Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Uberturbine Wheel Weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: pt19713
Yeah, it's unreal what the used Tesla OEM wheel prices are on the 3 and Y. I bought my 20x9 Forgestar CF10 for $850/set (normally $1200-1600/set so I got a good deal). They weigh 24.5 lbs, lighter than all the various Y wheels.

I'm always browsing other car forums and looking at wheels for sale. I pretty much ignore everything on the Tesla forum because everything is overpriced.
How did you get the forgestars so cheap

When Porsche came out with the Cayman R/Spyder in 2012 (both of which used lightweight forged, rather than heavier cast wheels), the suspension was changed just for these otherwise identical Cayman/Boxster models.

While reducing weight is always good for an EV's range, and, if the chassis is properly calibrated, for its road handling ability, I would caution to equate lighter wheels with automatically better handling in a car designed for a specific unsprung weight: If you shave off a considerable amount of weight off the wheels/tires, the ride quality may become quite a bit more unpleasant.

Would like to know the load rating as well...

Theres a lot of complaining of this wheels getting bent easily, how can they be so heavy and easy to bend at the same time?

Maybe the load rating is a bit low?

JC
Cheap cast Wheels manage to combine both extremely undesirable properties of boat anchor weight and vulnerability to bending and cracking. One of the best investments you can make if you've got a really good car and you want it to be on its best behavior is to get the lightest set of forged wheels you can afford. The payback over the life of the car will be better ride, better acceleration, significant resistance to defamation and cracking, and last but not least, better looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: anti
When Porsche came out with the Cayman R/Spyder in 2012 (both of which used lightweight forged, rather than heavier cast wheels), the suspension was changed just for these otherwise identical Cayman/Boxster models.

While reducing weight is always good for an EV's range, and, if the chassis is properly calibrated, for its road handling ability, I would caution to equate lighter wheels with automatically better handling in a car designed for a specific unsprung weight: If you shave off a considerable amount of weight off the wheels/tires, the ride quality may become quite a bit more unpleasant.
This rewrites Newtonian mechanics. Less unsprung weight always I repeat always improves ride and more unsprung weight always deteriorates it. It's simply a function of how the more massive assembly cannot more easily follow the irregularities of the road Contour. Handling over rough surfaces is always also improved by less unsprung weight, for obvious reasons. So this notion you are promulgating here is pure disinformation. Curious where you got it? Surely not from Porsche.

Last edited:
Hmmm ...

The weight is certainly a consideration. One plan I had was to swap out the 235/35-20 tires for 255/35-20s, then add some H&R spacers, get a little more offset, better fill in the wheel openings and a little more effective width on that 9" wheel (235s seems so undersized). Cheap with the small difference between selling the Pirellis, buying/installing new tires, keeping the OEM wheels and TPMS sensors), and spacers are only ~$300.

Plus nothing to store or sell, etc., but knowing I could probably score a solid price for new 20" Übers and then apply that towards a lighter, potentially stronger new setup is also kind of compelling. I'm leasing, so it just means Future Me, will need to track down OEM wheels in 3 years :D

Yeah, it's unreal what the used Tesla OEM wheel prices are on the 3 and Y. I bought my 20x9 Forgestar CF10 for $850/set (normally $1200-1600/set so I got a good deal). They weigh 24.5 lbs, lighter than all the various Y wheels.

I'm always browsing other car forums and looking at wheels for sale. I pretty much ignore everything on the Tesla forum because everything is overpriced.
What places do you recommend finding good deals on used wheels? What setup are you currently running?

I have a 2020 stealth performance with Aeros looking for a better 18 or 19in setup.

What places do you recommend finding good deals on used wheels? What setup are you currently running?

I have a 2020 stealth performance with Aeros looking for a better 18 or 19in setup.
Facebook Marketplace.
The Mustang forums are also good, although they have mostly staggered setups with large sizes for sale. Everyone once in awhile you'll see the V6 owners posting up squared setups for sale. Most of the tire sizes won't be correct so the ideal setup would be wheels only, or if they come with tires you either scrap them or sell them.

For example this setup, tires are shot, poster wants $800/set. You could negotiate down to $700/set. I've seen them sell for as low as $600. This was what I was going to buy and powdercoat black. I was just waiting on a good deal locally.

I really wanted a turbine style wheel but the problem is they all weigh a ton. No way around it with all that material. They are likely better for highway efficiency due to aerodynamics, but around town stop and go you will feel it. I went from OEM 18’s to OEM 19’s and could feel the difference off the line. Having said that I have a set of 20x9 Signature forged wheels on the way!

I just weighed my 2022 UberTurbine wheels and they weighed 55.6 lbs. However, this was just with a bathroom scale, It wasn't calibrated so it could be off. My 18x8.5" TSportline wheels weighed 46.2 lbs with Michelin 235/45/18 PS4S tires. Maybe the wheel weights are causing the different measurements?

2022 UberTurbine 20x9.0 wheel with 235/35/20 Pirelli PZ4 tires ~5,000 miles.
IMG_5666.jpg

T Sportline TS5 18x8.5 Wheel and 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires with TPMS sensors.
IMG_5660.jpg

Losing 9.4 lbs per corner is probably good enough for my needs.

Same weight I got for the Uberturbines - they are NOT light.

However, I would double check the weight on those Enkei's. The wheel itself is 23lbs. Not sure there is any possible way that tire is 15.5lbs. Package weight should be closer to 46lbs.
IMO the Tesla YP is the single best looking Tesla of any model because of the size and look of Uberturbine wheels.

Can you get lighter? Sure. Do they look good? IMO, no. Not close.

M3P Uberturbine can fit the MY but looks small in wheel well. You can stagger with 275/40/20 and 255/45/20 and it gives lush ride. The huge downside of 21 Uberturbine is they ride like a train. Rickety. Rough. Designed for either a track or roads if Germany- not the horrible freeways here.

The MYP can never get 3.5 in 0-60 runs. Even with 19 light wheels best is 3.65-3.75

So IMO go with aesthetics.

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and AAKEE
Be careful with absolutes. There are always exceptions. 7:38 into this video he does a 3.42 without rollout subtracted in a MYP. Now, these are insanely light and small 18” wheels/tires but it is possible.

View attachment 866822
Well if your accounting for the rotation difference on the speedometer for the size of the wheel then I guess it’s true.

but really the big picture is would you rather have half a second off your time and crappy looking wheels that are too small for the wheel well ? or would you rather be a bit slower and have a sweet looking ride?

to me it’s not even close because how many times are you really going to race that car? if you’re really interested just get a model S LR which will blow the car away at 3.0. Or if you have $$$ get Plaid and game over everything on the road. 3.42 isn’t that quick.

I sold my model Y performance and got the long range with acceleration boost and I’ve raced head to head model YP and they usually beat me by one car length max, so who cares? The distance between 3.7 and 4.2 is about one car length.