Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Y LR headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks man. I read a little more on it as well and you’re right. They’re both excellent. I mean this is a premium product you kind of expect it to be.

but my mentality was the same as yours .. I kinda want the newest and best but… whatever.

by the way if you go on Tesla’s website and click between the MY and the MYP you will see it actually changes the headlights ever so slightly on the graphic … so they probably never had any intention to give us peons the better stuff lol!
On the website, they actually had the new headlights for both LR and P for a while and only recently updated the graphic so that the LR has the older lights, which says to me that they're probably not going to change for a while.

Reactions: Tes-londa
I don't even know what you guys are talking about. I just got my MYP on 9-23. What do I look for on the lights, and what do they do that is different? You aren't talking about the adaptive lights are you?
If you see black inserts in your lights and the outermost portions have a spherical glass projector lens, then you have the new lights. By the way- you do have the new lights, all MYPs have for a while. For now the only difference in functionality is that they have a more precise beam pattern and conform to all global markets. What is up for debate is whether or not they have matrix functionality that would allow for the car to shape the beams in response to objects and cars on the road to maximize light without blinding people. If they do, it's not enabled in any market yet. Tesla has demoed lights with this capability at a show in Berlin, unclear if they're identical.

Trying to figure out what headlights these are. Something newer than the matrix headlights?

Matrix headlights would be able to produce these sorts of images, Audis already do a fancier light show when starting up. Open question is if the new US headlights contain the matrix array.

Matrix headlights would be able to produce these sorts of images, Audis already do a fancier light show when starting up. Open question is if the new US headlights contain the matrix array.

I'm just wondering if the lights shown in Berlin are different from the "updated" lights currently shipping on the M3 and MYP. Or if it's the same hardware that's been software enabled to fully utilize the matrix features.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if the lights shown in Berlin are different from the "updated" lights currently shipping on the M3 and MYP. Or if it's the same hardware that's been software enabled to fully utilize the matrix features.
Nobody outside Tesla knows. Certainly from the outside they look like the refresh projector lights. But to be very precise on terminology, your lights are definitely projector headlights. They *might* be matrix as well. Anyone calling the ones on US cars 'matrix' headlights is just guessing like the rest of us. Could be, could not be.

All matrix lights are projector lights because they need the lens for the matrix to focus. Not all projector lights are matrix lights. Are all Tesla Model 3/Y projector lights matrix lights? Unknown.