Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla model 3 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I’m hoping someone here might be able to help me? I have a Nema 14/50 outlet, and a aftermarket charger, that I purchased off of E-Bay. The car will charge between 20 to 40 minutes then just stop. If I remove the charger, and re insert it will charge again from 20 to 40 minutes and stop again. During the charging process it’s charging at 40 amps, with charge rate of 40 to 41 mph. I’m sorry for such a long post, but would be grateful for any advice you folks might have! Thank you

Welcome to TMC,

Your posts apologizes for being a long post, but its actually quite short for needing help with your setup. In order for people to be able to help you, you would need to provide some more information, like:

Who installed your 14-50 outlet, and when was it installed?
What exact aftermarket charger did you buy off ebay? is it brand new or did you buy a used one?
Have you tried the charger that comes with the car? What is the result of that test?
Has it been used successfully with another brand ev in the past and if so, which one (what battery size, charging speed etc)
What breaker size is on your 14-50 in the electrical panel (how many amps is the breaker its connected to)?
Have you investigated the outlet for damage such as burn marks etc?
What charging speed is your tesla attempting to charge at when its connected (what amps does it display)
What volts display both when you start charging and after it settles in, on the screen?

Normally, these type problems are because something is wrong with the electrical setup, but you will need to provide quite a bit more information for anyone to be able to help you with it. We have some very knowledgable people around this topic here on TMC (I am not one of them, I just have base knowledge), but they will need more info to try to help you.

Thanks so much for the quick reply’s! The Nema 14/50outlet was installed last month, by a certified electrician. The charger is new, not sure of the brand name tho? I will try to include a photo of my charging set-up.
I have not tried the charger that came with the car, because I don’t have the 14/50 plug adapter for the Tesla charger. The breaker at the electrical box is 50 amps

No burn marks or smells around the outlet or charger itself I believe the voltage is between 232 and 236.
The Tesla app shows 40/40 on the amp output.
when the charging does stop, the led on the charger says”short curcuit “ check your connection or something along those lines.
Anyway thank you for your time and for responding to my question. Take care

Attachments

• EE6B2556-B97D-46B6-A014-B1EF9A180835.jpeg
    EE6B2556-B97D-46B6-A014-B1EF9A180835.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 67
  • B209DE0D-A82F-49C6-A3EC-704B2A27B5A3.jpeg
    B209DE0D-A82F-49C6-A3EC-704B2A27B5A3.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 53
Thanks so much for the quick reply’s! The Nema 14/50outlet was installed last month, by a certified electrician. The charger is new, not sure of the brand name tho? I will try to include a photo of my charging set-up.
I have not tried the charger that came with the car, because I don’t have the 14/50 plug adapter for the Tesla charger. The breaker at the electrical box is 50 amps

No burn marks or smells around the outlet or charger itself I believe the voltage is between 232 and 236.
The Tesla app shows 40/40 on the amp output.
when the charging does stop, the led on the charger says”short curcuit “ check your connection or something along those lines.
Anyway thank you for your time and for responding to my question. Take care

So, my next question would be, why did you buy a third party charger off ebay rather than using the one that came with the car, and buying the 14-50 adapter for it from tesla? The 14-50 adapter from tesla would have almost assuredly been cheaper than a whole different EV charger (connector). If it were me, I would try to find a 14-50 adapter for the tesla wall connector, and sub that in where you have that third party one, and see if it works.

if it doesnt, then you know to call the electrician back.