Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 SR+ or 2018 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have an order placed for a 2018 SR+ white/white with aero wheels and no FSD.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2018 LR AWD M3 with about 80k KMs, EAP, and 19" Sport wheels.

Monthly payment between the two is roughly the same, though 2021 gives me an 8k rebate vs a 4k rebate from the 2018.

What do you guys think? Is the 2021 refresh/new vehicle worth it, or would you opt for the additional features although the vehicle is used?

I currently have an order placed for a 2018 SR+ white/white with aero wheels and no FSD.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2018 LR AWD M3 with about 80k KMs, EAP, and 19" Sport wheels.

Monthly payment between the two is roughly the same, though 2021 gives me an 8k rebate vs a 4k rebate from the 2018.

What do you guys think? Is the 2021 refresh/new vehicle worth it, or would you opt for the additional features although the vehicle is used?

I would go for 2021 LR without FSD/EAP but with a more generous rebate.

With a high-tech consumer item, newer is better in my book.

Since your location is cold in the winter, any additional range you can get such as LR (and not SR+) is a bonus.

All 2021 has built-in Autopilot already. You can always add FSD over the air when you save enough money later on.

I would go for 2021 LR without FSD/EAP but with a more generous rebate.

With a high-tech consumer item, newer is better in my book.

Since your location is cold in the winter, any additional range you can get such as LR (and not SR+) is a bonus.

All 2021 has built-in Autopilot already. You can always add FSD over the air when you save enough money later on.
For me a 2021 LR is not an option financially. Government incentives only apply to the SR+, which for me makes the SR+ around $27k cheaper than a LR. The 2018 LR that I am looking at is really the only way I could afford LR at the moment.

For me a 2021 LR is not an option financially. Government incentives only apply to the SR+, which for me makes the SR+ around $27k cheaper than a LR. The 2018 LR that I am looking at is really the only way I could afford LR at the moment.
I misunderstood the qualifications for the incentive. Now that you explained, If I was in your shoe, I would choose new 2021 SR+ just because of the incentive. The money would compensate for the inconvenience of shorter range and give me a full 4-year/50,000 mile whichever first warranty (instead of the remaining 2018-warranty).

I had a similar dilemma. I decoded to order a 2021 SR+ over a 2018 LR... For me the provincial rebate, lower interest rate, and upgraded tech was the reason I decided on the 2021. My payments came out to almost $100 cheaper per month for a brand new SR+ vs used LR. Only thing that sucks is now I’m waiting for my car to arrive, and I have to transport it from Ontario.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
We have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. It appears that the full range on ours is presently about 475 km versus the 499 rating back in 2018. At 475 the range is not that much more than a new SR+ rated at 423 km. I'm not sure about the range of a 2018 AWD. One thing that we did observe is that a 2021 SR+ charges faster on our Tesla Wall Connector than does our 2018. Charging at 24 A on a 30 A circuit gives our 2018 34 km of added range each hour. When we plugged a 2021 SR+ into the same charger it was adding 40-41 km each hour. A smaller battery in the 2021 but probably more efficient overall.

See if the 2018 comes with grandfathered free internet like mine did.
How are you getting a rebate for a 2018 btw?

My range has LR RWD dropped to 498, but the AWD is faster and can home charge marginally faster if you get the 14-50/tesla wall

I had a similar dilemma. I decoded to order a 2021 SR+ over a 2018 LR... For me the provincial rebate, lower interest rate, and upgraded tech was the reason I decided on the 2021. My payments came out to almost $100 cheaper per month for a brand new SR+ vs used LR. Only thing that sucks is now I’m waiting for my car to arrive, and I have to transport it from Ontario.
You still qualify for PQ rebates buying the car from ON? I live in GTA and we’re we are trying to figure out how to buy in Quebec and get your coveted 13k vs our measly 5k lol 😂

FYI. I'm in south Florida. On 10/26/21 I ordered a white/white LR with aero wheels (I already have 19" lightweight Enkei (Japan) wheels) - I will sell the 18" wheels/tires that will come with the car.

My delivery date shown is "Estimated Delivery: November 17 - December 01" based on a 10/26 order date, even through no VIN has been assigned.

Would it seem likely that a 10/26 order date would give me a 2022 model year? And, what part of the VIN digit sequence (and what character) would designate the model year as 2022? Many thanks

FYI. I'm in south Florida. On 10/26/21 I ordered a white/white LR with aero wheels (I already have 19" lightweight Enkei (Japan) wheels) - I will sell the 18" wheels/tires that will come with the car.

My delivery date shown is "Estimated Delivery: November 17 - December 01" based on a 10/26 order date, even through no VIN has been assigned.

Would it seem likely that a 10/26 order date would give me a 2022 model year? And, what part of the VIN digit sequence (and what character) would designate the model year as 2022? Many thanks

Reactions: kakao