Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Standard Range Plus Real-World Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have a 2021 Model X Long Range (pre-refresh) and we're looking to replace our last ICE with a SR+ Model 3. I know that there's a significant price difference between the MX LR+ and the M3 SR+ but we're split between ordering a SR+ or a LR M3. What are the differences between the partial premium and the premium interior, and is the range difference that significant.

The audio system is missing back speakers and the door tweeters. The footwell has the ambient lights disabled. The charge speed is capped a bit lower at a supercharger. It does not come with floor mats. Acceleration is lower. RWD only. No fog lights.

I think thats about it.

The price difference where I live was quite significant due to incentives that apply to the sr+ but not the lr so it made the decision a lot clearer.

I have not had any issues with the range at all in owning the sr+ for 3 months. Road trips would be a bit more of a concern, but we have an ice vehicle we plan go use for that as we needed the towing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Funny you say that, I was about to order an SR+ and switched at the last moment to a Model X LR+ because we already have a couple of sedans that we use for personal transport and wanted a bigger vehicle for family stuff. But of the full lineup we test drove, I liked the SR+ best as a driver's car. IIRC rear heated seats can be added back for a few bucks as an upgrade in the app, btw.

Neighbor has a 2020 SR+. Aside from the 2021 refresh changes I noticed nothing different between our interiors. Mine came with floor mats that I'm promptly replacing anyway, his sound system is fine and the car is plenty fast. If you're not buying a 3 specifically for the performance and aren't going to road trip with it, I think the SR is a great buy.

Reactions: BerkshireEV
Own both a 2018 LR RWD and a 2019 SR+. After some over the air software updates, the acceleration difference is almost imperceptible. The interior looks identical (yes, SR didn't come with floor mats, but I got aftermarket floor mats for both cars anyways). Audio is supposed to be missing a few speakers, but I can't hear the difference (not an audiophile). The 2019 came with fog lights I'm pretty sure. Really the only difference is the range, and even then, it just means you might make a few extra stops to charge and for a bit longer (due to slower SC rates). But for the price difference, you'd be hard pressed to justify an LR RWD over an SR+ unless road trips were a huge factor in your decision (and even then, it's totally doable, just likely to take slightly longer). If I had only one car, I'd go with the LR option, but owning both, I really don't find a huge difference most of the time. If price was prohibitive, I'd go with SR+ without hesitating (and my SR+ has a range of like 360km, I think the SR+ now is 420km or thereabouts)

Reactions: Ron_M3 and Nichigo
and is the range difference that significant.
Depends on what you consider "significant" in relationship to the range, and what you are going to use it for.

Since you are an experienced tesla owner, you know that you will only use from 90% to about 20% of range for daily driving. A SR+ is rated at 263 miles. 90 of that is 236. 20% of that is 52. 236-52 = 184 effective range, and thats if miles roll off at 1:1 which, as a veteran tesla owner you know they dont.

The effective range of a SR+ Model 3 is somewhere between 150-184 miles, when new and there is no degradation. Whether this matters to you or not depends on what you use the vehicle for. If its for commuting back and forth to work and work is <100 miles round trip, and you have home charging, then this is a complete non issue.

If its for commuting to work, and work is 150 miles round trip, then there is an issue, especially in the winter (for example).

Same calculations for a LR Model 3 are (currently), rated at 353, 90% is 317, 20% is 70, 317 - 70 = 247. Since miles dont roll off 1:1, the effective range of a LR model 3 is going to be something like 205-247, or an effective difference of roughly 50-70 miles or so. Might be significant, might not, depending on your circumstances and use case.

The other differences are, the LR AWD is much faster off the line (much), many people find the premium audio in the model 3 nice (and some dont care or dont see much difference between the two, audio is very subjective), and because the battery is bigger in the LR AWD, as the battery degrades, you still have longer range left than the SR+.

Whether that matters to you or not is a personal thing.

Own both a 2018 LR RWD and a 2019 SR+. After some over the air software updates, the acceleration difference is almost imperceptible. The interior looks identical (yes, SR didn't come with floor mats, but I got aftermarket floor mats for both cars anyways). Audio is supposed to be missing a few speakers, but I can't hear the difference (not an audiophile). The 2019 came with fog lights I'm pretty sure. Really the only difference is the range, and even then, it just means you might make a few extra stops to charge and for a bit longer (due to slower SC rates). But for the price difference, you'd be hard pressed to justify an LR RWD over an SR+ unless road trips were a huge factor in your decision (and even then, it's totally doable, just likely to take slightly longer). If I had only one car, I'd go with the LR option, but owning both, I really don't find a huge difference most of the time. If price was prohibitive, I'd go with SR+ without hesitating (and my SR+ has a range of like 360km, I think the SR+ now is 420km or thereabouts)

They dont sell the LR RWD any longer, so comparing the OP would be comparing an AWD LR vehicle, not the RWD. The LR AWD model 3 goes 0-60 in under 4 seconds, while the SR+ is 5.3. That is a very significant difference, and thats not even counting the acceleration boost. The LR RWD model 3 has been left behind as far as speed updates go but isnt valid for this OP to compare as it relates to whats available now.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
You didn't say where you live. In Europe they are getting LFP batteries in the SR+ and that's going to happen in the US too but they haven't said when. There have been terrible winter charging problems with the LFP batteries. I don't know if they've been resolved or not but until I had a definitive answer that it's been fixed or that the US is still using Panasonic batteries I'd avoid the SR+ and get the AWD. Also if you live in a place that gets winter I'd also stick with the AWD.

The audio system is missing back speakers and the door tweeters. The footwell has the ambient lights disabled. The charge speed is capped a bit lower at a supercharger. It does not come with floor mats. Acceleration is lower. RWD only. No fog lights.

I think thats about it.

The price difference where I live was quite significant due to incentives that apply to the sr+ but not the lr so it made the decision a lot clearer.

I have not had any issues with the range at all in owning the sr+ for 3 months. Road trips would be a bit more of a concern, but we have an ice vehicle we plan go use for that as we needed the towing.

Exact same reasons I ordered the M3 SR+ yesterday. The 5K fed gov rebate is hard to ignore and we still own an 2nd ICE car, as do most families I assume, so SR+ range is not of concern

Will upgrade to heated seats + steering and update sound to activate disabled speakers. Only item I wish it had were front and rear footwell lightning.

I just ordered a M3 in California, I’m new to all this Tesla things , where can I find information about this 5k dev rebate you mention? sorry for the noob question.

Exact same reasons I ordered the M3 SR+ yesterday. The 5K fed gov rebate is hard to ignore and we still own an 2nd ICE car, as do most families I assume, so SR+ range is not of concern

Will upgrade to heated seats + steering and update sound to activate disabled speakers. Only item I wish it had were front and rear footwell lightning.

I just ordered a M3 in California, I’m new to all this Tesla things , where can I find information about this 5k dev rebate you mention? sorry for the noob question.
That poster is in Canada, your location shows the US. There is currently no "5k rebate" in the US. There is lots of speculation about the US adding a tax credit back, but you are not missing anything, in CA, right now.

Reactions: rBajwa

I think thats about it.

Also, there's no option for brake regen level, it's just a standard setting, no option to change.

• Informative
Reactions: Tarpan
My hubs 18' LR has options for the regen level, not on the SR+. Not a big deal because I love the strong regen and 1 pedal driving, but kinda of surprised me to see once I got my 21' home and started comparing
Oops, I accidentally reposted, I meant to add, the standard power liftgate and outside speaker fart speaker on the SR+ kind of makes up for all the things it lacks on. Farting at people walking down the sidewalk is the best thing Tesla gave us.

Also, there's no option for brake regen level, it's just a standard setting, no option to change.

I believe this changed for *all* versions of the Model 3. I have a 2021 M3 LR/AWD and it does not have any settings to change the regen braking level (don't want any either... I'm very happy with single-pedal driving). It does allow choosing between Hold / Roll / Creep mode, but I think that's on all Model 3s.