Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been pointed out by other members, but it seems your assumption is wrong.

You want to heat an empty seat? They remove it because it's not needed without anyone sitting in the seat. At this point you can't place another button there.

I don't like that it's based on somebody in the passenger seat. The main reason I don't like it is that it's extra code complexity for them to get right, which is doubly bad since Tesla seems to be massively inept at testing. I would prefer for the bar of icons to not change based on occupants; I want to set it and then it should stay the same. And I frequently turn on the passenger butt warmer for my 36oz puppy, but until I get this update I won't know if that's enough for her to enable the icon.

5+1 if you include the most recent used app.
In the video, the label for that section reads, "Recent Apps" (plural) and it looks like there are two slots for icons, so hopefully the two most recent apps will be shown. 5 + 2 + seat heaters would be nice.

Well, I just received a notice in the Tesla app that an update to 2022.12.1 is ready for installation, so I guess I'll be able to verify later this afternoon.

Last edited:
Then swipe up on the temperature and the. On the seat heaters! If that’s a serious complaint, you’re ridiculous. It doesn’t need to be on the main screen if there is no one in the seat.
It's not a complaint, I just think it's dumb. It adds complexity for nothing. If I follow your reasoning, why would you be able to split the temperature if there's no passenger?

Reactions: am_dmd and Boza

You want to heat an empty seat? They remove it because it's not needed without anyone sitting in the seat. At this point you can't place another button there.
It took me a while (which it shouldn’t because those things should be intuitive) but I finally got the (twisted) logic. The passenger seat warmer shows up only if you have a passenger _and_ you have the split HVAC enabled _and_ you have a driver. Why the seat warmers must be related to the HVAC settings is a mystery to me. Why the passenger icon shows up only if there is a driver _and_ passenger is also a mystery.
Now, in order to see the status of both seat warmers I must enable the split HVAC and play with two temperature settings instead of one. And to make things even more interesting the passenger seat warmer icon disappears when there is no passenger but the heating is not turned off.
In summary, the only way this works is if:
- There is a passenger _and_ driver in the seats
- The split HVAC is enabled.
Common cases when one will have issues:
- You want a single HVAC settings
- Forgot to turn off the passenger seat warmer _before_ the passenger leaves
- The passenger is waiting for the driver in the car. This is particularly ugly because you cannot expect common people to be able to find the twisted HVAC logic.

Those UI engineers have never driven a car before, that is for sure! Why something so simple, that has been solved eons ago, has to be so complicated?!

In the video, the label for that section reads, "Recent Apps" (plural) and it looks like there are two slots for icons, so hopefully the two most recent apps will be shown. 5 + 2 + seat heaters would be nice.

Well, I just received a notice in the Tesla app that an update to 2022.12.1 is ready for installation, so I guess I'll be able to verify later this afternoon.
It’s 5 + 1 (or 4 +2, etc.) + seat heaters.

It took me a while (which it shouldn’t because those things should be intuitive) but I finally got the (twisted) logic. The passenger seat warmer shows up only if you have a passenger _and_ you have the split HVAC enabled _and_ you have a driver. Why the seat warmers must be related to the HVAC settings is a mystery to me. Why the passenger icon shows up only if there is a driver _and_ passenger is also a mystery.
Now, in order to see the status of both seat warmers I must enable the split HVAC and play with two temperature settings instead of one. And to make things even more interesting the passenger seat warmer icon disappears when there is no passenger but the heating is not turned off.
- The passenger is waiting for the driver in the car. This is particularly ugly because you cannot expect common people to be able to find the twisted HVAC logic.

Those UI engineers have never driven a car before, that is for sure! Why something so simple, that has been solved eons ago, has to be so complicated?!

Woah. This is some real top-shelf Tom F**ckery.

I think Tesla has now set the bar even lower, if that was even possible.

Reactions: Lonewulf45

Okay, I am sitting in my car and have the split HVAC enabled because my wife likes to control her temperature. There is no one in the passenger seat and I can turn on or off its heat now whether the HVAC is on or not. That said, the seat won't actually heat up unless someone is sitting in it just like the driver's seat when you precondition the car. Sure it would be nice to be able to turn on the heat before someone sits. But this is still a huge improvement and I for one am happy to be able to put the seat and steering wheel heat settings on the main screen. Btw I just noticed that I can turn the HVAC off and on by pressing and holding the temperature control.

I feel it's a nothing burger. I already had split AC enabled, added heated seats and can see both left/right icons when sitting in the driver seat. Didn't try to disable split AC to see if passenger heater disappears or not. I just don't think it's too hard to enable passenger seat heater in the regular menu if passenger seat is not occupied but I want it On for some reason.

Don’t if you can.

I installed 2022.12.1 and it is another episode of the same show.
- Still only 4 icons and plenty of unused space
- Adding the new functions is super unintuitive. Pressing “…” will only show you the entertainment icons. You have to start editing the launchpad in order to see the new icons
- Only driver seat warmer is available.
- The defogger/defroster works only if you first start the HVAC. So, two taps process. It was kind of amusing to see the defogger/defroster icon on (blue/red) and the HVAC off. At first I thought that the AC was busted.

V10 is still more usable. I hope they fix some of those issues in subsequent releases. I am still perplexed by how amateurish the whole UI design is. Those people have never driven cars before.
Passenger heated seat is there on the far right - you just need to make sure that “split” is enabled in the HVAC controls.

But what’s the point of button disappearing? That space can’t be used for anything else anyway so what’s the point of button disappearing.
Like others have said I would like to know seat heater is off and preheat seat as needed.
Totally useless and unnecessary.

I don't like that it's based on somebody in the passenger seat. The main reason I don't like it is that it's extra code complexity for them to get right, which is doubly bad since Tesla seems to be massively inept at testing. I would prefer for the bar of icons to not change based on occupants; I want to set it and then it should stay the same. And I frequently turn on the passenger butt warmer for my 36oz puppy, but until I get this update I won't know if that's enough for her to enable the icon.
Don’t worry Tesla will use the internal camera to detect seat occupancy for ultra light occupants 🤦🏻
I just don’t understand the point of this unnecessary complexity of adding/removing icons. I mean one of the major complaint about v11 is getting rid of some of the most critical icons of the main screen. Thank God Tesla isn’t after reinventing the wheel 😆

But what’s the point of button disappearing? That space can’t be used for anything else anyway so what’s the point of button disappearing.
Like others have said I would like to know seat heater is off and preheat seat as needed.
Totally useless and unnecessary.

My guess is V11 aims to minimize displayed information in the interest of making it look simpler. The result increases the eyesight, dexterity, and cognitive loads. This is human factors 101 and it'd show up in usability testing.

...And I frequently turn on the passenger butt warmer for my 36oz puppy, but until I get this update I won't know if that's enough for her to enable the icon.
I'm not going to weigh in 😉 on the sensitivity of the seat occupancy sensor. I'll just offer a small point regarding the pet-warmer application:

Starting this past fall I semi-adopted a stray cat that was hanging out around my property, and was injured in some kind of altercation, probably with a bobcat or coyote. He's not tame enough to approach me or come inside, but he gladly takes the food and drink, and the nights get somewhat cold in the winter. So I put out a couple of heating pads for him to sleep on.

When I was researching the products to buy, I noted that multiple sources said that warming pads for pets need to be milder then what humans tend to like. The implication is that it's very easy to overheat your pet with a warmer designed for humans. I'm not saying it's dangerous, but maybe more uncomfortable than you'd think.

So just a thought, you might want to ensure that your puppy's seat warmer is on on the lowest setting, and perhaps consider a folded blanket or something like that to keep it cozy but not too hot.

I hope you're also taking measures to mitigate what could happen to your puppy if she gets thrown forward in a hard-braking or collision event. But that's an obvious issue; the pet heating-pad issue is one that I hadn't known about until recently.