Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HYPERION RAY has now departed Southampton and is enroute to Zeebrugge.

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 15.02.00.png

Reactions: Alic01
HYPERION RAY departed Southampton yesterday afternoon to Zeebrugge.
She is presently in the process of docking in Zeebrugge.

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 11.04.44.png

HYPERION RAY arriving in Zeebrugge earlier.

GLOVIS COUNTESS is the final ship of Q2 and is enroute from San Francisco to Zeebrugge.
She is presently in the English Channel about 20 miles south of the Lizard.
Unfortunately she has now been rescheduled to dock in Zeebrugge once HYPERION RAY vacates Pier 509 tomorrow and so we are now looking at an afternoon arrival, at the earliest.
As a consequence, she has slowed. What a shame.
All that effort and a considerable extra amount fuel burnt and she is going to end up waiting to dock.

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 11.29.14.png

You are most kind!
I don't like touting however needs must...
All I ask from UK readers is that if they have found the thread of interest while they waited, and waited, for the arrival of their shiny new Tesla that they consider using my Octopus referral when they switch their electricity supplier to Octopus. Charging an EV at 5p per kWh, or less, is a no-brainer!
For those overseas, I do have a GoFundMe account.
The links to all these are in my profile.
I shall reposition my yacht to the south of France from my winter Caribbean bolthole in anticipation....
While I completely understand not wanting to tout, the chances of getting a significant part of your expenses covered would increase if you'd be willing to post this exact message maybe once a week or so during "transit season" every quarter. It seems to me that the people who most benefitted from the info in this thread as they were trying to track their deliveries will have shifted to other threads on TMC once they received their cars -- or at least once the cars are unloaded at their destination, which is currently the case with the vast majority of Q2 imports -- and won't see this.

Thank you again for your efforts!

GLOVIS COUNTESS It looks very much like she is going to call at Brixham to pick up a deep water pilot around 4pm UK time.

An article here describes what a deep water pilot does.
Very interesting article, TBH ive never heard of the role, clearly a skilled job for a very trained and experienced person fully familiar with all the variables applicable to the area they work in.... there was me, picturing a guy in full "20,000 leagues under the sea" diving gear flying along the seabed. 😂

GLOVIS COUNTESS is the final ship of Q2 and is enroute from San Francisco to Zeebrugge.
Over the last 24 hours she gently paced herself through the English Channel and has now arrived off Zeebrugge and picked up her harbour pilot.
She is now heading towards the harbour and the Vandamme lock which has been out of action for maintenance this morning.
She is meant to be heading for 509 where HYPERION RAY is currently located.

Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 12.47.31.png

GLOVIS COUNTESS entering Zeebrugge outer harbour

Last edited:
As Q2 shipments complete, I thought it timely to provide some figures for the 10 ships we have seen this quarter.
These shipments are direct shipments to UK, France and Israel as well as those to Europe and Scandinavia + Switzerland via Zeebrugge.

For those unfamiliar, an RT43 unit equates to a 1966 Toyota which is considerably smaller than a Model 3 in all respects but nevertheless gives an idea of the capacity of each ship. From previous quarters RT43 figures and Tesla's declared deliveries for that quarter, a pretty accurate estimate for Q2 deliveries should be able to be deduced from the figures below.

1623589462097.png

As Q2 shipments complete, I thought it timely to provide some figures for the 10 ships we have seen this quarter.
These shipments are direct shipments to UK, France and Israel as well as those to Europe and Scandinavia + Switzerland via Zeebrugge.

For those unfamiliar, an RT43 unit equates to a 1966 Toyota which is considerably smaller than a Model 3 in all respects but nevertheless gives an idea of the capacity of each ship. From previous quarters RT43 figures and Tesla's declared deliveries for that quarter, a pretty accurate estimate for Q2 deliveries should be able to be deduced from the figures below.

View attachment 672951
For reference, the Q1 numbers are below: 67642 RT43 units in Q1 vs. 67327 in Q2 suggesting similar delivery numbers as in Q1.

Some folk like these quarterly summaries.
The RT value is a unit of measure that relates to a 1966 Toyota.
The way to use this chart is to compare the Total RT value from previous quarters with known import values for that specific quarter. With that comparison you should get a pretty good idea of likely 2021 Q1 figures.
The only vague areas are that I do not believe MORNING CAPO and GRANDE TEXAS were likely to be full loads. Having said that, since nearly all the UK shipments will have been delivered and registered during March the approximate combined figure of the 3 shipments should become publicly available in early April. (Some of the Southampton cars will have gone to Ireland)

View attachment 645889
View attachment 645890

For reference, the Q1 numbers are below: 67642 RT43 units in Q1 vs. 67327 in Q2 suggesting similar delivery numbers as in Q1.
I think I explained in Q1 my doubts about whether a couple of ships were filled to capacity. The official stats released subsequently seemed to confirm that these doubts were correct.
On that basis I think you can safely assume the numbers for Q2 will be up on Q1. The challenge, as always, is to get those deliveries made by the end of the month and not leave any sitting on the various docksides.
For the UK an increasingly large portion of their sales are to leasing companies who don't share the end of quarter frenzy attitude of Tesla and the challenge here is try and get them onboard. The Tesla quarter end figures require the lease to be activated and for that to happen the car must be with the end user. The administration of the leasing companies are aligned to the largely automated SMMT systems and so are not configured to handle the labour intensive requirements of a Tesla (who are not a member of the SMMT) transaction.

So for those of us that have missed the Q2 window, and are being quoted August by Tesla - at what point would we expect to be pulled into the shipping world and tracking of shipping movements. (ie how soon do the ships start moving again for bringing over Q3 cars).

Equally, any tips as to how we go about trying to determine which ship our car may be on...

Been ready with interest all those getting their cars at the moment, and just feeling that August currently feels a long time away!

Reactions: Matt1108
Thank you for this amazing thread! I ordered my Model 3 LR on June 19. I am located in the Czech Republic and the delivery estimate was (and still is) November 2021. That seems quite long :) When I check the UK/Ireland Tesla website it shows the delivery estimate August 2021 for the very same model. However, Germany, Austria & rest of the EU shows November 2021. The question is, any chance for the November estimate to follow the suit of the UK/Ireland, or the other way round is likely? Thank you. Tomas

Thank you for this amazing thread! I ordered my Model 3 LR on June 19. I am located in the Czech Republic and the delivery estimate was (and still is) November 2021. That seems quite long :) When I check the UK/Ireland Tesla website it shows the delivery estimate August 2021 for the very same model. However, Germany, Austria & rest of the EU shows November 2021. The question is, any chance for the November estimate to follow the suit of the UK/Ireland, or the other way round is likely? Thank you. Tomas
That is interesting.
The UK/Ireland are supplied from China whereas LHD Europe Model 3 LR were being supplied from USA.
Your quoted delivery date in Q4 would tend to indicate that I should not expect many ships from Fremont to Europe in Q3 with LHD Model 3 LR on board.
Tesla in the past have been prone to promise earlier delivery dates than could be achieved and so in one way it is refreshing to see them being more realistic.
Due to the way that Tesla manufacture and ship, November looks a genuine month for a Q4 delivery whereas if they had said October I would say there would be zero chance of delivery. If the date was to move forward it would have to come forward to September and into Q3. If that was possible I am sure they would have said it and so I'm inclined to think you are unlikely to get an earlier delivery. Sorry, but it's worth the wait!

That is interesting.
The UK/Ireland are supplied from China whereas LHD Europe Model 3 LR were being supplied from USA.
Your quoted delivery date in Q4 would tend to indicate that I should not expect many ships from Fremont to Europe in Q3 with LHD Model 3 LR on board.
Tesla in the past have been prone to promise earlier delivery dates than could be achieved and so in one way it is refreshing to see them being more realistic.
Due to the way that Tesla manufacture and ship, November looks a genuine month for a Q4 delivery whereas if they had said October I would say there would be zero chance of delivery. If the date was to move forward it would have to come forward to September and into Q3. If that was possible I am sure they would have said it and so I'm inclined to think you are unlikely to get an earlier delivery. Sorry, but it's worth the wait!
Thank you for your truly knowledgeable insight, although the outcome is not very encouraging :) Also, I agree with you that the Berlin plant, once operational, will focus on Model Y. Maybe the November estimate has something to do with the LHD Europe Model 3 LR being produced in the US instead in China. Anyway, it will be an interesting Q3 & Q4. I am not sure how exactly their "matching" works, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

I'm more than a bit puzzled at the moment with a ship called TORINO that may be heading into San Francisco.
She's currently 250 NM off the coast and heading towards the port. She should arrive tomorrow.
Her AIS destination is San Francisco but nobody I have managed to speak to seems to know anything about her.
She's not expected at Pier 80, nor Benicia, nor Richmond.
I also can't find her itinerary in the usual places so I suspect she has been chartered.
It's way too early to be picking up Tesla cars for export and so I wonder what she is up to?
Answers on a postcard please...

Status
Not open for further replies.