Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 UK Model 3 Revised Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't say I've ever noticed anything wrong with mine or felt they've been inadequate.

I would say that the auto-main beam reaction speed (in terms of turning off) is pedestrian, and it doesn't seem to see or notice rear lights up ahead (my last Audi would turn off when it saw those, it didn't have to just see dipped headlights), but I think that's a lack of sensor or whatever problem, like with the wipers.

I do think they are some type of matrix, but for some reason in a fixed setting at the moment. Maybe the software to interpret the camera view is not ready? If Tesla are actively developing their own software for this, that might explain why it's limited. I don't know anything about how new headlights are approved.

At the moment, there isn't any option to convert to driving across the channel. So I guess it will eventually get that option, maybe suggesting "pixels" can be turned on and off.

They are definitely in a configuration for RHD now, not a flat beam.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Adopado
The current lights are dreadful. Not only is the light output mediocre, but the auto function is utter crap. They are too slow to turn off, way too slow to turn back on, don’t react to rear lights and turn off when approaching chevron signs.

The light output of the new lights does seem better but is the functionality improved? And presumably they are still not matrix headlights. Another example of Tesla being way behind the current tech in many respects.

The current lights are dreadful. Not only is the light output mediocre, but the auto function is utter crap. They are too slow to turn off, way too slow to turn back on, don’t react to rear lights and turn off when approaching chevron signs.

The light output of the new lights does seem better but is the functionality improved? And presumably they are still not matrix headlights. Another example of Tesla being way behind the current tech in many respects.
I guess they're dreadful relative to the previous car you drove?

Personally, the current lights are orders of magnitude better than my last 2 cars ('05 E61, '98 XJ8). The key thing for me is that I can now see the road at night time :)

I guess they're dreadful relative to the previous car you drove?

Personally, the current lights are orders of magnitude better than my last 2 cars ('05 E61, '98 XJ8). The key thing for me is that I can now see the road at night time :)

Yes, dreadful compared to the fantastic dynamic matrix lights on my A6, which I still have. I suppose it’s what you’ve been used to, but for me the lights on the M3 are a big step backwards.

I can’t say I can see the road at night on a twisty country lane because every chevron sign causes the damn lights to dip - at exactly the moment when you need them most. I’ve turned the auto function off because I find it isn’t fit for purpose.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
I wouldn't bet Tesla getting adaptive lighting working reliable anytime soon. They can't even to get on/off working in many scenarios.

Sounds like cars currently shipping got lucky. Talk of a price increase (~EU 1000) to cover all the new toys for next quarter vehicles.

I can’t say I can see the road at night on a twisty country lane because every chevron sign causes the damn lights to dip - at exactly the moment when you need them most. I’ve turned the auto function off because I find it isn’t fit for purpose.

I’ve turned the auto function off as well. The chevron problem drives me mad. If there’s a chevron sign then by definition there’s a bend coming up - and just when you need high beam most it gets turned off. It’s laughable.

Also, I don’t understand why high beam still comes on in towns and cities? In my last car high beam never came on if there was sufficient ambient lighting. There should never be a need for high beam on well lit urban streets.

All in all it’s a very poor showing from Tesla.

Reactions: MrBadger