Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Y Standard Real Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have the standard range RWD Y with induction wheels? Also I live in Southern California so weather is always moderate. Looking for some info on real world range for that setup.

I am thinking I do not need to go with LR and save the money since 99% of my driving are things that are 10 miles or less away from me and I would likely only drive 20-30 miles round trip per day. There is also a supercharging station about 3 miles from my house that I can use if needed. I will take an occasional drive out to Vegas (280 miles) a couple times a year so it won't be an annoyance to stop to charge at a supercharger since it will only be a couple times a year to visit in-laws.

Have you seen this thread on Standard Range Model Y? TESLA MODEL Y STANDARD RANGE

Also, this video of a range test of the SRMY? Model Y - Standard Range RWD - Real world road test - Link Tesla

The Model Y with 20" Induction wheels and the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires should provide similar efficiency to the 19" wheels with the Continental Procontact RX All Season tires. The weight of the Induction wheel is only slightly heavier than the 19" wheel and the Induction wheel is designed for efficient aerodynamics.

The variable that will have the greatest impact is of course your highway speed. If you usually drive at 75 MPH+ on the highway then you are going to wish you had purchased the Long Range Model Y or the Performance Model Y instead.

Try A Better Route Planner and plan out your Vegas trip to see the frequency and duration of the Supercharging stops that will be required in the Standard Range Model Y. The Standard Range Model Y vehicle currently shows as beta on the A Better Route Planner site.

Last edited:
I have not seen those links. Thank you for that, I am very, very new to Tesla or electric cars in general. Historically I have always been an ICE guy and drove NA or Turbo engines with some mods.

On drives to Vegas I have to say that I drive much more on the + side of that 75 number so I have to think about it since speed has a huge change of the range.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction.

Reactions: Rocky_H
In my experience with all my previous ICE cars and my Y, real world range / mpg is an average of 20% less than the EPA numbers. Sounds like we drive similar highway speeds (75-80) and with that I’ve seen about a 20% reduction in real world range...I also live in New England and my range hit is 30% less than EPA in the winter.

I will take an occasional drive out to Vegas (280 miles) a couple times a year so it won't be an annoyance to stop to charge at a supercharger since it will only be a couple times a year to visit in-laws.
I will add how very refreshing it is to see this frame of mind on this forum, provided you mean it. It gets tiring seeing so many threads with people buying the standard range, and then wanting to drive 80+ mph and skip Superchargers and then constantly gripe about not matching the EPA range numbers.

The standard range versions can be a good value and save significant money, but you do have to accept that it's a tradeoff for your time and patience, and if you go into it knowing that, you can be fine. The smaller battery will charge a bit slower and probably require an extra stop on some trips that the long range won't, but that extra 20 minutes or so now and then in exchange for keeping some extra thousands of dollars can be good.

Reactions: Koolio46
... I am very, very new to Tesla or electric cars in general. Historically I have always been an ICE guy and drove NA or Turbo engines with some mods.

On drives to Vegas I have to say that I drive much more on the + side of that 75 number so I have to think about it since speed has a huge change of the range..

I don't think you can make it to Las Vegas, without stopping with either a standard or long range model Y. The Tesla route planner shows a stop for LR version and doesn't have the standard model yet. So if that is your only trip, you are probably fine proceeding. On the other hand, you might want to consider whether your trips would be during peak travel times when the Supercharger's become more crowded. The LR version would give you more flexibility under these conditions.

Using A Better Route Planner a non-stop trip from Huntington Beach, CA to Las Vegas, NV (280 miles estimated) in a Long Range Dual Motor Model Y is possible if you drive at 45 MPH. At 75 to 80 MPH this trip would require stopping to charge at the Supercharger in Barstow, CA and a shorter charging session at the Supercharger station in Baker, CA.