Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model Y (Lease Transfer)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say you can argue there is some benefit on a car you can buy at the end. But with tesla, you are literally paying a high down payment for the opportunity to rent the car from them. That 10k doesn’t give you any equity. But the sellers probably realizes that. He’s just at the wrong place to try to pawn it off on someone.

Sometimes Tesla lets you buy at end of lease but they withhold the authority to take the car back, so as of now I don't know if this car will be buyable at the end. Either way, if you're looking for equity, leasing is probably not the move for you. Better to buy.

Tesla does not offer buys; it’s only lease return

Just think about it logically: There's no downside for them to also reserve the right to offer a buyout when the lease expires (or even sooner). If their business model changes and they want to start offering lease buyouts, they can make that policy change overnight with absolutely zero downside. They also withhold the right to do it on a case-by-case, car-by-car basis. It ultimately just gives them more options financially.

The people on Leasetrader with $1K per month payments are also asking for down-payments, and they are often above $5K. Easy math: 20+ months of $480/month with $10K down VS $1K/month with $5K down. What's the better deal?
This is the exact reason why we are telling you to go to lease hacker. There are stupid leases on there. Just saying, you’re not gonna get anywhere on here. But good luck to you bumping it everyday.

Greetings, everyone! I'm looking for someone to take over my Model Y lease. I did lots of road-tripping in the last year and have no plans of doing more. Details below!

- Located in Oregon.
- Black exterior, black interior.
- Lease ends May 2024.
- Payment to Tesla is $480/month.
- Current mileage is 24K. Total allowed mileage is 45K.
- You can go over 45K miles but there might be a fee of $0.25 per additional mile.

I'd like $10K for the lease transfer, because of inflation and the long wait-time for new Teslas. I also originally put $10K down on the lease, which is why the monthly payment is relatively low (usually it's closer to $1K per month). However, I'm open to negotiation on this number. Just looking to get some of my investment back.

Message me if interested. Cheers!
Hi I'm interested if your lease is still available.