to Suez.
However, LAKE GENEVA is also routing non-stop to Suez but is taking 3 days longer. I remarked when she left Shanghai that her ETA for Suez was pretty unambitious and postulated that she may stop in Singapore to bunker but she didn't. She's just a slow boat from China.

Edit: I didn't spot that @Alic01 had already supplied a better answer.

Reactions: Jez_GB and M3P_W8
These ships traditionally use the cheapest fuel available - heavy fuel oil. This is a residue from a crude oil distillation process. It's dirty and dangerously polluting particularly with regard to sulphur.

New regulations came in to force in 2020 in an effort to significantly reduce reduce sulphur emissions from ships.
Sulphur 2020 – cutting sulphur oxide emissions

So ships can still use heavy fuel oil as long as they have a scrubber fitted to the exhaust system otherwise the ships will have been converted to run on a low sulphur fuel oil or marine gas oil as it is now called.

It is actually only half the story though.

So what happens to the sulphur that has been removed from the exhaust by the scrubber?

A scrubber is not a cheap device and there are essentially 3 systems on the market, a closed loop system, an open loop system and a hybrid system.

The closed loop system collects the sulphur into a storage tank for dedicated safe disposal when in port. It's the more expensive option which is why only 65 ships worldwide have one fitted. The cheapest system (£1.5m per ship and upwards) collects the pollutants in a liquid form and then discharges it into the sea - an open loop system. Now you don't need to be a bearded sandal wearing eco warrior to spot the flaw with this. Yes the air is cleaner however the ships are now discharging into the sea a lot of very acidic, warm, polluted water. I say a lot, because for every ton of fuel burned, 45 tons of the contaminated washwater is discharged.

Authorities around the world are banning ships that use an open loop system from their waters because they can see the damage that is being caused by them. China is one of them. China!

There is no EU ruling and so individual countries are having to impose restrictions to their waters. Belgium, Ireland and Germany have taken the lead so far. Note that I didn't mention the UK here.

The hybrid system is the result. The pollutants are stored onboard until clear of the controlled waters and then discharged.
Now think about where the UK sits geographically and where ships are likely to empty their accumulated waste.....

LAKE FUXIAN is making good progress along her great circle course across the Atlantic.
The North Atlantic weather forecast continues to be fair.

The competition results for LAKE FUXIAN will be announced shortly after midday UTC today.

Fuxian Atlantic.png

GLOVIS CHORUS is currently cruising along the south coast of Panama at just over 16 kts.
She will enter the Gulf of Panama later this evening.
I expect her to transit the canal early tomorrow morning.
I will post some information on the Panama Canal and the link to the webcams later today.

The competition will close for new entries when the ship enters the Panama Canal, so do it now!

CHORUS PAC.png

The latest information I have is that she will depart in about 4 hours time (4pm UK time)
Her destination is almost certainly to be Zeebrugge.

GLOVIS SUN is bound for the Suez Canal from Shanghai with an ETA there of 18 May.
She has now entered the Gulf of Aden and is heading down the Yemeni coast.

GL SUN to Suez.png

She is currently exiting the Straits of Malacca at 17kts.
She stopped for about 3 hours this morning and I am assuming this was for crew training.

Geneva to Suez.png

She is routing non-stop to Suez and is currently about 40 NM north of Taiwan making 16kts.
I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 8 Jun.
Hyp Ray S China Sea.png

One of the above 3 ships from Shanghai will probably be scheduled to call in at Ashdod, Israel - if conditions allow.

Satellite data supplied courtesy of marinetraffic

LAKE FUXIAN is making good progress along her great circle course across the Atlantic.
The North Atlantic weather forecast continues to be fair.

The competition results for LAKE FUXIAN will be announced shortly after midday UTC today.

View attachment 662225
GLOVIS CHORUS is currently cruising along the south coast of Panama at just over 16 kts.
She will enter the Gulf of Panama later this evening.
I expect her to transit the canal early tomorrow morning.
I will post some information on the Panama Canal and the link to the webcams later today.

The competition will close for new entries when the ship enters the Panama Canal, so do it now!

View attachment 662226

The latest information I have is that she will depart in about 4 hours time (4pm UK time)
Her destination is almost certainly to be Zeebrugge.

She has now entered the Gulf of Aden and is heading down the Yemeni coast.

View attachment 662227

She is currently exiting the Straits of Malacca at 17kts.
She stopped for about 3 hours this morning and I am assuming this was for crew training.

View attachment 662228

She is routing non-stop to Suez and is currently about 40 NM north of Taiwan making 16kts.
I expect her to arrive in Southampton around 8 Jun.
View attachment 662229

Satellite data supplied courtesy of marinetraffic
with m3p and lr on?

Status
Not open for further replies.