Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GLOVIS CAPTAIN continues to make excellent progress whilst continuing in her quest to avoid the worst of the Atlantic weather. As expected she passed to the E of the Azores and is now on course for the English Channel. At the moment it looks as though she has no intention of joining the sea lanes across the Bay of Biscay but plans to remain clear of them to the west. By my calculations she remains on schedule to make her ETA for Zeebrugge around lunchtime on Saturday although as previously reported the Zeebrugge port schedule has her arriving on Sunday.

Glov CAPT Atlantic Progress Q121.png

HORIZON LEADER After a bit of a delay she is now in transit through the Panama Canal. Hopefully I will be able to post updates to her progress periodically later today. My estimate for her arrival in Zeebrugge is 15 Feb.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 12.09.02.png

GRAND RUBY left Pier 80 yesterday shortly after 8 am local (4pm UK). She is currently maintaining an average of just over 16kts and is WSW of Los Angeles.
I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Feb.

The GRAND RUBY competition is now up and running! ENTER HERE!

GrandRubyPac.png

GLOVIS COMPANION continues to lurk just off the coast and won’t arrive alongside Pier 80 until later tonight in preparation for loading to commence tomorrow. My ETA for her in Zeebrugge is 28 Feb.

LAKE GENEVA is due to arrive alongside Pier 80 on 10 Feb. I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 7 Mar

GLOVIS SIRIUS will arrive at Pier 80 on 16 Feb. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and I suspect probably the last ship of Q1 to Europe. I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 12 Mar

GLOVIS CENTURY I’m pretty confident that this ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
She is making good progress across the Arabian Sea and there are no weather concerns for her at the moment.
She is due to arrive in Suez on 8 Feb and I estimate Southampton around 18 Feb

Century to Suez.png

MORNING CELLO I suspect this ship may be heading to the UK with MIC Tesla Model 3s onboard too.
I have still not received a satellite-derived position report from her and so I have estimated her position on the chart. She is due to arrive in in Suez on 12 Feb and my estimate for her arrival in Southampton is now 21 Feb.

Morn Cello Sin Suez.png

GRAND CHOICE She departed Shanghai last Wednesday and is another ship that is on my list of suspects. As expected she departed Singapore enroute to Jeddah. This ship is heading for Southampton but she is on a stopping ‘all stations’ service and won’t arrive there until 11 Mar. This would normally rule it out from being a Tesla ship but I’m not sure the UK market is large enough at the moment to take a full shipment and so the UK Tesla portion of this ship may be only one or 2 deck fulls. We shall see. She’s currently in the Straits of Malacca and I will just monitor her progress rather than track her every move.

TORONTO is in the South China Sea. She is due to arrive off Singapore on Friday. TORONTO is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 26 Feb but may have a stop in Athens (which makes me wonder if this is really a Tesla ship).

MORNING CAPO This ship has all the hallmarks of being a Tesla ship and has just departed Shanghai enroute to Singapore where she is due to arrive at midnight Z on 8 Feb. I expect this to be just a bunkering stop (refuel). She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Mar

• Informative
Reactions: EricVet and ABCTG
As mentioned earlier the HORIZON LEADER competition is now closed, however the good news is:

All you have to do is, using your skill and judgement, decide where GRAND RUBY will be at MiddayZ on 16 Feb 21.
It's free, quick and simple to enter and there is no prize. It's just a bit of fun!
Only 1 entry per person.
In the event of a tie, the person who chose the closest minor gridsquare first will be declared the winner.
The competition will close when GRAND RUBY enters the Panama Canal.

atlantic-major-squares-png.630823

Click HERE to enter

Reactions: EricVet and ABCTG
It's going to be interesting to see which route HORIZON LEADER takes to enter the Atlantic. Looking at the latest long-term weather forecast there is a strong argument for her to take the Windward Passage rather than the shorter Mona Passage route on this ocassion however whatever route she decides to take, the forecast shows that she will face some horrendous weather in about a weeks time wherever she is in the Atlantic.

Caribbean.png

We won't know which route she decides to take until a few hours after leaving the Panama Canal when she is clear of the traffic separation scheme ( a one-way corridor ) that she will be constrained by for the first 20nm or so.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: gm03 and ABCTG
GLOVIS CAPTAIN has done a cracking job in avoiding the worst of the Atlantic weather and there are no further weather issues for the remainder of her voyage. She is continuing to maintain just under 17kts on course for the English Channel. By my calculations she remains on schedule to make her ETA for Zeebrugge around lunchtime on Saturday although as previously reported the Zeebrugge port schedule has her arriving on Sunday.

Glov CAPT Atlantic Progress Q121.png

HORIZON LEADER completed her transit through the Panama Canal yesterday and is now in the Caribbean enroute to the Mona Passage. She updated her AIS to show an ETA for Zeebrugge of 1900z 14 Feb.

HL Caribb.png

GRAND RUBY is doing well on her passage to Panama, maintaining 17kts and is already halfway down Mexico’s Baja California peninsula.
There are no weather concerns for her at the moment.
I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Feb.

The GRAND RUBY competition is now up and running! ENTER HERE!

GrandRubyPac.png

GLOVIS COMPANION arrived alongside Pier 80 late last night in preparation for loading to commence today.
My ETA for her in Zeebrugge is 28 Feb.

GLOVIS SOLOMON I’m keeping an eye on this ship at the moment. She is currently inbound to Benicia and the timing looks right for a possible visit to Pier 80. It may come to nothing but we shall see….

LAKE GENEVA is due to arrive alongside Pier 80 on 10 Feb. I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 7 Mar

GLOVIS SIRIUS will arrive at Pier 80 on 16 Feb. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and I suspect probably the last ship of Q1 to Europe. I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 12 Mar

GLOVIS CENTURY I’m pretty confident that this ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
She continues to make steady progress and is now about to enter the Gulf of Aden. There are no weather concerns for her at the moment.
She is due to arrive in Suez on 8 Feb and I estimate Southampton around 18 Feb

Century to Suez.png

MORNING CELLO I suspect this ship may be heading to the UK with Tesla Model 3s onboard too.
I have still not received a satellite-derived position report from her and so I have estimated her position on the chart. She is due to arrive in in Suez on 12 Feb and my estimate for her arrival in Southampton is 21 Feb.

Morn Cello Sin Suez.png

GRAND CHOICE She departed Shanghai last week and is another ship that is on my list of suspects. She is currently enroute to Jeddah. This ship is heading for Southampton but she is on a stopping ‘all stations’ service and won’t arrive there until 11 Mar. This would normally rule it out from being a Tesla ship but I’m not sure the UK market is large enough at the moment to take a full shipment and so the UK Tesla portion of this ship may be only one or 2 deck fulls. We shall see. I will just monitor her progress rather than track her every move.

TORONTO is in the South China Sea. She is due to arrive off Singapore tomorrow. TORONTO is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 26 Feb but may have a stop in Athens (which makes me wonder if this is really a Tesla ship).

MORNING CAPO This ship has all the hallmarks of being a Tesla ship and departed Shanghai yesterday enroute to Singapore where she is due to arrive at midnight Z on 8 Feb. I expect this to be just a bunkering stop (refuel). She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Mar

• Informative
Reactions: EricVet
We won't know which route she decides to take until a few hours after leaving the Panama Canal when she is clear of the traffic separation scheme ( a one-way corridor ) that she will be constrained by for the first 20nm or so.
The use of "nm" for nautical miles makes me smile every time because by brain first interprets it as an SI unit, which just happens to be a unit of length too. There's something in the absurdity of that interpretation that never fails to tickle my funny bone.

The use of "nm" for nautical miles makes me smile every time because by brain first interprets it as an SI unit, which just happens to be a unit of length too. There's something in the absurdity of that interpretation that never fails to tickle my funny bone.
Actually you raise a valid point, I should use NM (in capitals).
I'll give it a go!

Me too, I keep expanding it as nanometer in my head, which made me think that the captains of those two ships which came within 16nm from each other were extremely talented.

• Funny
Reactions: EricVet and Cardo
Thanks again for all these updates, it is strangely fascinating to watch the progress of these huge vessels and I've learnt a lot about the Panama Canal.
I received a text today from Tesla saying that a vehicle had been allocated to my order, although the web chat help people told me that the allocation happened yesterday. I don't think that ties in with any ships finishing loading and leaving China though does it? (I am assuming I'll get a MIC VIN, but haven't been told that yet)

Thanks again for all these updates, it is strangely fascinating to watch the progress of these huge vessels and I've learnt a lot about the Panama Canal.
I received a text today from Tesla saying that a vehicle had been allocated to my order, although the web chat help people told me that the allocation happened yesterday. I don't think that ties in with any ships finishing loading and leaving China though does it? (I am assuming I'll get a MIC VIN, but haven't been told that yet)
Annoyingly it does!
HOEGH COPENHAGEN is loading in Shanghai at the moment. She will arrive in Southampton on 19 March. She is another "slow service" stopping at "all stations".
It would be good to find out when Tesla expect to deliver your car (in the hope that it will be before 19 March and allow me to cross this ship off the list!).
At the moment though it could be a further indication that Tesla are not using dedicated charters to the UK but available space on scheduled services.
On the other hand, I'm surprised that any RHD vehicles are left in Shanghai to ship, since I believe RHD production stopped a couple of weeks ago.

Annoyingly it does!
HOEGH COPENHAGEN is loading in Shanghai at the moment. She will arrive in Southampton on 19 March. She is another "slow service" stopping at "all stations".
It would be good to find out when Tesla expect to deliver your car (in the hope that it will be before 19 March and allow me to cross this ship off the list!).
Unfortunately I don’t yet have an estimated delivery date, I will update you as soon as I do.

Given the new push for sales in Greece and the opening of the first supercharger in Athens. Would a stop of the TORONTO not make sense ?
It may do, it's just not normal 'Tesla' behaviour.
Additionally, Chinese money (instead of EU funding) has been pouring in over the last few years to improve the freight handling infrastructure of the port of Piraeus and its land connections. As a consequence it has become very much a Chinese run port now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chinese car brands establish their EU port of entry here.

Status
Not open for further replies.