Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model S Refresh Roof Rack Installation Nightmare!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last Model S that I owned was purchased in 2018 with the sunroof, so the roof rack installation was pretty straightforward with the tabs being on the side of the car, separate from the glass. With this new Model S, I was curious to see how this new glass roof installation would be. I called into the service center to ensure that the rails on the Tesla website would be compatible and three people told me that it was. I purchased the rails and they were just delivered today. When installing the metal tabs on the passenger side, I had no problem getting things installed. When I moved over to the driver's side, I went through the same process, and on the first attempt, the glass cracked!

The reason why is, the top glass isn't properly aligned. If you look at the photos I've attached, you can see that there is a much bigger gap on the passenger side vs the driver's side, and the reason why the glass cracked, was because there wasn't enough room for the metal piece to slide under the plastic one. I've created an appointment for the glass to be replaced, and for Tesla to take a look at this, but if any of you are doing this installation, please check the gap as obviously Tesla has a huge problem with alignment issues with their panels!

tempImageNqnnRP.jpg
tempImageRPfszh.png
tempImagehKa7ov.png
tempImageM60eaN.png
tempImageOnPRJ4.png
tempImageODbMcj.png
tempImage5EOqk7.png

Update: Took it in today to my SC and they are going to replace the glass for free this Thursday. The foreman saw that there was clearly an alignment issue and suggested that users check this before trying to install as it obviously could cause problems.
Did you finally install the roof rack? I'd be curious to see how it looks and if you like it. I know much about the pano (sunroof) racks but not the all glass roof racks. Very grateful if you could post some pics of the finished product. Thank you.

I have the same issue on my vehicle. One corner of the glass is off. The service center checked a few other cars that were ready for delivery and found the same issue on every one of them, just at different corners. Were you ever able to get the rails installed finally? This is an issue for me as a use my rack regularly :(

The last Model S that I owned was purchased in 2018 with the sunroof, so the roof rack installation was pretty straightforward with the tabs being on the side of the car, separate from the glass. With this new Model S, I was curious to see how this new glass roof installation would be. I called into the service center to ensure that the rails on the Tesla website would be compatible and three people told me that it was. I purchased the rails and they were just delivered today. When installing the metal tabs on the passenger side, I had no problem getting things installed. When I moved over to the driver's side, I went through the same process, and on the first attempt, the glass cracked!

The reason why is, the top glass isn't properly aligned. If you look at the photos I've attached, you can see that there is a much bigger gap on the passenger side vs the driver's side, and the reason why the glass cracked, was because there wasn't enough room for the metal piece to slide under the plastic one. I've created an appointment for the glass to be replaced, and for Tesla to take a look at this, but if any of you are doing this installation, please check the gap as obviously Tesla has a huge problem with alignment issues with their panels!

View attachment 699703View attachment 699704View attachment 699705View attachment 699706View attachment 699707View attachment 699708View attachment 699709
I Just attempted to install my Tesla Roof Rack on my new 2021 Model 3. Three metal tabs installed easily. The fourth was tight and thought it was in the slot but when tightening the nut the glass cracked. I can see the slot on the passenger side but the drivers side is too tight. The glass is not aligned properly.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 189
  • measurement2.jpg
    measurement2.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Informative
Reactions: impastu
No way I would install a wimpy roof rack on this thing.

BTW OEM Model X hitch fits like a glove. It even has Model S load specs on the hitch. Probably better efficiency than adding a sail on top too.

Towed 3500 lbs this weekend like there was nothing back there.

I got rear ended so I had to push this off by 1.5 months.

I just tried installing it. The clip will not go in at all on the driver side. The clip goes in with ease on the passenger side. Used a digital caliber and the driver side’s gap is smaller by 1mm.

Made a SC appointment.

Attachments

• D0FC3D9C-D548-43E1-B2A6-8CED66F46869.jpeg
    D0FC3D9C-D548-43E1-B2A6-8CED66F46869.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 1120DDFD-163A-47B9-9411-F2A568EE0500.jpeg
    1120DDFD-163A-47B9-9411-F2A568EE0500.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 36FDE1CA-E4B7-45AE-91C9-B57C961BA68F.jpeg
    36FDE1CA-E4B7-45AE-91C9-B57C961BA68F.jpeg
    399.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 63282DD5-9D48-4EC5-B57A-8CABC826C8EF.jpeg
    63282DD5-9D48-4EC5-B57A-8CABC826C8EF.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 81
I had no difficultly installing a rack myself. However, definitely go the SC route if you encounter difficulties getting the clips in. My roof cracked from a rockchip (rock hit just on the leading edge of the roof) and had to be replaced. I put my rack on when I took it in to get the roof replaced to ensure (i) that the SC centred the glass when they installed it, and (ii) that if it cracks, it's their fault.

In any event, a dumb design by tesla. Audi, BMW, Merc and others have successfully used the tiny door that allows the rack to not even touch the paint (of course, not the case with our cars). I wish tesla had adopted that design for this vehicle.

I had no difficultly installing a rack myself. However, definitely go the SC route if you encounter difficulties getting the clips in. My roof cracked from a rockchip (rock hit just on the leading edge of the roof) and had to be replaced. I put my rack on when I took it in to get the roof replaced to ensure (i) that the SC centred the glass when they installed it, and (ii) that if it cracks, it's their fault.

In any event, a dumb design by tesla. Audi, BMW, Merc and others have successfully used the tiny door that allows the rack to not even touch the paint (of course, not the case with our cars). I wish tesla had adopted that design for this vehicle.
Yeah, I struggled trying to get the metal clip on the driver side. Just to confirm I wasn't "user error", I figured I should try it on the passenger side. The passenger side slipped in so easily.

Yeah... this is my first roof rack install. But my last BMW had those tiny doors and seemed much more elegant than this.