Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 vs 2022 Improvements worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an opportunity to buy a used 2021 MYP Aug build for my mil so it has new console and dual pane glass for $67k OTD. We have a MYP on res with March range EDD which will be $73k OTD. Are the 2022 upgrade such as AMD, all season tires and ion battery worth it?

I think so. The 12v lithium ion, Ryzen, and HEPA filter are worth it. I've had my 12v die on me multiple times, a couple of times without warning. The lithium ion 12v is VERY welcomed, The HEPA filter helps with the musty sock smell that constantly happened in my model 3. Ryzen is way faster than the Intel atom.

I think so. The 12v lithium ion, Ryzen, and HEPA filter are worth it. I've had my 12v die on me multiple times, a couple of times without warning. The lithium ion 12v is VERY welcomed, The HEPA filter helps with the musty sock smell that constantly happened in my model 3. Ryzen is way faster than the Intel atom.
HEPA filter “biodefense” was introduced in August 2021. The used 2021 MYP might have it.

You would be "saving" $6k upfront but will loose that much + more possibly once the used car market corrects itself in depreciation with the 2021. If it were me, I'd buy the new one, in a heartbeat! Perhaps even delay it once or twice in hopes to get an Austin-built one with the new battery. :)

I have a 2020 MYLR which I love but can't wait to put in an order in 2024 for, hopefully, a Gen2 MYP.

You would be "saving" $6k upfront but will loose that much + more possibly once the used car market corrects itself in depreciation with the 2021.

That's a pretty big assumption at this point, considering rising wages and the high level of general inflation, the high demand for Teslas right now, and ongoing supply and logistical challenges for the auto industry. Interest rates can only go so high given the current deficit and debt to GDP ratio, so it's hard to say how much inflation will slow down. Clearly the current rate of price rises in new and used cars is going to slow down, but all this "just wait until car transaction prices drop like a rock" really depends on there being a big slowdown in demand or a sudden breakthrough in supply pressures.

Guy on Reddit just posted he just got the latest update on his 2022 and it activates wiper heaters. In case you’re in cold climate that may come in handy.
Pretty sure this is only for China as their models have the wiper heater which will probably show up eventaully on our side of the pond. Wiper heater is poor terminology as it is actually the lower part of the windshield that has defrost capabilities like many cars do. It is also a feature on my S however I have never seen the benefit of these, they really do not make much of a difference at all. You cannot activate something through a firmware update that was never installed at the factory.

Installed 2022.4.5 this morning, this is part of the package.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.24.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.24.11 AM.png
    443.7 KB · Views: 108
I have an opportunity to buy a used 2021 MYP Aug build for my mil so it has new console and dual pane glass for $67k OTD. We have a MYP on res with March range EDD which will be $73k OTD. Are the 2022 upgrade such as AMD, all season tires and ion battery worth it?
The slower intel CPU for the screen is fine for normal driving stuff, but when you go into youtube or other apps it is pretty horrible, so the AMD upgrade will be really nice there. Youtube fires up in a couple of seconds (still too slow!) instead of ~30