Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model Y (Lease Transfer)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, everyone! I'm looking for someone to take over my Model Y lease. I did lots of road-tripping in the last year and have no plans of doing more. Details below!

- Located in Oregon.
- Black exterior, black interior.
- Lease ends May 2024.
- Payment to Tesla is $480/month.
- Current mileage is 24K. Total allowed mileage is 45K.
- You can go over 45K miles but there might be a fee of $0.25 per additional mile.

I'd like $10K for the lease transfer, because of inflation and the long wait-time for new Teslas. I also originally put $10K down on the lease, which is why the monthly payment is relatively low (usually it's closer to $1K per month). However, I'm open to negotiation on this number. Just looking to get some of my investment back.

Message me if interested. Cheers!

Yo! Why's that?

You have 21 months left in the lease.. Divide 10k by 21 months and that's $476.19 + the $480 per month payment.. effective monthly payment is $956 (not including the transfer fee) Correct me if I'm wrong, but with about $6k out of pocket ($4,500 down + TTL) 36 months @ 12k mileage = about $844/mo for a brand new Model Y expected to arrive Dec - Apr.. Money down on a lease is just wasting money

You have 21 months left in the lease.. Divide 10k by 21 months and that's $476.19 + the $480 per month payment.. effective monthly payment is $956 (not including the transfer fee) Correct me if I'm wrong, but with about $6k out of pocket ($4,500 down + TTL) 36 months @ 12k mileage = about $844/mo for a brand new Model Y expected to arrive Dec - Apr.. Money down on a lease is just wasting money

The buyer would be paying a premium for the reduced wait-time. Deal could probably be done in a week or 2, rather than 3-7 months. That's the value I'm offering. Transfer fee is included in down-payment, I should probably mention that. Thanks!

But yeah, paying $6K extra for a Tesla ASAP rather than 3-7 months is probably worth it to someone who has some spare cash and wants a Tesla immediately. That said, I'm open to negotiation, so feel free to make an offer.

Pretty much what SFMatty said. Ive been looking for Model Y takeovers for a bit now and currently in the process of one. 10k down is way to high for this place. Hell, sometimes 6-8k posts are crickets. Just do a search of lease transfers. Also, I started a lease transfer a MONTH ago with the seller. Tesla is so busy right now they havent even sent over paperwork. So the effective monthly payment just keeps going up with that deposit. 2k-5k range generally gets some action on this forum.

Reactions: avaghela
Pretty much what SFMatty said. Ive been looking for Model Y takeovers for a bit now and currently in the process of one. 10k down is way to high for this place. Hell, sometimes 6-8k posts are crickets. Just do a search of lease transfers. Also, I started a lease transfer a MONTH ago with the seller. Tesla is so busy right now they havent even sent over paperwork. So the effective monthly payment just keeps going up with that deposit. 2k-5k range generally gets some action on this forum.

Honestly, I looked on Leasetrader and my offer is better than most offers on there. Most of the monthly payments are around $1K and the sellers are still asking for an additional down-payment. Yes, my down-payment ask is high, but $480/month for a Model Y lease is very low, so there is compensation there. But yeah, obviously Leasetrader is meant specifically for trading, while TMC just has a small marketplace.

Honestly, I looked on Leasetrader and my offer is better than most offers on there. Most of the monthly payments are around $1K and the sellers are still asking for an additional down-payment. Yes, my down-payment ask is high, but $480/month for a Model Y lease is very low, so there is compensation there. But yeah, obviously Leasetrader is meant specifically for trading, while TMC just has a small marketplace.
Thats what im saying, if your offer is better, its going to go fast. Just trying to help you out, cause its rare I see a 10k deposit get traded.

There is no "compensation" for putting 10k down.. That is what we are trying to say. Money down on a lease is literally just PRE paying your payment. So, while 1k/mo may seem worse, its better than losing 10k. The 10k would perform better in the market right now, and most people who can afford to put 10k down on a lease can afford close to 1k a month on a lease. If I put 10k down and get t-boned next month, the car is totaled and my 10k is nowhere to be seen.

Reactions: IndyGopher
There is no "compensation" for putting 10k down.. That is what we are trying to say. Money down on a lease is literally just PRE paying your payment. So, while 1k/mo may seem worse, its better than losing 10k. The 10k would perform better in the market right now, and most people who can afford to put 10k down on a lease can afford close to 1k a month on a lease. If I put 10k down and get t-boned next month, the car is totaled and my 10k is nowhere to be seen.
I would say you can argue there is some benefit on a car you can buy at the end. But with tesla, you are literally paying a high down payment for the opportunity to rent the car from them. That 10k doesn’t give you any equity. But the sellers probably realizes that. He’s just at the wrong place to try to pawn it off on someone.

I would say you can argue there is some benefit on a car you can buy at the end. But with tesla, you are literally paying a high down payment for the opportunity to rent the car from them. That 10k doesn’t give you any equity. But the sellers probably realizes that. He’s just at the wrong place to try to pawn it off on someone.
+1 - maybe try swapalease. Folks here here are way too informed.

The people on Leasetrader with $1K per month payments are also asking for down-payments, and they are often above $5K. Easy math: 20+ months of $480/month with $10K down VS $1K/month with $5K down. What's the better deal?