Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Y USB Drive Formats. not Recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla moved the USB data port for Dash cam and Sentry to the glove box for added security (the glove box can be locked with a PIN.) Tesla later removed data support for the front USB-C ports due to supply chain issues or other reasons known only to Tesla.
That makes sense to me. I am glad that Tesla added another USB port in the glovebox since it is a good place to keep the USB/SSD for dashcam/sentry.

Hello, I have been trying to follow this thread to help solve my issue with the Dashcam. I have a 2020 MYP with NO usb in the glovebox, a USB A & C in the center console under the wireless charge pad. I have plugged in a SanDisk 256GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive, 130 MB/s Read. The car recognizes and formats the drive on the UI. I see an exclamation on the UI that says, "Success!". But I am unable to actually use the Dashcam. I still have the little red dot/x in the corner of the Dashcam icon. When I select the icon I get a Yellow Splat under the image of the car on the left of the UI that says the USB Drive in unavailable The Car formats the USB with a root drive, Tesladrive.

I tried to format on my Mac (MS-DOS FAT), following the instructions from the manual, creating a root drive "TeslaCam". To no avail, when I plug the USB drive into the port, it does not recognize and asks to be reformatted. To which I comply and I am back on the hamster wheel.

Any Ideas?

The Sandisk USB thumb drive could be defective.

I have a 2020 LRMY with the same USB port configuration. The following USB storage has worked for 3 years in my Model Y for saving Dashcam and Sentry mode video recordings.

Sandisk Mobile mate 3.0 Reader: SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader- SDDR-B531-GN6NN

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB MicroSD Card (Long Lasting; now also available in 256GB): SAMSUNG PRO Endurance 128GB MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter for Dash Cam

See also:

Sandisk High Endurance Micro SD Card (Long Lasting; also available in 256GB): SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC Card

Sandisk Max Endurance Micro SD Card (Longest Lasting; also available in 256GB): SanDisk 128GB MAX Endurance microSDXC Card

The Tesla instructions: Formatting USB Storage for Dashcam, Sentry Mode, Track Mode

I had the same issue with a T7 2TB
, then I found this forum, and hearing that I wasnt alone, I tried this:

1) I formatted the drive via my Tesla 3

2) connected the drive to my Laptop, and followed the manual format instructions.
(Upon connection to my Laptop I noticed that the drive was named Tesla Drive) So I added the base folders (New 📂 Folder) renamed it TeslaCam and Tesla TrackMode.

3) reconnected it to the USB port in the Glovebox, and "VOILA" it worked.

I am running out of ideas how to get the USB drive recognized in my wife's 2021 Tesla Y.

About a year ago the originally purchased USB drive worked fine but recently when I drove it I noticed the little red X on the drive icon. (My wife never told me about this since this is her car and she does not pay attention to many things on the car. Therefore I do not know how long the USB drive has not been working.)

This Tesla Y is running 2022.44.30.10 software and has the USB drive slot in the center console under the phone charge location, not glove box.

We had originally used a Micro SD card with a USB 2.0 drive and this worked at least until last year when I viewed some footage on Sentry Mode. I tested it numerous times and Sentry Mode was working last year.

Last week I noticed the red X and started doing some research. My initial though is the original USB drive is rather cluncky and since my wife stores things in the storage location, I theorized it was knocking the drive slightly our of its drive slot.

So after reading numerous forums, I decided to purchase a 512gb Scandisk Ultra Fit. I figured this low profile would work better and not come loose.

The drive seems to format properly via the Tesla software on the Y. I confirmed this by viewing the drive on my Mac and it shows the drive name as "TESLADRIVE" and format as exFat which I believe are all correct. There are no drive partitions and the drive is empty even though I tried recording someone on it via honking the horn (option enabled) before viewing on Mac,

Yet the icon in the lower screen still has the red X. Clearly something is wrong.

I have tried a complete power down of the Y but this'd not fix the issues. I am open to suggestions on fixing the issue.
I had the same issue with a T7 2TB
, then I found this forum, and hearing that I wasnt alone, I tried this:

2) connected the drive to my Laptop, and followed the manual format instructions.
(Upon connection to my Laptop I noticed that the drive was named Tesla Drive) So I added the base folders (New 📂 Folder) renamed it TeslaCam and Tesla TrackMode.

Hello, I have been trying to follow this thread to help solve my issue with the Dashcam. I have a 2020 MYP with NO usb in the glovebox, a USB A & C in the center console under the wireless charge pad. I have plugged in a SanDisk 256GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive, 130 MB/s Read. The car recognizes and formats the drive on the UI. I see an exclamation on the UI that says, "Success!". But I am unable to actually use the Dashcam. I still have the little red dot/x in the corner of the Dashcam icon. When I select the icon I get a Yellow Splat under the image of the car on the left of the UI that says the USB Drive in unavailable The Car formats the USB with a root drive, Tesladrive.

I tried to format on my Mac (MS-DOS FAT), following the instructions from the manual, creating a root drive "TeslaCam". To no avail, when I plug the USB drive into the port, it does not recognize and asks to be reformatted. To which I comply and I am back on the hamster wheel.

Any I had the same issue with a T7 I tried this:

(Upon connection to my Laptop I noticed that the drive was named Tesla Drive) So I added the base folders (Create New 📂 Folder) rename it "TeslaCam" and "Tesla TrackMode".

One other thing that I haven’t heard mentioned on this thread: one has to be a bit careful about the write speed of the USB stick one uses in the Tesla. Tesla does have some words about this. Trick is, the USB manufacturers tend to put in a lot of verbiage about how fast their read speeds are and little to none about the write speeds.

Further, even when write speeds are mentioned, sustained write speeds often aren’t. Worse, those sustained write speeds vary dramatically from manufacturer to manufacturer and are a function of the block size.

After having issues with some fairly expensive USB sticks not working on my old 2018 M3, I got bloody minded about it all, found some testing software for USB sticks on the Web, and discovered that just being “3.1” with “fast speeds!” wasn’t good enough. Found a better one at Best Buy after looking up specs on the web.

Currently using the one that came with the 2023 M3 that I’m now driving.

After having issues with some fairly expensive USB sticks not working on my old 2018 M3, I got bloody minded about it all, found some testing software for USB sticks on the Web, and discovered that just being “3.1” with “fast speeds!” wasn’t good enough. Found a better one at Best Buy after looking up specs on the web.
FWIW: Tesla says their usb port is usb-2 (60 MB/sec) so the speed of those fast and fancy usb-3 (620 MB/sec) and usb-3.1 (1250 MB/sec) devices won't help.

Some features require you to use a USB drive (for example, Dashcam, Sentry Mode) that meet these requirements:
  • Minimum storage capacity of 64 GB. Use a USB drive with as much available storage as possible. Video footage can occupy a large amount of space.
  • A sustained write speed of at least 4 MB/s. Note that sustained write speed differs from peak write speed.
  • USB 2.0 compatible. If using a USB 3.0 drive, it must also support USB 2.0.
  • Properly formatted (described below).
I use Samsung micro sdcards with a Samsung sdcard reader/adapter. They are inexpensive, they have great endurance specs, and they run cooler than the fancy usb-3 devices. For me too much heat has been an issue.

FWIW: Tesla says their usb port is usb-2 (60 MB/sec) so the speed of those fast and fancy usb-3 (620 MB/sec) and usb-3.1 (1250 MB/sec) devices won't help.

Some features require you to use a USB drive (for example, Dashcam, Sentry Mode) that meet these requirements:
  • Minimum storage capacity of 64 GB. Use a USB drive with as much available storage as possible. Video footage can occupy a large amount of space.
  • A sustained write speed of at least 4 MB/s. Note that sustained write speed differs from peak write speed.
  • USB 2.0 compatible. If using a USB 3.0 drive, it must also support USB 2.0.
  • Properly formatted (described below).
I use Samsung micro sdcards with a Samsung sdcard reader/adapter. They are inexpensive, they have great endurance specs, and they run cooler than the fancy usb-3 devices. For me too much heat has been an issue.
Good enough. FWIW, if memory serves, it was the sustained write speeds spec that was the issue. The software I found would do read and writes of different sized blocks, at speed. As one might imagine, big enough blocks would defeat any write caching by the controller chips on the handful of USB sticks that I had, revealing the true write speeds of the underlying hardware.

The advertisements on most of the packaging was uninformative and, in some cases, misleading in the extreme.

I got busy and started looking for actual data sheets since, well, I am a HW design engineer. It was an interesting rabbit hole; some rather mainstream suppliers were really not going to tell one anything at all except, “USB3 Speeds Up To” some carefully manipulated number.

I eventually found a couple of suppliers with real numbers, tested one slightly-more-expensive-than-average one, verified its numbers, and then used it for years without trouble. Although I think the first of these eventually wore out: FLASH RAM of all flavors definitely has a fixed lifetime, which the makers of USB sticks are loath to reveal.

Worse, I suppose, it’s not just the actual FLASH devices on the sticks. The firmware, features, and cost of the controllers makes a substantial difference in speed, capabilities, and reliability of these cheap devices, and sometimes not so cheap devices, with manufacturers playing silly buggers on saving pennies at the expense of capability and reliability at every corner. And the worst of these manufacturers delivering crap at the same price point as more reliable vendors. I think Western Digital comes to mind..

In any case, imagine the complaints to Tesla from the Ma and Pa Sixpacks if the world who just wanted to use the dashcam and had wandered into this swamp. No wonder new Teslas come with a Tesla branded stick that has, presumably, been vetted by bloody minded engineers who won’t take BS from vendors.

Good enough. FWIW, if memory serves, it was the sustained write speeds spec that was the issue. The software I found would do read and writes of different sized blocks, at speed. As one might imagine, big enough blocks would defeat any write caching by the controller chips on the handful of USB sticks that I had, revealing the true write speeds of the underlying hardware.
Fair enough. I think the microSD cards are designed for this kind of sustained video-speed writing in harsh environments and are thus the right tool for the job. I originally used a Samsung T5 but it crapped out after about 18 months. I'm confident the problem was heat and not the number of writes. So I'm a convert to the microSD card camp and perhaps a little over-zealous.

Samsung does publish their microSD card endurance specs, for example:

where they say their Pro Endurance 256G microSD card can withstand up to 16 years of continuous writing. I've posted elsewhere that even their smaller cards had enough write endurance to outlast the cars.

I spent about 10 years working on a version of Linux designed to run directly from a usb stick. This gave me a lot of hands-on experience and also exposed me to the experiences of thousands of users. Samsung devices have always be very reliable. I was surprised the T5 crapped out so soon. Sandisk UltraFit are the worst partly due to excessive heat.

I have the Pro Endurance card and it's just not recognized by the car. NO USB drives are recognized by the car. It's a little crazy that it stopped working. I have tried resetting the screen, hard resetting, etc, etc.

Consider yourself lucky that it has not just stopped working. Here is to hoping that it continues to work without issue.
A follow up - I did take the car in for an unrelated service and had them check into this. I don't know what they did but it came back to life for me on my original Samsung memory stick - which then threw an error code during the drive home. I purchased a Tesla-branded USB stick and it has been working flawlessly since then.

So a combo of not seeing the drive and a faulty drive ended up being the root cause. Unfortunately, I don't have any information on what they did to resolve the issue.

I have a 2023 model y.I did not know about the USB c ports in the center thing. Just found them. Did not know they don't have data. But I saw a YouTube video a kid was using a USB hub in the glove box in his 2021 model 3. Worked great. Have not tried that. But I took out the 128gb in the glove box and added another 128 or 256 stick. Did not show a USB icon. Cannot load music. I formatted as fat32 and even tried exfat. No luck. Fast32 is not limited to 4gb. Each file is limited to 4gb. But the drive it self is not. I formatted 128 and 256gb drives as fast 32. All show up no partitions.

They only have one data active usb port in the glove box now . Mine March 2023 build was like that. Easiest solution is buying a USB hub for the glove box that has extra slots for more slots . I believe the new drive has to have a named folder. Also you can buy an the PC board they left out that will make the center
console ports data active. See above thread . I don't think it has anything to do with new camera's in hardware 4

Ok I fixed it.

1. I verified the glove box in my 2023 model y is the only data port. The other 4 c ports do nothing.

2. It has to be Exfat. The 128gb Tesla branded flash drive that came with the Tesla was Exfat not fat 32.

3. Once I partitioned in 2 it showed USB icon. It would not show if I added files to the same flash drive. It needs a second partition for music. I named first TESLA DRIVE as the original was named that. And MUSIC for the other partition. Not it shows USB icon and all my songs.

Or a hub might work also but no need. Partition in 2 good enough. I just copied the exact folders over from the original Tesla drive to the micro SD I partitioned in 2. Works great. Shows all my clips.

Or you format in the car by searching for dashcam. Then say format USB. It adds a teslacam folder and then partition in half on your Mac or PC.

Works great. I am using a micro SD card 400gb. Now the question is the micro SD to USB A adapter I am using is USB 2.0 but the glovebox is 3.0. Does it matter? Is 2.0 good enough? Or I need 3.0?

Ok I fixed it.

1. I verified the glove box in my 2023 model y is the only data port. The other 4 c ports do nothing.

2. It has to be Exfat. The 128gb Tesla branded flash drive that came with the Tesla was Exfat not fat 32.

3. Once I partitioned in 2 it showed USB icon. It would not show if I added files to the same flash drive. It needs a second partition for music. I named first TESLA DRIVE as the original was named that. And MUSIC for the other partition. Not it shows USB icon and all my songs.

Or a hub might work also but no need. Partition in 2 good enough. I just copied the exact folders over from the original Tesla drive to the micro SD I partitioned in 2. Works great. Shows all my clips.

Or you format in the car by searching for dashcam. Then say format USB. It adds a teslacam folder and then partition in half on your Mac or PC.

Works great. I am using a micro SD card 400gb. Now the question is the micro SD to USB A adapter I am using is USB 2.0 but the glovebox is 3.0. Does it matter? Is 2.0 good enough? Or I need 3.0?
The glovebox USB port seems to just be a USB 2.0 port since it has a USB black bar inside unless Tesla did not paint the USB blue bar inside (which normally indicates USB 3.0 with the blue bar) so it doesn't really matter. But to play music a USB 2.0 drive is fine.

The glovebox USB port seems to just be a USB 2.0 port since it has a USB black bar inside unless Tesla did not paint the USB blue bar inside (which normally indicates USB 3.0 with the blue bar) so it doesn't really matter. But to play music a USB 2.0 drive is fine.
Yes but if it's a dash cam drive also then video needs 3.0?

It says here make sure it's 2.0 compatible and A sustained write speed of at least 4 MB/s.

So that is not very fast. But not sure if that is a current or outdated page.

Or if 2.0 is good enough then a splitter like this maybe.

Last edited:
Yes but if it's a dash cam drive also then video needs 3.0?

It says here make sure it's 2.0 compatible and A sustained write speed of at least 4 MB/s.

So that is not very fast. But not sure if that is a current or outdated page.

Or if 2.0 is good enough then a splitter like this maybe.

Not sure what you are getting at. I am just saying take out the Tesla USB drive and look at the actual glovebox USB port bar. If you look at it at least in HW3 cars it currently has a black bar which shows it should be a USB 2.0 port. Not sure if it changed in HW4 to be a blue port but maybe you can verify it for HW4 cards.

Just because you put a glovebox USB hub with USB 3.0 ports doesn't mean it will operate at USB 3.0 speeds since the source USB port is just a USB 2.0 port and will be bottlenecked by USB 2.0 speeds.

Personally since Tesla seems to be moving towards a glovebox data USB port only, it should include a USB-C port instead of just a USB 2.0 or even USB 3.0 port. That way if you put in a USB-C hub in that glovebox USB port it has the bandwidth to support multiple devices.

1707172800126.png

Um. Just a minor comment on this thread.

Had a 2018 M3 RWD LR for several years. When dashcam/sentry became available, went and stuck a variety of different USB sticks in the two sockets that were in the center console, up front, with a Y splitter cable so could continue to charge phones and such.

The main takeaway: USB 2.0 drives don't have particular good sustained write speeds. One can find ones that do, but they're not common, and the manufacturers of the ones that are findable in Staples and Best Buy tend to obfuscate the actual specs, on purpose. (Bigger write blocks take longer, stuff like that. And almost all of these things have caches, which means that the first couple of writes go very quickly, followed by ones that Really Don't.)

I found a tool on the web somewhere that I installed on a laptop that I no longer own and tested every USB stick I had lying around.. then went to Best Buy and got one that had specs that claimed to be good. And was. Stuck that in the car and it worked for years without trouble.

I'm not surprised that Tesla started putting their own USB stick in delivered cars; they must have been getting tons of complaints about why the car wasn't working, when it was really poor commercial drives.