Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Y LR headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody has really any idea why the MY LR seems to get the old lights as every Model 3 trim has the new lights now. Armchair theorizing aside, I see many new Model Ys on my neck of the woods and have yet to see an LR with the new lights. Easiest way to tell is that there is a spherical glass projector lens on the outer edge of the headlights and the older light uses a faceted reflector to accomplish the main beam focusing.
And you’re in CA? I’m in NY you’d think we’d get the newest stuff just based on volume. Now maybe the caveat is that anything g produced June going forward will have the new “hardware” as per the Tesla rep. He said my car won’t even be made until possibly early September and assured me my LR will have them.

@Tes-londa Tesla reps are rarely a source of accurate information about things like this, sad to say. To date, the community is not aware of anyone receiving a non-Performance Model Y with the newer headlights, and that includes units with June and July build dates. That's not to say that there are none out there in the wild--though if there were, I suspect we'd be seeing it reported here pretty quickly--nor is to say that the LR models will not switch to the newer headlight at some point in time. What it is saying is that so far, it does not appear to have happened, and very few individuals on the planet know if and when it will. Unfortunately, your local Tesla sales person is unlikely to be one of those individuals, "messed up" or not.

Reactions: Tes-londa
@Tes-londa Tesla reps are rarely a source of accurate information about things like this, sad to say. To date, the community is not aware of anyone receiving a non-Performance Model Y with the newer headlights, and that includes units with June and July build dates. That's not to say that there are none out there in the wild--though if there were, I suspect we'd be seeing it reported here pretty quickly--nor is to say that the LR models will not switch to the newer headlight at some point in time. What it is saying is that so far, it does not appear to have happened, and very few individuals on the planet know if and when it will. Unfortunately, your local Tesla sales person is unlikely to be one of those individuals, "messed up" or not.
I guess I blindly trust the word of the people working for the company. Shame on me. You know what I’m sure I’ll love either one because they both seem really good. Idk. Blah. The longer I go without the car I’m like working up Tesla cabin fever. I gotta stop looking at the forum lol.

but just to mention on a side note the guy kind of arrogantly said “don’t believe these forums, they say a lot of ludicrous stuff - all MYs regardless of spec will have the new “hardware”

but just to mention on a side note the guy kind of arrogantly said “don’t believe these forums, they say a lot of ludicrous stuff - all MYs regardless of spec will have the new “hardware”

@Tes-londa much like a broken clock is right twice a day, I'd imagine this guy will eventually be correct and all MYs will come with the newer headlights, but the problem is nobody knows when. I'm pretty sure there was even a tweet from Elon about it near the start of the year that suggested by end of March all new MY would have the new headlights yet here we are more than a quarter beyond that and it still has not come to fruition. I imagine it will, but when.

And you’re in CA? I’m in NY you’d think we’d get the newest stuff just based on volume. Now maybe the caveat is that anything g produced June going forward will have the new “hardware” as per the Tesla rep. He said my car won’t even be made until possibly early September and assured me my LR will have them.
I’m just a couple miles from Tesla HQ, which is in Palo Alto, and I drive by the Fremont factory all the time. Most people ordering in my area just pick up at the actual factory at a delivery center across the street.

How do you figure NY would get new stuff before we do? CA registers 10x as many EVs as NY, and one presumes those are mostly Teslas. It’s definitely the most popular single brand in my area by far.

I’m just a couple miles from Tesla HQ, which is in Palo Alto, and I drive by the Fremont factory all the time. Most people ordering in my area just pick up at the actual factory at a delivery center across the street.

How do you figure NY would get new stuff before we do? CA registers 10x as many EVs as NY, and one presumes those are mostly Teslas. It’s definitely the most popular single brand in my area by far.
I guess where I live a disproportionate amount of people all have Tesla’s , and I’d wager NY is second if anything to CA over say like Ohio or Mississippi lol.

I don’t know you’re angle it’s not a competition I’m just pissed we don’t have our cars ! Lol.

I guess where I live a disproportionate amount of people all have Tesla’s , and I’d wager NY is second if anything to CA over say like Ohio or Mississippi lol.

I don’t know you’re angle it’s not a competition I’m just pissed we don’t have our cars ! Lol.
Nah, was just genuinely curious about your thought process, anything is possible so if you had info I didn't have about NY somehow getting first dibs I'd want to know!

There is a reason this car is in high demand. At this point you are buying at the current peak. 3 months ago I only waited 3 weeks and it was 4K cheaper.
Bah. We seem to jump on the bandwagon late. I’ve wanted this car since the first one came out in 2020 but decided to make our stupid financial decision now!

Although idk how you look at it. My wife brought up a good point … she loves the brand and what it stands for; but also the residual on these cars are amazing. So if all cars are liabilities… at least this one is the least loser compared to say a German car that loses 75% of its value within 3 years.

Bah. We seem to jump on the bandwagon late. I’ve wanted this car since the first one came out in 2020 but decided to make our stupid financial decision now!

Although idk how you look at it. My wife brought up a good point … she loves the brand and what it stands for; but also the residual on these cars are amazing. So if all cars are liabilities… at least this one is the least loser compared to say a German car that loses 75% of its value within 3 years.

If past is prologue, and you have a relatively undamaged Model Y in 3 years, it will be cheaper to own than any sort of lease payment on any car. Tesla knows this, which is why their lease has no purchase option at the end.

If past is prologue, and you have a relatively undamaged Model Y in 3 years, it will be cheaper to own than any sort of lease payment on any car. Tesla knows this, which is why their lease has no purchase option at the end.
I noticed that. I’m the type of guy I want all the new fancy gadgets every couple years. My wife could care less.

HOWEVER after pulling the trigger on a 60k+ car were finding out that was a huge mistake. Original plan was to own it 10 years. 20,000 miles later and we’re lucky if we get 28k for it in the crazy used car market.

happy to be with tesla. You’re absolutely right

If the deal breaker is whether you get updated headlights or not, then perhaps Tesla isnt the brand for you.
It’s not. Do I sense a hint of condescension ???

my man you took time out of your day to be a troll? My MY is on order and im just discussing the nuances of the brand. I could care less what headlights it has

now im learning this from reading the forums but an SA told me it would 100% have that. Why lie to a customer. Either way i can’t wait for the car.

So an update … that neighbors car in fact has the old reflector headlights. I guess LR models won’t get it even though model 3’s all have them now ?? /sigh
I picked up my LR on 8/3 and like everyone else reported, I have the the "old" style lights. At first I was hoping for the new lights because who wouldn't want the newest and best features, right? Then I actually looked up the difference in the lights and it turns out that neither one is necessarily better than the other. The new one is a more squared and focused light, but not really brighter or better (at least not noticeably). Just my opinion based on what I have watched/read. If you want to see the difference there is a video on YouTube with a side by side comparison called "2021v 2020 Tesla Model 3 - THE NEW HEADLIGHTS!". I would link to it, but I don't know if links are allowed.

I picked up my LR on 8/3 and like everyone else reported, I have the the "old" style lights. At first I was hoping for the new lights because who wouldn't want the newest and best features, right? Then I actually looked up the difference in the lights and it turns out that neither one is necessarily better than the other. The new one is a more squared and focused light, but not really brighter or better (at least not noticeably). Just my opinion based on what I have watched/read. If you want to see the difference there is a video on YouTube with a side by side comparison called "2021v 2020 Tesla Model 3 - THE NEW HEADLIGHTS!". I would link to it, but I don't know if links are allowed.
The new matrix headlights might have untapped features, that's why we want it

It’s not. Do I sense a hint of condescension ???

my man you took time out of your day to be a troll? My MY is on order and im just discussing the nuances of the brand. I could care less what headlights it has

now im learning this from reading the forums but an SA told me it would 100% have that. Why lie to a customer. Either way i can’t wait for the car.
Welcome to Tesla life, bro. You win some, you lose some. Of you wanna win all, then wait until the end of time

Also of SA we're always right, we all have flying cars by now🤣

Thanks man. I read a little more on it as well and you’re right. They’re both excellent. I mean this is a premium product you kind of expect it to be.

but my mentality was the same as yours .. I kinda want the newest and best but… whatever.

by the way if you go on Tesla’s website and click between the MY and the MYP you will see it actually changes the headlights ever so slightly on the graphic … so they probably never had any intention to give us peons the better stuff lol!

Reactions: cgell