Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model 3 Mobile Connector Charging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at a Model 3/Y currently, and wanted to see if UK owners of the current Model 3 could confirm how fast the standard mobile connector is when used with in a typical 240v socket. If someone knows the approx mileage added per hour that would be great. I have tried searching but getting quite mixed results and not many in the UK.
Thanks in advance!

Just thought I’d throw my hat into the ring and confirm that I’m also seeing 2kw and 10 miles per hour charge on my granny charger.
Not regretting not getting a charger fitted at all.
several people saying they are "seeing 10miles per hour" where are you seeing this? is that based on how much is added to the range in an hour or are you saying the car tells you it is charging at a rate of 10mph somewhere? If it does i had never realised.

Upvote 0
several people saying they are "seeing 10miles per hour" where are you seeing this? is that based on how much is added to the range in an hour or are you saying the car tells you it is charging at a rate of 10mph somewhere? If it does i had never realised.
I get it from Teslamate:

1640959018097.png

Upvote 0
For info I'm charging my LR via the granny charger at the moment.
The Tesla App only reports 2kW being 8/10A at 238 volts
Teslafi reports 2kW, being 8A at 237 volts plus a charging "mileage" rate of 6.5 mph

Charging from 79% to 90-ish% will take just shy of 5 hours.
But not on "night rate" - my supply will be just short of 20p/kWh
(still cheaper than a supercharger but not by much!)

Upvote 0
Will the 10 miles per hour be against rated range though?

I get just shy of 2.4kw at the plug and ScanmyTesla reports 2.1kw going into the battery. Car uses around 250/300w to run the systems.
I'd get 12% in 4 hours. I don't use miles tbh.
Probably on a nice warm summer day. But not in winter! Just ignore the "miles" as you probably realise by now that the miles shown in the car for battery range are not a "real" number. Just continue with % and accept that it is charging at 2kw.

Whilst 2kw will give you probably 10 miles in July and 6 miles in January on a steady run, but it is much less on a few short journeys in winter eg 1 mile from cold, parked up for an hour and 1 mile return when the outside temp is -1C and you are probably getting 600kwh figures.

Upvote 0
For info I'm charging my LR via the granny charger at the moment.
The Tesla App only reports 2kW being 8/10A at 238 volts
Teslafi reports 2kW, being 8A at 237 volts plus a charging "mileage" rate of 6.5 mph

Charging from 79% to 90-ish% will take just shy of 5 hours.
But not on "night rate" - my supply will be just short of 20p/kWh
(still cheaper than a supercharger but not by much!)
Cost is a good point. With a 7kw charger most can get their charging done in less than 3-4 hours per night so benefit from a cheap night rate. I get 3hours at 4.5p. With a UMC you will be unlikely to be able to do that so will end up paying a lot more

Reactions: GH2000
Upvote 0
Probably on a nice warm summer day. But not in winter! Just ignore the "miles" as you probably realise by now that the miles shown in the car for battery range are not a "real" number. Just continue with % and accept that it is charging at 2kw.

Whilst 2kw will give you probably 10 miles in July and 6 miles in January on a steady run, but it is much less on a few short journeys in winter eg 1 mile from cold, parked up for an hour and 1 mile return when the outside temp is -1C and you are probably getting 600kwh figures.
Totally but imo no different to MPG. I just drive and charge when needed. 600 wh/mi, need to poke the pedal a bit more 😁

Point on winter charging, if it's a cold night and the car hasnt been driven, charging on the UMC can almost be a waste of time as the car directs all input to the inverters to warm the pack.

On cost, it's an interesting one, as for me as it will take me ages to recoup the cost of an install. I plan on moving this year so even with the grant stopping im still better off waiting til I move.

Upvote 0
I'm staying at my sister's place over Xmas so it's a granny charge at 20p per kWh (all-day rate) or find an expensive charging place.
The granny charger is plugged into an old 13A socket in the garage so I'm leaving it at 8A so as not to stress the old wiring too much.
Back home in Southampton I'm on Octopus Go and have a Tesla wall chargepoint - the 4 hours 5p rate gets me 40% charge.
At full whack (2.4kW), the granny charger usually takes around 3 times longer than a "proper" (single phase) wall chargepoint.

Last nights 5 hour granny charge consumed 9.5kWh but only put 8kWh into the battery,
TeslaFi reports 85% efficiency at 12 degrees outside temperature adding 34 miles and the total cost £2 - just under 6p per mile!

Upvote 0