Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 TPMS display & reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a somewhat related TPMS problem:
My new 2021 M3P's TPMS display numbers are off from the actual measured pressure (it shows +4 PSI on all four tires). I verified the actual tire pressure with two precision gauges, and also cross-checked ad compared gauge readings with displays on another car.

Is there a method to re-calibrate the display on the screen, aside of simply re-connecting communication after tire changes?
Has anyone else had a problem with inaccurateTPMS display readings?

The 2021's do indeed have the Bluetooth version of the TPMS sensors which I already knew. I had the Tesla mobile tech at the house for a Homelink install and I asked him about resetting, etc. He said there is no method for an owner to do a TPMS reset on these. That's why it's no longer on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I installed a set of the new bluetooth TPMS sensors on my snow tire set and they have not worked from the start. I always have a warning telling me they may take some time to reset or something like that but I've driven 120 miles already and they still don't work. Taking it in to the dealer to see if they can do something about it.

That's very frustrating. TPMS technology is supposed to be improving, not needing to do 'resets' to recognize new sensors. etc. And now, it seems Tesla went backwards. And we don't even have the option to reset the system. So stupid. The sensors on my Ford vehicles get recognized in less than a mile, without having to reset anything. Oh, and they also have HotSpot Wi-Fi, which the 'tech intensive' Tesla lacks.

Nevermind, just noticed they changed the naming from "tpms reset" to "change wheel configuration".
I bought new TPMS from Tesla and went to a regular tire dealer, they put them in and voila! Worked straight away.
Guess they are reset when new.

Last edited:
Nevermind, just noticed they changed the naming from "tpms reset" to "change wheel configuration".
I bought new TPMS from Tesla and went to a regular tire dealer, they put them in and voila! Worked straight away.
Guess they are reset when new.

The 2021 model year Model 3s have a different TPMS than previous years. Its a bluetooth module TPMS instead of the more standard kind. The option to reset the TPMS is not on the screen on this model year, according to owners of that model year (like those in this thread).

There also is no aftermarket option for the TPMS for those bluetooth ones, so one must purchase from tesla, at a higher cost than aftermarket regular TPMS would cost.

Thats a summary of what I understand the issue to be.

I had my wheels refinished (after I scraped them on a curb). My model 3 now shows a TMPS Fault ALL THE TIME!. I also do not have the TMPS Reset button. I've been reading that the newer models only do an "Auto Reset" with an auto learn capability after you drive for 10 minute over 15 MPH. But that makes no sense to me. How would it know if the tires are inflated correctly? In any case I've driven the car for 3 days and I can NOT get the TMPS alert fault to go away. I've rebooted the software.... nothing fixed. I am hesitant to do the :"Factory Reset" but have to try that next before I go for Tesla Service. Any ideas (or comments) from anyone would be appreciated.