Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 vs 2019-2020 M3 with FSD - Better Value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! We are looking to add another M3 to our stable. I tend to swap vehicles pretty frequently so trying to decide what my best option is from a value stand-point.

I understand cars depreciate and should never be an investment. I know I will lose money if I sell the car in a year... That said, I am looking to determine what is the better value in terms of resale.

I can purchase a 2021 Telsa Model 3 SR+ for $39,200. Brand New with AP. I can also purchase a 2019-2020 Model 3 with 7-15K miles and FSD for about the same price.

Which of these is the better "value"? Is the 2021 upgrades worth more than the FSD on a 2019-2020 in the used car market?

In general, the higher level the trim, the more depreciation tends to hit it, even with a vehicle that CURRENTLY enjoys a pretty good depreciation profile, like the model 3.

FSD itself is somewhat polarizing. Many love it, many dont. Dont buy a car with it on resale value, buy the car with it because you intend to use FSD or want it.

As to your specific question, since all we can do right now is offer opinions, mine is, get the new car, if the goal is to minimize depreciation. Dont add FSD to the new one either if that is the goal, and this is said as someone who has FSD on my model 3, and am happy I bought it, so I am not in the "dont like fsd" camp.

Hey guys! We are looking to add another M3 to our stable. I tend to swap vehicles pretty frequently so trying to decide what my best option is from a value stand-point.

I understand cars depreciate and should never be an investment. I know I will lose money if I sell the car in a year... That said, I am looking to determine what is the better value in terms of resale.

I can purchase a 2021 Telsa Model 3 SR+ for $39,200. Brand New with AP. I can also purchase a 2019-2020 Model 3 with 7-15K miles and FSD for about the same price.

Which of these is the better "value"? Is the 2021 upgrades worth more than the FSD on a 2019-2020 in the used car market?

To echo @jjrandorin's thoughts ...

From a "resale" perspective - the 2021 all day long.

But what would I buy? the 2019-2020 w/ FSD. Initial issues shaken out. Has FSD which is getting RIDICULOUSLY exciting right now.

But I'm the guy who has to have the latest tech toys, too... so nobody should judge anything by what I buy.

To the OP : if you’re willing to buy used, see if there’s a LR (RWD or AWD) for a similar price to the new SR+. Range will help future-proof you’re purchase more than FSD (which can always be added at a later date, if desired). Range is king! Hopefully there’s a 2018-2019 LR in excellent shape for 40k-ish. If so, that’d be where I put my $ in lieu of a new SR+. Just my opinion, of course...your circumstances may lead you to a different conclusion. Good luck.

I'm not one to judge how people choose to spend their money, but there was at least one poster who had ordered an SR+ with FSD in order to stay within his budget. IMO money is much better spent going for a LR dual motor and stick with regular AP. You can always add FSD to the LR later when funds are available. I bought EAP for $5k only because it was the only way to get regular AP back then. I definitely would not have spent the $5k if AP was standard.

In the OP's case, looking to maximize resale value between 2021 SR+ vs used SR+ with FSD, a new 2021 is the way to go. However, if I was in the OP's situation looking to flip the car after a short period, I'd also be looking at used LR dual motor without FSD for well under $40k.

You can't always calculate value if you leave out the owner experience. I use FSD all the time and would never in a gazillion years revert to a car without it. Navigate on Autopilot is a huge convenience, and auto-lane change is a huge deal if you ever have any blind spot anxiety. Plus everything that's coming, very soon now - look at the latest "FSD Beta" youtube clips.

"Buy it when it works" is silly, IMHO, because it's been working quite well for my last 2 years of driving the car, and just keeps getting better. Unless you're anti-tech it's even hard to put a value on the time using it, by the time you re-sell it. And laying out an extra $10k cash always comes at the wrong time. Over the next year, used SR+ cars without FSD will look, and be priced, like strippy models. Check that the used low mileage car has no damage, and had any little knick-knacks serviced, too. Then it's not even close.