Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Uberturbine Wheel Weight

MODEL+

Vendor
Oct 21, 2020
Portland, OR
Reactions: pt19713

srk67

Mar 8, 2019
NorCal
Yeah, it's unreal what the used Tesla OEM wheel prices are on the 3 and Y. I bought my 20x9 Forgestar CF10 for $850/set (normally $1200-1600/set so I got a good deal). They weigh 24.5 lbs, lighter than all the various Y wheels.

I'm always browsing other car forums and looking at wheels for sale. I pretty much ignore everything on the Tesla forum because everything is overpriced.
How did you get the forgestars so cheap

clyde

Jan 16, 2021
Cincinnati
When Porsche came out with the Cayman R/Spyder in 2012 (both of which used lightweight forged, rather than heavier cast wheels), the suspension was changed just for these otherwise identical Cayman/Boxster models.

While reducing weight is always good for an EV's range, and, if the chassis is properly calibrated, for its road handling ability, I would caution to equate lighter wheels with automatically better handling in a car designed for a specific unsprung weight: If you shave off a considerable amount of weight off the wheels/tires, the ride quality may become quite a bit more unpleasant.

dfwatt

Best Car Ever
Sep 24, 2018
FL
Would like to know the load rating as well...

Theres a lot of complaining of this wheels getting bent easily, how can they be so heavy and easy to bend at the same time?

Maybe the load rating is a bit low?

JC
Cheap cast Wheels manage to combine both extremely undesirable properties of boat anchor weight and vulnerability to bending and cracking. One of the best investments you can make if you've got a really good car and you want it to be on its best behavior is to get the lightest set of forged wheels you can afford. The payback over the life of the car will be better ride, better acceleration, significant resistance to defamation and cracking, and last but not least, better looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: anti

dfwatt

Best Car Ever
Sep 24, 2018
FL
When Porsche came out with the Cayman R/Spyder in 2012 (both of which used lightweight forged, rather than heavier cast wheels), the suspension was changed just for these otherwise identical Cayman/Boxster models.

While reducing weight is always good for an EV's range, and, if the chassis is properly calibrated, for its road handling ability, I would caution to equate lighter wheels with automatically better handling in a car designed for a specific unsprung weight: If you shave off a considerable amount of weight off the wheels/tires, the ride quality may become quite a bit more unpleasant.
This rewrites Newtonian mechanics. Less unsprung weight always I repeat always improves ride and more unsprung weight always deteriorates it. It's simply a function of how the more massive assembly cannot more easily follow the irregularities of the road Contour. Handling over rough surfaces is always also improved by less unsprung weight, for obvious reasons. So this notion you are promulgating here is pure disinformation. Curious where you got it? Surely not from Porsche.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Dec 13, 2020
Vilano Beach, FL
Hmmm ...

The weight is certainly a consideration. One plan I had was to swap out the 235/35-20 tires for 255/35-20s, then add some H&R spacers, get a little more offset, better fill in the wheel openings and a little more effective width on that 9" wheel (235s seems so undersized). Cheap with the small difference between selling the Pirellis, buying/installing new tires, keeping the OEM wheels and TPMS sensors), and spacers are only ~$300.

Plus nothing to store or sell, etc., but knowing I could probably score a solid price for new 20" Übers and then apply that towards a lighter, potentially stronger new setup is also kind of compelling. I'm leasing, so it just means Future Me, will need to track down OEM wheels in 3 years :D

shylude

Nov 14, 2019
Austin
Yeah, it's unreal what the used Tesla OEM wheel prices are on the 3 and Y. I bought my 20x9 Forgestar CF10 for $850/set (normally $1200-1600/set so I got a good deal). They weigh 24.5 lbs, lighter than all the various Y wheels.

I'm always browsing other car forums and looking at wheels for sale. I pretty much ignore everything on the Tesla forum because everything is overpriced.
What places do you recommend finding good deals on used wheels? What setup are you currently running?

I have a 2020 stealth performance with Aeros looking for a better 18 or 19in setup.

pt19713

Feb 5, 2020
Delaware
What places do you recommend finding good deals on used wheels? What setup are you currently running?

I have a 2020 stealth performance with Aeros looking for a better 18 or 19in setup.
Facebook Marketplace.
The Mustang forums are also good, although they have mostly staggered setups with large sizes for sale. Everyone once in awhile you'll see the V6 owners posting up squared setups for sale. Most of the tire sizes won't be correct so the ideal setup would be wheels only, or if they come with tires you either scrap them or sell them.

For example this setup, tires are shot, poster wants $800/set. You could negotiate down to $700/set. I've seen them sell for as low as $600. This was what I was going to buy and powdercoat black. I was just waiting on a good deal locally.

Teedub21

Aug 12, 2019
Vancouver Washington
I really wanted a turbine style wheel but the problem is they all weigh a ton. No way around it with all that material. They are likely better for highway efficiency due to aerodynamics, but around town stop and go you will feel it. I went from OEM 18’s to OEM 19’s and could feel the difference off the line. Having said that I have a set of 20x9 Signature forged wheels on the way!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC