Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 wood trim: We don't like it? Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I began searching for information on the wood grain trim. I like the wood and would like to protect it. To do that I was trying to determine what, if any, protection is on the wood now. My searching here has turned up ppl who want to cover it .. or replace it. That's a bit puzzling, but to each his own I suppose.

So I am back to asking is there a urethane or any other clear coat on it?

I get that completely. It’s an aesthetic choice. Personally, I like wood and in this case it is an accent that I am ok with. Wood paneling would be over the top. :)

I’m even thinking about oiling it to richen the color and protect it. The oil I would use is from Monocoat whose products are plant-based.

But I can’t do that if it is already covered with, say, matte urethane. Hence my search.

So I began searching for information on the wood grain trim. I like the wood and would like to protect it. To do that I was trying to determine what, if any, protection is on the wood now. My searching here has turned up ppl who want to cover it .. or replace it. That's a bit puzzling, but to each his own I suppose.

So I am back to asking is there a urethane or any other clear coat on it?
Just protect it like any other wood. I would put some oil to darken the color a little and at the same time protect it from the sun.

It may have some treatment, but that treatment would eventually dry out, and no one has posted info on regular maintenance. So, some people have stained it darker, with MinWax. The black looks nice. But I imagine the urethane paste wax that you use for furniture would work, but slightly darken it.

You might want to try emailing the CEO of Hillsmade, who sells the wood trim accessories. He might know what finish Tesla uses, and he might share what finish they use. I know the CEO is very responsive.

I really, really like the look of tasteful wood trim in a car interior. My previous Cadillac had real sapele wood in the dash, steering wheel and upper door trim. It was, IMO, tasteful - not excessive and of high quality and gloss.

Model 3’s wood trim is fine with me, but I like the Caddy’s finish better. It’d look amazing in the Model 3.
C6E8643C-2E26-4051-839D-8F1A0538D260.jpeg

Reactions: OUengineer
I have seen a few photos of the dash being wrapped a wood grain vinyl that looks pretty good. I plan on doing this myself but the only problem is that I have yet to find any info on how to remove the new 2021 model 3 wood door trim so that I can wrap it.