Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting this.
HORIZON LEADER is currently refuelling off Singapore.
I reckon she should arrive around 2 Dec into Southampton however I'll be able to refine that estimate once she finishes refuelling and heads off to Suez.
I'm going to estimate a 01 Dec arrival in Southampton for HORIZON LEADER now she's on her way.

It's all happening around Crete today!

Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 09.50.55.png

HELIOS RAY is cruising at a majestic 14 kts towards Southampton. She doesn't appear to be in any hurry and will arrive there on 20 Nov.

VIKING OCEAN I am having doubts about this ship actually having any Teslas onboard. I'll keep track off her until we see the Southampton port schedule and see where she is docking - that will help decide. She is due to arrive there on 20 Nov

HOEGH KOBE she is heading to Piraeus where she is due to arrive tomorrow. ALTAIR LEADER (which also has some Teslas onboard destined to Zeebrugge 18 Nov) lost a day or two waiting to get in to Piraeus (she's still there) so lets hope the same fate doesn't befall HOEGH KOBE who is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 22 Nov.
If you have a VIN you can check to see whether your car is onboard a Hoegh ship My Cargo

GLOVIS CHALLENGE is not hanging around and is making 18 kts towards Koper where she will arrive on Sunday.

NABUCCO is making 16 kts in the Gulf of Aden. She is due to arrive in Southampton on 26 Nov and Zeebrugge 28 Nov.

Don't forget to enter the free NABUCCO competition! Only 2 new entries yesterday! Click HERE to enter.

NUC Leg 2.png

HYPERION RAY has 'gone dark' and switched off her AIS transmitter whilst she transits an area her company regards as high-risk. She is currently in the Arabian Sea heading towards Suez and I have estimated her position on the chart. She's due to arrive there on 17 Nov and then I expect her to race to Southampton to arrive on 25 Nov. Zeebrugge on 27 Nov.

HypRay Leg 2.png

HOEGH TRACER is on a scheduled service following much the same route as HOEGH KOBE. We have already seen evidence that she is carrying some Teslas (check your VIN on My Cargo ) but she won't arrive in Zeebrugge until 4 Dec.
She is presentlyin the Arabian Sea making 16 kts towards her next stop at Port Sudan.

Tracer Leg 2.png

HORIZON LEADER is speeding up the Strais of Malacca at nearly 19kts. It's not unusual for ships to transit these straits at high speed as an anti-piracy measure since this area is notorious for it. Over the last year however long-overdue coordinated military patrols from the neighboring states appear to dealt with the problem in the straits. (As a result the problem has shifted to anchored ships off Singapore!) In any case, she is due at Suez on 22 Nov which will require a higher than normal speed. I estimate she will arrive in Southampton around 1 Dec.

HozLdr Leg 2.png

GRAND DAHLIA is currently loading at Shanghai South. She is due to arrive in Southampton on 10 Dec and Zeebrugge on 14 Dec but is already running late. I shall review her likely arrival times once she departs because slow loading in Shanghai South appears to be the norm. I note she is taking the opportunity to refuel here but I don't know whether this is in lieu of her booked refuel in Singapore (which if she wants to make up time would make sense) or not.

Also loading in Shanghai is PLATINUM RAY. Although this ship has history for being chartered by Tesla I'm not sure she is on her way to Europe and suspect she may depart to South Korea. We shall see...

Last edited:
Mine's due for delivery 27th Nov. It's going to take a while distributing 6,000 cars off a ship to everyone though. That's a lot of car transporters.
About 6000+ Tesla cars is what was registered last quarter. I don’t expect all of them to be dumped off one ship or even two ships as I understood each carrier to carry about 3500 cars. But yes agree it could take time to move them around , but would have thought Southampton based pickup to have the least amount of logistics involved so a much sooner delivery. But who knows what they smoke when they draw these plans 🤪

I work for a large leasing company. You would be amazed out how many vehicle movements happen in the UK every day.

6000 Teslas is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the UK market of vehicle logistics.
Let's just see what the best selling car in Dec 21 will be....
I suspect it will be the same as the one that was best selling car in Sep 21 - not just in UK but Europe as well.

Mine's due for delivery 27th Nov. It's going to take a while distributing 6,000 cars off a ship to everyone though. That's a lot of car transporters.
When a ship is described as capable of carrying 6000 cars you need to know the metric they are using.
In this case the metric is RT43 which is based on a 1966 Toyota Corona.
A Tesla Model 3 is longer, wider and significantly heavier than the Toyota and so there is no chance of 6000 Teslas fitting on the ship.

Let's just see what the best selling car in Dec 21 will be....
I suspect it will be the same as the one that was best selling car in Sep 21 - not just in UK but Europe as well.
I'm sure it will be number 1 again in Dec, but in Sept it still only accounted for just over 3% of all vehicles sold - I think the point Simonix was making is that moving 200,000+ vehicles around the country is normal for the car industry in the UK.

Reactions: Bandito and Simonix
Last year someone commented on seeing a picture of the vessel carrying his car that it looked a bit of a “rust bucket”. I agreed that the exterior did not look particularly appealing but I explained there was a very good reason for that.
The explanation blends nicely into a long overdue post about the loading of cars onto RoRo’s. This is actually a huge and crucially important subject and so for this post I will confine myself to the cars and how they are loaded.

Prior to loading the car decks will have been cleaned by a sweeping machine, the fire detectors and alarms will have been tested. Lashings will have been inspected and be neatly arranged ready for use. A meeting with the stevedores prior to loading will have established the loading pattern to be adopted for various parts of the deck. There are generally 3 standard patterns: Clockwise for RHD vehicles, anticlockwise for LHD and nose-out for confined areas of the ship. The last vehicle to be loaded in each pattern is the ‘key’ vehicle and is marked as such with a marker board. The key vehicle of each pattern will be the first vehicle in that pattern to be unloaded and is allocated extra space to allow driver access. Clearly all the vehicles in a pattern have to be going to the same destination. (Cars are often parked in similar patterns on the dockside to save space)

The loading is performed by stevedores who do nothing else but drive cars (and trucks, buses, cranes, etc ) on and off ships and at dedicated car handling terminals like Zeebrugge and Shanghai they really are experts. There are strict rules that are to be followed and before each session the stevedores are briefed:
No smoking
No operation of the car’s entertainment system
Customer cars are not to be used for ferrying.
Keys are to be left in ashtray (normally) after loading onboard.
Handbrake is to be applied and manual cars left in a low gear.
Wheels are to be aligned straight ahead and lights are to be off.
All windows to up after parking.
Driver’s door to be left unlocked
Speed limit onboard - usually 20kph.

In addition the stevedoring company itself will have it’s own rules on clothing: Usually a clean, one piece overall often with integral Hi-Viz elements without a belt or exposed buttons that can snag or damage seats and clean soft boots with disposable plastic overshoes. No jewellery. Use of gloves may be required. No smoking, eating, chewing gum etc. There will be strict rules on speeding. Usually the driver's window must be down during the loading process. Drivers will have been trained in the visual signals from marshallers and the audible signals (whistles). There will be a company routine to be followed when parking onboard eg driver gets out and hands keys to marshaller who places the keys in the ashtray and who is responsible for finally shutting the door. Stevedores will be prohibited from leaning on cars, placing elbows on or otherwise unnecessarily touching the cars. The stevedores usually operate in small teams of about 6-10 and have their own minibus shuttle that follows them onboard and then returns them directly to the dock to collect the next bunch of cars. Clearly the more teams that are put on the job the quicker the load or unload will be. It is not a job for casual labour and it will become immediately apparent to the ship’s crew if casual labour is being used. This will inevitably lead to the Master lodging a Letter of Protest against the stevedoring company. Letters of Protest can be lodged for all sorts of reasons: speeding onboard being the most common (Overspeeding is the phrase!), poor parking, improper lashing, etc.

During loading, the ship’s crew will observe for and note any damage prior to loading, whether the cars are covered in dust etc. They will ensure the cars are parked in accordance to the loading plan, and that lashings are being correctly applied. There are strict rules on how close a car can be to fire hoses and water fog nozzles and foam applicators and the ship's crew will ensure that these distances are not encroached.

There are videos on YouTube which show loading/unloading operations taking place and some of them with scenes that are reminiscent of the car chases in the Italian Job! It looks easy and almost carelessly fast but actually it’s just a well planned procedure conducted by well-drilled and disciplined stevedores. As far as Teslas are concerned, the car will be in “transport mode” when it leaves the factory until such time as it is accepted by the Tesla rep at its destination.

transportmode.jpg

So how does this make the ship a rust bucket?
As can be seen, the care of the valuable cargo is uppermost in everybody’s mind. Normally the routine husbandry of a ship dictates that when alongside two or three crew members are allocated the task of repainting or touching-up areas of the ship that require it. New cars and fresh paint are an accident waiting to happen and so ships are normally prohibited from painting when alongside a car dock. Hence the visual appearance of RoRo’s can deteriorate fairly rapidly in comparison to a cruise ship! I got there in the end!

Last year someone commented on seeing a picture of the vessel carrying his car that it looked a bit of a “rust bucket”. I agreed that the exterior did not look particularly appealing but I explained there was a very good reason for that.
The explanation blends nicely into a long overdue post about the loading of cars onto RoRo’s. This is actually a huge and crucially important subject and so for this post I will confine myself to the cars and how they are loaded.

Prior to loading the car decks will have been cleaned by a sweeping machine, the fire detectors and alarms will have been tested. Lashings will have been inspected and be neatly arranged ready for use. A meeting with the stevedores prior to loading will have established the loading pattern to be adopted for various parts of the deck. There are generally 3 standard patterns: Clockwise for RHD vehicles, anticlockwise for LHD and nose-out for confined areas of the ship. The last vehicle to be loaded in each pattern is the ‘key’ vehicle and is marked as such with a marker board. The key vehicle of each pattern will be the first vehicle in that pattern to be unloaded and is allocated extra space to allow driver access. Clearly all the vehicles in a pattern have to be going to the same destination. (Cars are often parked in similar patterns on the dockside to save space)

The loading is performed by stevedores who do nothing else but drive cars (and trucks, buses, cranes, etc ) on and off ships and at dedicated car handling terminals like Zeebrugge and Shanghai they really are experts. There are strict rules that are to be followed and before each session the stevedores are briefed:
No smoking
No operation of the car’s entertainment system
Customer cars are not to be used for ferrying.
Keys are to be left in ashtray (normally) after loading onboard.
Handbrake is to be applied and manual cars left in a low gear.
Wheels are to be aligned straight ahead and lights are to be off.
All windows to up after parking.
Driver’s door to be left unlocked
Speed limit onboard - usually 20kph.

In addition the stevedoring company itself will have it’s own rules on clothing: Usually a clean, one piece overall often with integral Hi-Viz elements without a belt or exposed buttons that can snag or damage seats and clean soft boots with disposable plastic overshoes. No jewellery. Use of gloves may be required. No smoking, eating, chewing gum etc. There will be strict rules on speeding. Usually the driver's window must be down during the loading process. Drivers will have been trained in the visual signals from marshallers and the audible signals (whistles). There will be a company routine to be followed when parking onboard eg driver gets out and hands keys to marshaller who places the keys in the ashtray and who is responsible for finally shutting the door. Stevedores will be prohibited from leaning on cars, placing elbows on or otherwise unnecessarily touching the cars. The stevedores usually operate in small teams of about 6-10 and have their own minibus shuttle that follows them onboard and then returns them directly to the dock to collect the next bunch of cars. Clearly the more teams that are put on the job the quicker the load or unload will be. It is not a job for casual labour and it will become immediately apparent to the ship’s crew if casual labour is being used. This will inevitably lead to the Master lodging a Letter of Protest against the stevedoring company. Letters of Protest can be lodged for all sorts of reasons: speeding onboard being the most common (Overspeeding is the phrase!), poor parking, improper lashing, etc.

During loading, the ship’s crew will observe for and note any damage prior to loading, whether the cars are covered in dust etc. They will ensure the cars are parked in accordance to the loading plan, and that lashings are being correctly applied. There are strict rules on how close a car can be to fire hoses and water fog nozzles and foam applicators and the ship's crew will ensure that these distances are not encroached.

There are videos on YouTube which show loading/unloading operations taking place and some of them with scenes that are reminiscent of the car chases in the Italian Job! It looks easy and almost carelessly fast but actually it’s just a well planned procedure conducted by well-drilled and disciplined stevedores. As far as Teslas are concerned, the car will be in “transport mode” when it leaves the factory until such time as it is accepted by the Tesla rep at its destination.

transportmode.jpg

So how does this make the ship a rust bucket?
As can be seen, the care of the valuable cargo is uppermost in everybody’s mind. Normally the routine husbandry of a ship dictates that when alongside two or three crew members are allocated the task of repainting or touching-up areas of the ship that require it. New cars and fresh paint are an accident waiting to happen and so ships are normally prohibited from painting when alongside a car dock. Hence the visual appearance of RoRo’s can deteriorate fairly rapidly in comparison to a cruise ship! I got there in the end!
Nice update Mr. M, thanks.

I also think sometime in the not so distant future, the autonomy of cars could be so advanced that they will self drive themselves on and off Ro-Ro carriers and it could be quite a sight to see a convoy of self-driving Tesla boarding, disembarking themselves on/off ships. Who knows they might even text the owner that they are on their way 😀

Finally got a Delivery text for M3LR Red B&W 18's.

Timeline was:
Ordered 08/10/21, estimated November. Finance approved 11/10/21.
VIN allocated in source code 2/11/21 (never got a text about this, no info. Date coincided with NABUCCO refueling in Singapore, due in UK 25/11/21)

First I heard from Tesla since ordering:
Delivery date text from Manchester (12/11/21), chose earliest possible: 6/12/21

So just 3 weeks left to wait now!

So people wondering about times etc for their orders, for me:

order -> VIN = 3 weeks
VIN -> Delivery text = 2 weeks
Delivery text -> Delivery = 3 weeks

Reactions: Advocate
Status
Not open for further replies.