Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+ Cold Weather Range and Capacity Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following this thread.

Seems better the 2019 sr+ Because ours has only 45kWh useable at best. (Excluding the buffer) I also have ScanMyTesla.

(338km of the 386 left, Tesla will speak to my lawyer. Never had the full pack to begin with)

Attachments

• 49C83302-52FA-4012-91C3-A0D96D0CD8CB.png
    49C83302-52FA-4012-91C3-A0D96D0CD8CB.png
    233.9 KB · Views: 388
Hi All, I previously did a range test at as optimal conditions for the car in the winter as possible (pre-heated battery, 32F, 70mph, no heater)

On Saturday I did 2x out of 3 suboptimal (faster + heat on):

Details:
75-77 mph cruise control setting. (Some traffic, construction, onramps off ramps, view video with overlayed graph for a good sense of speed. I think avg speed was 73-74mph for the data reported), 32F out (warmer than last test), had heat set to 68-70F the whole time.

optimal condition:
I charged at a supercharger which did preheat the battery to 39C. Honest truth for why this is is I ended up getting coffee before the range test and could not fully recharge the battery at home until I got below 93% (did not know that was a problem). I only have 120V charging and I wasn't going to wait that long.

Results:
I drove 181.4 miles on 95% dSoC (charge) at an efficiency of 268 wh/mile. That implies a 191ish mile range. If you include the buffer below 0% that's how you get to the clickbaity theoretical 200 miles.

Overall I think the heatpump driven heating system took only 6-7 miles of real world range which I think is going to be obviously worth it to everyone who has relatively mild winters like we do in the northeast of the USA.

I don't know if I'll be doing too many more range tests as they put alot of miles on the car!!! I hope this video is helpful for people figuring out what range to expect from the bigger battery SR+ w/ heatpump!

(moderator note: moved new thread into existing thread on range tests created by this OP)

@aschulz90

(not moderation content, personal opinion only)

I dont watch many videos online (as thats not my thing), but I took a look at this second video you put out. I enjoyed it, nice job. I thought it was pretty well done, not too long, and covered what many laypeople want to know which is "how far can I go in this car, under regular conditions, without all too much technical gobbledygook?"

Also, really cute and well behaved dog in the back seat there :)

Given what I saw of this video, said as a person who doesnt watch many "regular person" videos online, I would definitely watch something else you put out.

I dont watch many videos online (as thats not my thing), but I took a look at this second video you put out. I enjoyed it, nice job. I thought it was pretty well done, not too long, and covered what many laypeople want to know which is "how far can I go in this car, under regular conditions, without all too much technical gobbledygook?"

Also, really cute and well behaved dog in the back seat there :)

Given what I saw of this video, said as a person who doesnt watch many "regular person" videos online, I would definitely watch something else you put out.
Unlike JJ, I DO watch a ton of Tesla related videos, but like JJ, I don't often watch them when they're posted here on TMC, as they're usually either: 1. A new YouTuber trying to pimp his/her channel or Tesla code 2. The video is a thinly veiled attempt to hide the fact that they're promoting some service or product in the video. 3. Both 1 and 2.

It's nice to see some actual quality content from someone that doesn't check one of the above boxes... just another excited Tesla fan eager to share his experiences.

Good stuff.

Reactions: jjrandorin
@mrgoogle.

what does your SMT result say for cell imbalance, full pack when new and degradation?
z
I should have a screenshot somewhere here, will make a new one soon.

But out top of my head,

Nominal full pack: 46.9 to 47.1 kWh.
Energy Buffer is 2.0 to 2.1 kWh.
Cell imbalance starts off low with full charge but imbalance goes all the way up to 60-100mv the lower you get.

I did attach first two (old!) pics from when car was few months old:

Useable capacity at 100% is about 44.8kWh, or slightly less then 40 kWh with a 90% charge.

Attachments

• 8E00BCDE-8A0F-4DBC-A229-E30B5CAA2BFB.png
    8E00BCDE-8A0F-4DBC-A229-E30B5CAA2BFB.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
  • C0861BFB-7007-42D2-B843-804344CD33FB.png
    C0861BFB-7007-42D2-B843-804344CD33FB.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 91
z
I should have a screenshot somewhere here, will make a new one soon.

But out top of my head,

Nominal full pack: 46.9 to 47.1 kWh.
Energy Buffer is 2.0 to 2.1 kWh.
Cell imbalance starts off low with full charge but imbalance goes all the way up to 60-100mv the lower you get.

I did attach first two (old!) pics from when car was few months old:

Useable capacity at 100% is about 44.8kWh, or slightly less then 40 kWh with a 90% charge.
Updated for new screenshot. It’s nominal full pack 46 kWh.. That makes it 44 kWh useable at 100% or so

Attachments

• 1DE02299-10AF-43C0-9885-821B3DEA1E86.jpeg
    1DE02299-10AF-43C0-9885-821B3DEA1E86.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 110
I would try to calibrate the BMS. It is not a degradation. There is a thread somewhere here. You have to leave the car charged and asleep at different SOC over a few weeks and at some point after a few weeks to a month(even two) charge to 100% and leave it there until it stops charging. Do not use sentry mode in this period at all.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life