Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.12.3.20 NH Trip with Unmarked Roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3, Long Range, HW3, 2022.12.3.20, 120,275 miles

TL/DR, it works just fine on unmarked roads.

Just completed a pleasant trip up to and around New Hampshire. There were lots of unmarked roads where I was staying and traveling about. So nice having the car manage the navigation from highways to back roads. The car did surprisingly well on the unmarked roads, stayed to it’s side of the road, moved slightly right as car approached, moved slightly left when car was park partially in right hand lane. Unmarked roads had no curbs or markings. Car appeared to use the line where the tar overlaps in middle of road. Did a nice job adjusting for speed limit signs, except the drop in speed takes to long.

At one point I even tried it on a single dirt road/trail in a state forest. It worked, would not recommend because it jumps to 25mph, when 5mph is too fast. Plus it can’t handle the potholes and tire ruts, you need to ride on top with one tire in middle of dirt road and one on shoulder to keep from bottoming out. But it did turn on and did work, however I quickly turned it off, so not a lot of data, but it marked the edges.

Still has some areas to improve, when stopped in traffic it tried to pull out of the left turn lane I was in to make a left turn and nearly got taken out by a suv traveling in the right lane. I did appreciate the single finger salute and horn blast from the SUV driver.

I also found using the accelerator at right and left turns made them smooth. If I let the car do it, it was very herky jerky and took too long. Not much phantom braking, normally if car was approaching on an unmarked road and at an angle it would slow then resume. Had a couple undefined phantom braking/slow downs on highway. Not sure what could possibly have caused them. I hit the capture and will let Tesla sort it out. I think total round trip was 3 maybe 4.

One interesting scenario, I think in MA, there was an overpass above the highway and the Traffic light on that road above was visible and it was Red. It did pick it up very briefly as I traveled on the highway, but it did not slow at all. It also did not run any stop signs in NH, it did slow for the ones on side road angled towards the road I was on, these have already been reported. So only the one at the top of my road it is struggling with.

Now that I am more familiar with 2022.12 I have to say it has improved quiet a bit from last release, except for my one stop sign.

Just realized I crossed the 120K mark after this trip and now the last of my warranty’s are over (battery and drive train).

Looking forward to 2022.13.X. Go Tesla.

I'm going to be curious about the rumored 10.13 handling wider, unmarked roads. My residential neighborhood streets are wide and unmarked. 10.12 tends to stay closer to the center of the road, leaning a little right. When a car is coming the other way, it shifts a little more right, but still stays a bit towards the center, which can make the passing a little uncomfortable - makes the other car think I'm a bit of a road hog. It's better than 10.11, where it was dead center in the road.

Reactions: BnGrm
I'm going to be curious about the rumored 10.13 handling wider, unmarked roads. My residential neighborhood streets are wide and unmarked. 10.12 tends to stay closer to the center of the road, leaning a little right. When a car is coming the other way, it shifts a little more right, but still stays a bit towards the center, which can make the passing a little uncomfortable - makes the other car think I'm a bit of a road hog. It's better than 10.11, where it was dead center in the road.
This has been my experience in my neighborhood with unmarked center lines. Sometimes the car stays on the right side and then, same drive, for some reason then decides the center of the road is just fine. An oncoming car makes it move to the right but still biased toward the center where it’s not comfortable.

Glad the OPs experience is better.

Reactions: Dewg