Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Wireless Charging Pad - does it fast charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, it can't keep my iPhone 12 Pro topped off if I keep the screen on and run Waze.
Following this thread to see if anyone else has more info. Also curious on the amps that the USB-C ports provide in the front console, if anyone knows.

FWIW, it can't keep my iPhone 12 Pro topped off if I keep the screen on and run Waze.
Following this thread to see if anyone else has more info. Also curious on the amps that the USB-C ports provide in the front console, if anyone knows.

Thats exactly what I need it for. The previous gen you can just put $40 Taptes pad and route some cables to the 12v socket for Fast Wireless Charging. It charges the phone even in that situation: screen on and Waze.

I have an S21, my 2021 wireless pad does about 10w...the notification on the bottom says 'fast wireless charging.'

So not super fast, but not terrible I guess. I have a 20 minute commute to work and it's usually good for about a 10% charge.

I have an S21, my 2021 wireless pad does about 10w...the notification on the bottom says 'fast wireless charging.'

So not super fast, but not terrible I guess. I have a 20 minute commute to work and it's usually good for about a 10% charge.

That is pretty poop.
Have you tried using the USB-C in the back? Does it say Super Fast Charging?

That is pretty poop.
Have you tried using the USB-C in the back? Does it say Super Fast Charging?
I meant to follow up yesterday, I tried using my Verizon charger from my last phone (Pixel 2XL, no wireless) Verizon USB-C Car Charger with Fast Charge Technology | Verizon and I got over 10% charge in less than 10 minutes. That thing is very fast.

I haven't tried using just the C to C cable yet on my S21 since the wireless pad is fine for me, but when I did use just the cable in the inputs it actually didn't charge my Pixel at all. I got the "fast charging" message but no increase of battery. If anything it just maintained it.

So the 12v fast charger outlet might be your best bet if you're looking for a very fast charge.

• Informative
Reactions: dahaz22
I meant to follow up yesterday, I tried using my Verizon charger from my last phone (Pixel 2XL, no wireless) Verizon USB-C Car Charger with Fast Charge Technology | Verizon and I got over 10% charge in less than 10 minutes. That thing is very fast.

I haven't tried using just the C to C cable yet on my S21 since the wireless pad is fine for me, but when I did use just the cable in the inputs it actually didn't charge my Pixel at all. I got the "fast charging" message but no increase of battery. If anything it just maintained it.

So the 12v fast charger outlet might be your best bet if you're looking for a very fast charge.
Can you show your phone positioning? I have a pixel xl 4 - no fast charging and it gets quite hot. Regardless of case no case

Can you show your phone positioning? I have a pixel xl 4 - no fast charging and it gets quite hot. Regardless of case no case
For the wired charger? I just plug into the outlet in the armrest and coil the cable and phone so it lays on top of each other. The S21 isn't a huge phone so it fits pretty well in the center console there while plugged in.

This is one of the things I am most disappointed about on my '21 M3P. The charging is pretty slow, phone gets hot, and it doesn't take much at all for it to get out of place and stop charging. I've found that keeping it scooted to the center of the pad helps a tiny bit.

Reactions: Jejunjm
This is one of the things I am most disappointed about on my '21 M3P. The charging is pretty slow, phone gets hot, and it doesn't take much at all for it to get out of place and stop charging. I've found that keeping it scooted to the center of the pad helps a tiny bit.
It's so terrible. Barely charges and undoubtedly the heat ruins your phone. Has anyone taken this apart?! Upgraded? Tesla service says it's normal and fine (went for several other different things)

I think the main issue is that the Tesla USB ports only supply 7 wats of power. Once it goes through the wireless charging coils you end up with losses which means that you are only getting about 2/3 wats of power at the phone which is pretty pointless.
I have heard of people using a power bank to boost the charge but have been unable to find a power bank that will trickle charge and then stop charging when it is giving power to the wireless pad. Most of the battery banks have pass through charging which passes the tesla power directly to the pad however we really need something that will either boost the power from the tesla USB ports or stop charging and give 10/15w to the charging pad.
I have found that connected to a decent battery bank my Note 10+ 5G charges at a reasonable rate however I have to disconnect my power bank from the cars USB socket and press the power button on the power bank, really not a great solution.
If anyone has any suggestions of a power bank that will disconnect from the car when a phone is charging and doesn't need a button pressed or would boost the 7w from the USB to 15w+ then this would solve my main issue.