Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model 3 LFP battery related questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been debating now for a long time between Model 3 SR at $41,389 vs SR+ at $47,990 which is $6601 difference in price Canadian.

From what I read here, it is locked at 151 km limit but actual battery is same as SR+ version. So does that mean I can charge to 100% but actual battery sees less than 80% charge? Does the LFP change range of battery? Shows delivery date of July 2022 for ordering at this time.

How do you know which battery the Model 3 is supplied with ( LFP or NCA ) ? Or you only know when car arrives?

Delayed ordering by 6 months as I paid off all debts to zero level.

Dan

1. It is software locked to 151km but your battery is a 52 kWh battery (the same as an SR+), you'd only have access to about 35-40% of the battery, but can charge to 100% as much as you want.
2. You won't be able to unlock the extra capacity after.

I assume NCA battery would arrive, LFP is rare for North America. And, yes LFP has a lower range, but can be charged to 100%.

Everyone here will say get the SR+. You don't want to be stuck with 151km. There just isn't enough superchargers or wiggle room if you do any road trip.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Today the Standard Range Plus in Canada increased to $54990 ( $2000 increase )
So I did order the Standard Range version at the $46389

The $8601 difference was just too high for me.

What really surprised me was financing approved in less than 5 minutes, went with 72 month term @ 2.4 % interest instead of default 96 months

Dan

What really surprised me was financing approved in less than 5 minutes, went with 72 month term @ 2.4 % interest instead of default 96 months

Dan
If you want to save some $$, consider a Leaf or bolt.

Reactions: mrElbe

Dan
The SR don't have Autopilot and winter range will be a problem if you live in a cold city like Winnipeg, Montreal, and so on. Autopilot is an add-on of 4000$. So the price difference of 8000$ justifies by itself. Bigger battery by alot and autopilot with a respectible winter range. No doubt the SR+ will sell on the aftermarket like hotcakes. SR not so much.

You do get the 5000$ from the Federal. Depending in what province you are in, you can also get an additional incentive.

Unless you get the car really fast (which I really doubt) you will need to reapply after 60 days for financing. Another hit on your credit. Always choose "pay cash" first and ask SA when you book your delivery you want to finance (lease or loan) and apply.

Best of luck with you SR.

Last edited:
Reactions: miatadan
The SR don't have Autopilot and winter range will be a problem if you leave in a cold city like winniped, Montreal, and so on. Autopilot is an add-on of 4000$. So the price difference of 8000$ justifies by itself. Bigger battery by alot and autopilot with a respectible winter range. No doubt the SR+ will sell on the aftermarket like hotcakes. SR not to much.

You do get the 5000$ from the Federal. Depending in what province you are in, you can also get an additional incentive.

Unless you get the car really fast (which I really doubt) you will need to reapply after 60 days for financing. Another hit on your credit. Always choose "pay cash" first and ask SA when you book your delivery you want to finance (lease or loan) and apply.

Best of luck with you SR.
I will contact Tesla Canada tomorrow and see if I can change to SR plus.

Did not know about needing to reapply after 60 days. Learn by my mistakes, will choose pay cash and change to finance or loan near delivery date.

Did not take into account the auto pilot.

Thanks for advice

Dan

I will contact Tesla Canada tomorrow and see if I can change to SR plus.

Did not know about needing to reapply after 60 days. Learn by my mistakes, will choose pay cash and change to finance or loan near delivery date.

Did not take into account the auto pilot.

Thanks for advice

Dan
Leases are 90 days.

When I read the fine prints, I talk to our SA and told us to do cash first and decide later.