Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 USB-C Ports Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to see if anyone was noticing that the USB-C Ports in their 2021 M3s stay powered on constantly. The seem to stay on all of the time in mine which creates a problem for me. I am using Amazon's Alexa Auto in the car to use voice control for SiriusXM on my phone. When the car is parked in my garage, the car sleeps but since the Alexa Auto box is getting power all of the time, my phone is constantly connecting and disconnecting from the Alexa box in the car as I go in and out of range. I have to manually unplug the Alexa every time I park the car at home which is annoying and causes wear and tear on the USB ports. Am missing something?

Are you sure your car sleeps? Sentry mode or smart summon standby will prevent it from sleeping. Cabin overheat protection will let the car sleep but it will wake it if it needs cooling (for the next 12h after using the car). The car also doesn't sleep while charging.
The common knowledge is that USB ports stay on while the car is awake. It could be different for 2021 but it makes sense to verify that you have nothing preventing your car from sleeping first.

Screen off and mirrors folded happens as soon as you leave the car, it doesn't mean it sleeps. It can stay awake for 30-60 minutes after just for general temperature management. It will also wake up if the 12V battery needs charging for example. One way to know is to get your ear close to the front and listen for a small electric pump. If you hear the pump buzz, the car is awake. I can hear it in my garage but it might be difficult outside in a noisy neighborhood.
I use TeslaFi to know when the car sleeps.