Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GLOVIS COMPANION quickfire competition.

The results are in!

We have a BULLSEYE!

At 1200z today the ship was located in Grid Square K3 and within its Minor Square 22

The marksman who achieved this amazing feat is @HenryT (K3 22) who was just 19 NM off target. (Distance measured from the centre of the chosen square to the ship's position at midday)

In 2nd place was @EricVet (K3 21) who was a mere 68NM off target.
In 3rd place was @dstyp (K3 24) who was 79NM off target.

Congratulations to all, but there isn't so much as even a cuddly toy to win!

Some trivia for you:
The most popular GridSquare was J3
The most popular Minor Square overall was 7
If you had chosen that combination, which one person did, you would have ended up 317NM off target.

GRAND RUBY’s arrival in Zeebrugge was thankfully brought forward to 1300 today but that has now been delayed a couple of hours. She will now dock at Quay 511 around 1530 today. She is currently loitering near the Zeebrugge anchorage.

The rancid polluter GLOVIS COMPANION is still maintaining her course to pass to the east of the Azores. She is about 170NM SW of Santa Maria, the easternmost island in the Azores, and she is managing to maintain 17kts despite 5m high waves. Conditions should slowly ease for her over the next couple of days. Her ETA for Zeebrugge remains 2100Z on 27 Feb but I fully expect this to slip right. The Zeebrugge port schedule now shows they are expecting her at 1100 on Sunday, which is much more likely.

Glovis Companion Atlantic Progress.png

MORNING CAPO is currently making 16kts about 70NM to the south of Crete. There are no weather concerns for the moment.
ETA Southampton 3 Mar which she can make.

CAPO MED Progress .png

LAKE GENEVA enjoyed a smooth transit of the Panama Canal yesterday and is now in the choppy Caribbean making 14kts enroute to the Mona Passage.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 1000Z on 7 Mar.

GENEVA Caribbean .png

GLOVIS SIRIUS departed Pier 80 yesterday enroute to the Panama Canal.
Her ETA there is 3 Mar which indicates a possible transit on the 4 Mar. She is currently maintaining 15kts about 100NM west of Los Angeles.
She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and the last ship of Q1 to Europe from Pier 80.
I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Mar.

SIRIUS Pacif Prog.png

GRAND MARK is now on her way from Benicia to come alongside Pier 80.
She won’t be staying long and the current plan is for her to depart, possibly to S.Korea tomorrow evening. I should know more tomorrow.
It was GRAND MARK, by the way, that brought the first Model 3s to the UK in June 19 and introduced many unsuspecting UK car buyers to the joys of Tesla ship tracking!

VIKING BRAVERY will depart from New Jersey on 4 Mar bound for Zeebrugge. This continues the custom for Tesla to squeeze an extra boatload to Europe by sending the cars overland by train to New Jersey and then loading them on a ship from there. I estimate that she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 12 Mar which will be ahead of GLOVIS SIRIUS.

GLOVIS SIRIUS, the last ship from Pier 80 this quarter, is on her way! It must be time for:

The GLOVIS SIRIUS competition

As always, it's a delightfully simple competition, as all you have to do is, by using your superior skill and judgement, decide where GLOVIS SIRIUS will be at Midday UTC on 9 Mar 21.

Atlantic Major Squares.png

She will be travelling between Panama (bottom left) and Zeebrugge (top right). I expect her to leave Panama on 4 Mar and arrive in Zeebrugge on 15 Mar. These dates are just my estimates, and so may change.

The rules are simple enough:
  • Only 1 entry per person
  • The winner will be the person who chose the closest minor square first.
  • There is no prize - it's just a bit of fun!
  • The competition will close when GLOVIS SIRIUS enters the Panama Canal.
Good luck!

ENTER HERE

In Zeebrugge, GRAND RUBY has entered the Van Damme lock and will finally arrive alongside within the next hour.
Meanwhile over in California, GRAND MARK has now docked at Pier 80. At the moment, it is looking like she will stay until tomorrow evening.
Out in the Atlantic, GLOVIS COMPANION is becoming visible to terrestrial AIS receivers as she makes her way past the Azores.

@Mr Miserable Thought you may find this interesting...

China has desires to connect the Aegean Sea to the Danube in Belgrade to allow its cargo ships to reach Rotterdam through the centre of Europe.
There are lots of ambitious proposals for tunnels and canals around the world, many or most of which will never be built. That doesn't necessarily mean this one won't, but if it ever is, Tesla's worldwide production will look very different than today.

There are lots of ambitious proposals for tunnels and canals around the world, many or most of which will never be built. That doesn't necessarily mean this one won't, but if it ever is, Tesla's worldwide production will look very different than today.
Yes but just look at the money China has invested in Piraeus - it is now effectively a Chinese port. China is not afraid to invest in big infrastructure projects as long as Chinese organisations do the work. You can see examples of it in Africa - the Mombasa to Nairobi rail link, the roads they have built, it's all big infrastructure at very favorable terms.

Reactions: Fred42
I just noticed a 2 day old article (Feb 22) here that talks about the first shipment of Teslas to Israel. Details mentioned in the article:
  • Expected to arrive Feb 27
  • Port is Ashdod
  • Ship is the Grimaldi Group "Grande Mediterraneo"
  • Vehicles are shipped from the US to Portugal, reloaded there to the Grande Mediterraneo
  • 70 Teslas expected in this shipment, another 50 in March
There is no breakdown of vehicles by model number, so no info on Model S, X, 3, Y. It is not clear if any Model S/X would be shipped as completed vehicles or would require the European mini-assembly stuff as per cars going to EU.

I just noticed a 2 day old article (Feb 22) here that talks about the first shipment of Teslas to Israel. Details mentioned in the article:
  • Expected to arrive Feb 27
  • Port is Ashdod
  • Ship is the Grimaldi Group "Grande Mediterraneo"
  • Vehicles are shipped from the US to Portugal, reloaded there to the Grande Mediterraneo
  • 70 Teslas expected in this shipment, another 50 in March
There is no breakdown of vehicles by model number, so no info on Model S, X, 3, Y. It is not clear if any Model S/X would be shipped as completed vehicles or would require the European mini-assembly stuff as per cars going to EU.
Yes I've seen it. Some of the article is nonesense eg the Portugal bit. There is a suggestion that the name of the ship came from this thread. I believe the ship was loaded with Tesla's in Antwerp.

GRAND RUBY eventually arrived alongside Zeebrugge yesterday evening.

The blatant polluter GLOVIS COMPANION passed to the east of the Azores yesterday. The weather conditions have eased allowing her to increase her speed to over 18kts. There should be no further weather concerns for her. Her ETA for Zeebrugge remains 2100Z on Saturday but I fully expect this to slip right. The Zeebrugge port schedule now shows they are expecting her at 1100 on Sunday, which is much more likely.

MORNING CAPO is maintaing a steady 16kts across the Med. There are no weather concerns for her at the moment.
ETA Southampton 3 Mar, which she is on schedule to make.

CAPO MED Progress .png

LAKE GENEVA is slowly managing to increase speed as conditions improve. She is now up to 16kts as she approaches the Mona Passage.
The Mona Passage is the gap between the Dominican Republic to the west and Puerto Rico to the east.
On the Atlantic side lies the Puerto Rico Trench which is about 8000m deep whereas in the passage it's only about 100m deep.
On the Caribbean side it's about 1000m deep. Additionally, there is a significant current that runs from south to north.
This 'shallowness' in the passage can be responsible for some pretty treacherous seas with some horrendously big waves.
It's not something that is too much of a concern for big ships but for smaller vessels the 'dreaded' Mona Passage has a fearsome reputation and navigating it is something that needs careful advanced planning and respect.
It is also the site of a significant British victory in 1782 when British and French warships engaged there.

She has brought forward her ETA for Zeebrugge to 0700Z on 7 Mar.

GENEVA Caribbean .png

GLOVIS SIRIUS is making steady progress south at just over 17kts along the Mexican Pacific coast. She is already halfway down the Baja California peninsula. The weather is looking fine at the moment all the way to Panama.
She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and the last ship of Q1 to Europe from Pier 80.

Enter the GLOVIS SIRIUS competition. CLICK HERE

SIRIUS Pacif Prog.png

GRAND MARK didn’t stay long at Pier 80 - she left yesterday evening bound for South Korea.

Pier 80 will not be used again until April.

VIKING BRAVERY is scheduled to depart from New Jersey on 4 Mar bound for Zeebrugge. This continues the custom for Tesla to squeeze an extra boatload to Europe by sending the cars overland by train to New Jersey and then loading them on a ship from there. I estimate that she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 12 Mar which will be ahead of GLOVIS SIRIUS.

GLOVIS COMPANION
I've just been recalculating my ETA for her.
As I mentioned in my daily summary, she is still transmitting on AIS an ETA for Zeebrugge of 2100Z on Saturday which is totally unachievable now.
The Zeebrugge port schedule has her down for an arrival at 1100 on Sunday. This is actually achievable as long as she maintains at least 18kts all the way.
She is maintaining that at the moment and looking at the weather forecast she should be able to hold that speed all the way but .....

Mr Miserable - you are a legend squire. In the absence of any firm pick up dates from Tesla for most of us, you give us all hope - thank you.

I have managed to pin Tesla down for a VIN but not much more than that other than it will be here some time in March (in the 20s) which isn't that helpful although seems pretty standard from what I've seen !

VIN starts with LRW so I am banking on it being on Morning Capo from Shanghai. Good luck all :)

Mr Miserable - you are a legend squire. In the absence of any firm pick up dates from Tesla for most of us, you give us all hope - thank you.

I have managed to pin Tesla down for a VIN but not much more than that other than it will be here some time in March (in the 20s) which isn't that helpful although seems pretty standard from what I've seen !

VIN starts with LRW so I am banking on it being on Morning Capo from Shanghai. Good luck all :)

LRW, thats meaning china built right?

The grimy polluter GLOVIS COMPANION continues to make good speed on her NE’ly heading. The wind has eased completely and the swell has now reduced considerably. There should be no further weather concerns for her. Her ETA for Zeebrugge remains 2100Z tomorrow but this is not realistic. The Zeebrugge port schedule shows they are expecting her at 1100 on Sunday, which is much more likely.

MORNING CAPO
This is the ship that left Shanghai on 3 Feb that is bringing the 2nd batch of Chinese made Model 3s to the UK.
She is currently passing north of Tunis at 17kts on her uneventful Mediterranean transit. There are no weather concerns for the moment.
Her ETA for Southampton remains 1800 on Wednesday however she has not yet appeared on the Southampton port schedule. This is the first indication of a possible delay.

CAPO MED Progress .png

LAKE GENEVA passed through the Mona Passage yesterday evening and is now in the North Atlantic about 150NM north of San Juan, Puerto Rico. She is making just over 17kts and it looks as though she does not intend to follow the shortest, great circle course across the Atlantic but follow a longer more easterly course that offers better weather, much like every other ’Tesla’ ship has done this quarter.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 0700Z on 7 Mar and by my calculations, she is bang-on time at the moment.

GENEVA Atlantic Progress.png

GLOVIS SIRIUS is making steady progress south at just over 17kts along the Mexican Pacific coast.
She is currently about 50nm west of Cabo San Lucas
The weather continues to look fine for the moment.
She will arrive off Panama on Wednesday evening and I expect her to transit the canal on Thursday.

Enter the GLOVIS SIRIUS competition. Click HERE

SIRIUS Pacif Prog.png

VIKING BRAVERY is now scheduled to depart from New Jersey on 3 Mar (brought forward by a day) bound for Zeebrugge. This continues the custom for Tesla to squeeze an extra boatload to Europe by sending the cars overland by train to New Jersey and then loading them on a ship from there. I now estimate that she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 11 Mar which will be ahead of GLOVIS SIRIUS.

I will formally open the VIKING BRAVERY competition later this afternoon but you can enter it now - it will close the moment she departs from New Jersey.

VIKING BRAVERY will be the last Tesla ship to depart to Europe this quarter however, unlike every other ship, she will depart from New Jersey.
At the moment she is scheduled to depart on 3 Mar and I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 11, maybe 12 Mar.

THE VIKING BRAVERY COMPETITION IS NOW OPEN

Atlantic Major Squares NY-Zee.png

All you have to do is, using your skill and judgement, decide where VIKING BRAVERY will be at Midday UTC on 8 Mar 21?
Only 1 entry per person
In the event of a tie, the person who chose the closest minor gridsquare first will be declared the winner.
The competition will promptly close when VIKING BRAVERY departs from the pier in New Jersey.
It's free to enter and there is no prize - it's just bit of fun!
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.