Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 TPMS Sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, recently purchased a set of aftermarket rims and TPMS sensors for my 2021 LR+. The issue I am having is no matter what I do the sensors aren't recognized in the car. I have tried 2 sets of TPMS sensors, and both don't work. The first set seemed dead since the scanner at the tire shop didn't even pick up a signal, but the second set was emitting a signal.

The current set of aftermarket TPMS sensors are these ones here and according to 1010 tires have been used on Tesla's many times before. I took my car to my local SC and they confirmed that everything on the car's end is working fine, they even mounted a set of OEM rims and tires and confirmed that everything works. I have a set of aftermarket winter rims and tires that worked just fine, the tire shop even tried copying those TPMS codes to my summer rims and that hasn't worked either. I am stumped why the car is refusing to recognize the summer set TPMS sensors.

The only thing I can think of that may be the issue is that the tire shop is using TPMS programming codes for a 2020 Model S, but according to Tesla's parts catalogue the TPMS sensors have been the same from 2015-2021, and my winter set are off a 2018 car and those work fine. I really don't want to purchase OEM TPMS sensors from Tesla since they are very pricey, so if anyone has any tips let me know.

To my knowledge only the 2021 Model 3/Y have switched to the Bluetooth sensors, and if that were the case for my car the 2018 winter tires shouldn't have worked then.

Last edited:
Hi @pabla ,

From what I have heard and read, the sensors that work for both 315 and 433
do not work well or at all with Tesla.
Have your tire shop tell you what the tires that work are... 315 or 433

Generally US cars work with 433 sensors.
When you confirm that the working sensors are 433 buy a new set that are for
433 only and have them programmed and installed on the car...

I have had good luck with Alligator 590883 - They are for 433
They are purchased "blank" and need to be programmed for your car.
Once installed a quick drive and your car should recognize them.

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi @pabla ,

From what I have heard and read, the sensors that work for both 315 and 433
do not work well or at all with Tesla.
Have your tire shop tell you what the tires that work are... 315 or 433

Generally US cars work with 433 sensors.
When you confirm that the working sensors are 433 buy a new set that are for
433 only and have them programmed and installed on the car...

I have had good luck with Alligator 590883 - They are for 433
They are purchased "blank" and need to be programmed for your car.
Once installed a quick drive and your car should recognize them.

Good luck,

Shawn
Thanks Shawn for the info. The S uses 433MHz sensors. If that's the case where the 315/433 MHz sensors don't work with Tesla cars that would make a lot of sense since everything else has been set properly.

I will try to source a set of 433 MHz sensors and see if that will help.

Hi @pabla ,

I am sorry to have omitted that the sensors I referenced are available
through Amazon for $22.50 each.

Shawn
Do you have any links to any forums with users having issues with dual frequency sensors? I just spoke with my local tire shop and they said they have never had any issues with these sensors. They are willing to return these and replace them with single frequency but they are uncertain if that will do the trick. This will be the 3rd set of TPMS sensors I am swapping in so want it done correctly this time ;)

Hi @pabla ,

Here is a reference, there are more...

and a link to the sensor on Amazon...

Good luck - Trying to help,

Shawn

Reactions: pabla
Just to update, I purchased a set of 433Mhz sensors and those still did not work. Both the tire shop and I are at a loss of words as to why the sensors aren't being picked up. Now I am betting on some sort of interference or something in the rim blocking the signal from the sensors. That is the only thing that I can think of

How far did you drive to check the sensors? Assume you did a good test run, but they do take some time/speed to wake up and connect with the system. I think a few minutes should do it. Worth an ask in case you didnt try that.

Hi @pabla,

Sorry for your continuing issues...
Buying 433Mhz sensors is a good step.
Of many you have taken...

Did the tire shop program the sensors for a 2021 Tesla Model S ?
What sensors did they use?

The reason I ask is that all generic sensors require
minimal programming to "set" the required transmission
parameters for the specific car, brand, and model...

When I saw your name in the thread I was hoping for good news...

Shawn

Hi @pabla,

Sorry for your continuing issues...
Buying 433Mhz sensors is a good step.
Of many you have taken...

Did the tire shop program the sensors for a 2021 Tesla Model S ?
What sensors did they use?

The reason I ask is that all generic sensors require
minimal programming to "set" the required transmission
parameters for the specific car, brand, and model...

When I saw your name in the thread I was hoping for good news...

Shawn
Hey Shawn, they programmed the codes for a 2020 model s (since their programmer doesn't have the 2021 codes). They thought that maybe a 2021 model has different codes, but according to Tesla's parts catalogue the 2021 shares the same sensors as 2016+ models. Also my winter set with aftermarket sensors was from a 2018 S and the sensors picked up without any reprograming.

I did some quick research and it seems like the possible issue could be the metal stems blocking the signal, so maybe a plastic valve stem may fix this. Could be also something plugged into the car that could be causing some interference (only have an SSD and the OEM wireless phone charger plugged in).

I am now between spending $500 with OEM sensors which I highly doubt will work or just living with the TPMS error each summer which is less than ideal on a 6 month old car.

Hi @pabla ,

I checked my TPMS programming tool and the codes for Model S TPMS
are the same from 2017 to 2021.
So the difference between 2020 and 2021 I don't believe is your problem...

I think the Continental TPMS system ECU that Tesla uses since 2015 is capable of
memorizing 2 sets of tires.
Those 2 sets are now your winter set of rims and the test OEM rims that Tesla tested for you...

I don't think metal valve stems are your problem either - The system broadcasts the signal
through the rim of your tire...

I am grasping at straws here but I think the codes in your car need to be erased or reset.
They already read your winter tires.
When you got new 433Mhz (only) sensors programmed for Model S 2021 - They need to
be read by your car...
The winter tires also would need to be read by your car...
Then you would have the 2 sets of tires "memorized" by your car...

Service center or mobile service with the TPMS tool should be able to update this for you...

Good luck - Sorry this is such a PITA but it is more complicated than it seems........................

Shawn

The TPMS sensors probably are not compatible. The Tesla Technician I spoke with the other day says you have to use the Continental brand 433 mhz TPMS. I previously got a set from TSportline for $300. Pricey, but at least cheaper than the OEM ones you were quoted. And they are the Continental brand sensors. They worked fine on my aftermarket setup. They look to be the exact OE ones with Model Number TIS-01, just lack the Tesla brand logo. Here's a comparison picture. OE on the left, Tsportline Continentals on the right. Only slight difference is the valve stem, which didn't cause any issues.

TPMS Comparison.jpg

Attachments

• TPMS Comparison.jpg
    TPMS Comparison.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Gtech and All In
The TPMS sensors probably are not compatible. The Tesla Technician I spoke with the other day says you have to use the Continental brand 433 mhz TPMS. I previously got a set from TSportline for $300. Pricey, but at least cheaper than the OEM ones you were quoted. And they are the Continental brand sensors. They worked fine on my aftermarket setup. They look to be the exact OE ones with Model Number TIS-01, just lack the Tesla brand logo. Here's a comparison picture. OE on the left, Tsportline Continentals on the right. Only slight difference is the valve stem, which didn't cause any issues.

View attachment 664849
I think my last shot at this will be a set of OEM/OEM like tpms sensors. Thanks for the heads up though!

Update: Tesla was able to fix the issue!!! Attached is what they did to fix it. It does seem like you were absolutely correct @ShawnA the car only seems to remember only 2 sets of tires and resetting the TPMS in the infotainment isn't a proper reset procedure. PSA if you have had more than 2 sets of wheels on your car and new TPMS sensors aren't showing up take it to Tesla first to get the TPMS system properly reset in the car and don't spend hundreds of dollars on new sensors and getting them installed!!
D1AE99A1-F7CC-4CDC-9071-5EA542167762.jpeg

Thanks, Pabla. I just started having same issues after replacing my rear wheels and tires with more aggressive offset and width. The Model S would only recognize my front two sensors, but not the rear. This would be my third set of wheels in the rear, so makes sense this is the problem.

I took it to the Tesla Center and supposedly they had the car relearn the sensors. Now the car only recognizes one of the rear sensors, but not the other one. Both Tesla and a local tire shop confirmed both rear sensors are operating, although they could only get a signal from the tread side of the tire, not the sidewall. Can you tell me which center you went to to resolve this so that I can have them reach out to the same location and figure this out? Thanks.

Thanks, Pabla. I just started having same issues after replacing my rear wheels and tires with more aggressive offset and width. The Model S would only recognize my front two sensors, but not the rear. This would be my third set of wheels in the rear, so makes sense this is the problem.

I took it to the Tesla Center and supposedly they had the car relearn the sensors. Now the car only recognizes one of the rear sensors, but not the other one. Both Tesla and a local tire shop confirmed both rear sensors are operating, although they could only get a signal from the tread side of the tire, not the sidewall. Can you tell me which center you went to to resolve this so that I can have them reach out to the same location and figure this out? Thanks.
1624310531291.png

Here is the service center that I went to. Hopefully you are able to work out a solution!