Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been, by some intuition, obsessed/tuned-in to Helios Ray since I place the order for a M3LR late September. I was a bit disappointed that it turned itself away from Shanghai earlier, but hopes are high again seeing its approach to Shanghai.

Assuming that the orders are matched only when the car is loaded on to a ship, I am still on thee lookout for a ship that will carry a big chunk of the Q4 orders. As all the ships that have set sail to Southampton seem to have late Q3 orders as noticed by the flurry of VIN allocation in the last couple of weeks and the lack of it for any deep September orders.

Hope Mr. M can shed a bit more light on Helios Ray in the following days and thanks Mr. M.

Reactions: Electron Mike
TALIA continues her dash up the Red Sea towards Suez where she will arrive tomorrow evening.

TALIA.png

LAKE FUXIAN continues to race towards Singapore at over 19 kt. I'm not expecting her to dock there but just refuel in an anchorage before continuing her voyage, hopefully to Suez and beyond. She is due to arrive off Singapore tomorrow morning.

LAKE FUX 1st leg.png

LAKE GENEVA is now clear of any weather but hasn't increased her speed much. She is presently making 16.6 kts which is in the economic long range cruise speed bracket and makes her ETA for Suez a tad marginal in my opinion. I'll perhaps take a closer look at her probable navigation plan and the long range weather forecasts tonight. Most Masters like to build up a small time cushion to allow for unexpected delays further down the route, if the fuel consumption allows, rather than leave the voyage management system (the computer) in full control. She is presently enjoying a tailwind and a following sea which is the ideal opportunity to build up such a cushion at minimal cost - but the computer doesn't know that.

Geneva 1st leg.png

I just wonder why many of the named vessels do not appear on the schedules for example of Zeebrugge or is it normal, that ships are listet short before arrival ? THEMIS for example.

Zeebrugge port arrivals board took a real hit when schedules started to fall apart from COVID issues and port congestion. I suspect it is updated by one person as you can tell when he/she goes on holiday - nothing gets updated at all. It has never really been a totally reliable source and in the last year I have consulted it less and less. I will quote it occasionally but only if it fits with data from elsewhere. For port arrivals in the next 3 days it can be useful.
Zeebrugge is not alone, most European ports are not publishing bookings much more than 1 or 2 weeks in advance nowadays as looking this far ahead can be pretty fluid. Bizarrely, a lot of the published port data remains manually updated and so data that can be cut 'n'pasted easily into the board would make it but info that arrived by fax (still heavily used) or otherwise just wouldn't get typed in, at least that is what I strongly suspect.
Southampton is by far the most reliable source using live data updated every 10 minutes out to 5/6 days. It used to be 10 days which was incredibly useful back in the good old days when ships ran on time (pre 2020).
The efficiency of port operations were in a large part down to the skill of the port schedulers and planners who were often working weeks or months in advance. If a ship missed her scheduled port booking slot it could be a financial disaster for the ship and so ships generally ran on time on schedules that were planned months earlier. Now we are looking at provisional bookings and 'dynamic' port scheduling. Very few ports had systems in place to handle 'dynamic' tasking successfully but they are learning fast in the new normality.

Who in the world will pay for such informations ?!? ... it is just ship tracking ... and a kind of lottery .. especially for a waiting one like me :)
I wouldn't be surprised to find some folks with money and/or "weight" trying to scalp/manipulate the market (although Tesla's ordering process should help with that).
Piracy is also still very much a thing these days unfortunately (Captain Phillips was based on real events) and Elon's businesses aren't exactly popular in some circles, because of his mission (and the stuff that enables it).

Hey Mr m, love from israel😃
Do you know what is the name of the cargo ship that will arrive in november and her est arrival in ashdod
Nothing spotted yet - in the past, it has been quite late (the ship already in the Red Sea) before the Ashdod call is announced. Looking at the likely schedules of the ships identified so far, LAKE GENEVA might (might) be a possibility.
I'll keep an eye out....

Why does the path of Helios Ray look like that of a bumble bee? What’s happening to it? I thought airplanes flew in holding patterns/virtual stacks, but ship could just stop if there is congestion, but Helios Ray seems to be doing assorts of crazy direction changes , I wonder why.

Status
Not open for further replies.