Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance All Season Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello newbie here, just got my 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance in June. I live in New Jersey, lot of potholes, already popped my tire twice in the past 2 months. My current Tires are the Pirelli Pzero 235/35 R20 92Y I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on some all season tires that fit that maybe aren't as low profile. Thank you.

Hello newbie here, just got my 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance in June. I live in New Jersey, lot of potholes, already popped my tire twice in the past 2 months. My current Tires are the Pirelli Pzero 235/35 R20 92Y I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on some all season tires that fit that maybe aren't as low profile. Thank you.
235/35/20 is the profile of the tire, so no matter what category of tire you put on it, any sidewall variations will be almost non-existent. If you need a bigger sidewall, you need to go with a smaller wheel.

I went 245/35 r20 Conti DWS and it was noticable with the PSI at 42-43.

FYI: if anybody needs some OEM Pirelli tires. I have (4) in my garage with only 5800 miles. One does have a patched hole from a screw. The other three are perfect. Northern VA area.

Honestly if I still lived in the northeast with potholes I'd get winter 18s with actual winter tires, then swap them for summers outside of snow season.

All seasons are all compromise (though less of one than they used to be)

That said, the cross-climates are probably the best "good at actual snow but decent performance" ones... with the Pilot Sport A/S 4 being the best "good at not-bad winters and better performance" which is what I'm running.

If you want to keep the 20" wheels, go with 245/35 (instead of 235/35's) on whatever tire you choose. That will give you a smidge more sidewall and curb rash protection.

18"s would be your best bet for pothole protection. I ended up going with 19"s (245/40/19's) in the same PS4S tires. You'll notice immediately the difference in handling. It loses a lot of the immediate responsiveness. But. It makes it up in terms of slight ride comfort improvement and of course, a little extra road hazard protection.

If you want to keep the 20" wheels, go with 245/35 (instead of 235/35's) on whatever tire you choose. That will give you a smidge more sidewall and curb rash protection.

18"s would be your best bet for pothole protection. I ended up going with 19"s (245/40/19's) in the same PS4S tires. You'll notice immediately the difference in handling. It loses a lot of the immediate responsiveness. But. It makes it up in terms of slight ride comfort improvement and of course, a little extra road hazard protection.
This. I went with continental dws06 tires and they’ve always been great for me.

Nice. I’m also in nj and got my model 3 performance in June. I gotta also select winter tires. How did you pop them twice though?

So I could really use some help here as I don’t really understand it and don’t want to get it wrong. So any help advice is appreciated.
I have a 2021 M3P. Has the OEM 20” performance tires. Living in Chicago I need all-seasons for winter. I am going to keep the 20’s and the Uberturbine wheels. With that said a few questions:

1) So does Tesla really have custom tires with sound deadening material in them?

2) If yes to #1, where can I buy the 20” all-season version of those tires? I’ve looked in the Tesla store but don’t see tires for sale.

3) If no to #1, then I’m planning to replace them with the Pilot Sport A/S 4 in 235-35-20. So my question here is: are these the best tire for quietness without losing too much range? Or is there another tire I should be looking at that has a better combo of quietness and minimal range loss.

Thanks for your help!

All tires in your 20" diameter will have identical profile to OEM tires (e.g.: 35% of tire's 235mm width == 82.25mm tall sidewall).
You have three alternatives:
1). Downgrade to 19" or 18" OEM tires (235/45R18) that come with taller 105.75mm sidewall.
2). Improvise and roll on taller sidewall 20" tires (e.g.: 235/40R20 or 255/40R20). In this case, your odometer will be off, and you run the risk of clearance issues in the wheel well.
3). Move to another state with better roads.

I also drive in NJ.
I went with option #1 for my winter tires:

HTH,
a

It's not necessarily a "downgrade". The 19 or 18 will have lower unsprung rotational mass, and the tyres can potentially be more compliant to the road surface.

The 20" rims are pretty heavy, and are mostly there for looks.
That is, technically true.
However, performance tire availability is @#$% in Tesla's stock 18" and 19" sizes. Thus the net traction effect of the swap will be a downgrade.
In terms of cost and ride quality, the result will be a cheaper and more accommodating ride. At the expense of handling.

a

That is, technically true.
However, performance tire availability is @#$% in Tesla's stock 18" and 19" sizes. Thus the net traction effect of the swap will be a downgrade.
In terms of cost and ride quality, the result will be a cheaper and more accommodating ride. At the expense of handling.

a

The PS4s is available in OEM 18" size. Many P3D- owners swapped their MXM4s out for them.

Generally they beat their 20" boat-anchor-bearing P3D+ cousins on the track too.

• Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Nice. I’m also in nj and got my model 3 performance in June. I gotta also select winter tires. How did you pop them twice though?
NJ here also and I run these in the winter with these tires, in the summer I run 20" zero g's

PXL_20210511_214933198.jpg

Reactions: mdsco
If you want to keep your stock rims then the highest side wall you can get is from 255/35/20 tires. I am told that these fit without rubbing and do not confuse the onboard electronics. That size should give you +9.4% side wall over the stock tire. You can't fit any other tire with a higher aspect ratio than that.