Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a chance to play with it today. It's coming along as I thought it would with more apps available. The browser improvement is an undocumented fix from what I read and it seems to be more responsive as well. I haven't tried clearing the cache yet, but that's a nice addition. Chromium updated as well.

They'll need to expand the available space for apps as mentioned already, but overall a nice update IMO. Seems like they're listening to critique.

Minor quibbles:

1) Why is the 3 dots icon even there, taking up a whole slot all by itself, when it's entirely redundant? Just use extra long press to edit icons, like everyone already understands?

Free up a slot.

2)Also, recent apps is dumb. Let me choose to turn it off and have 2 more slots if I prefer.

But over all, the pros are balancing out the cons: I'm about to jump from v10 to latest. Reduced phantom braking and better SOC predictions on long trips are going to be nice. And steering wheel heater icon: actually maybe my favorite improvement.

Minor quibbles:

1) Why is the 3 dots icon even there, taking up a whole slot all by itself, when it's entirely redundant? Just use extra long press to edit icons, like everyone already understands?

Free up a slot.
3 dots icon is like a Start button on the Windows computer to show all programs available. The extra long press is used to choose which ones of available programs to be added to favorites.

I updated my 2022 M3 RWD last night with this release.. and have noticed a couple undocumented things….. first obvious thing (at least from my previous release) is they added the rainbow road Easter egg to the toy box … the Easter egg itself isn’t new.. just shows you how to activate it basically.

And I might be the only person on earth who prefers chill mode .. but I have noticed there is some new adjustment to the acceleration.. smoother than before.. also the comfort wheel mode feels softer. I have also noticed that my regenerative breaking seems to be reduced also, at least on chill mode.. no alert saying regen is reduced or anything.

Perhaps a placebo, or the colder temperatures today.. but somehow the suspension feels softer too.. though I am not aware of any possible way that can be true.. since as far as I know, the M3 doesn’t have air suspension, or any other software controllable way of doing this.

Can someone else confirm these findings? It’s also possible I am imagining the difference… but it feels significantly different to me.
Chill mode and regen braking WOULD feel smoother and less pronounced in cold weather. It’s all placebo or non-software related. There’s no change.

Had a chance to play with it today. It's coming along as I thought it would with more apps available. The browser improvement is an undocumented fix from what I read and it seems to be more responsive as well. I haven't tried clearing the cache yet, but that's a nice addition. Chromium updated as well.

They'll need to expand the available space for apps as mentioned already, but overall a nice update IMO. Seems like they're listening to critique.
Wow, the browser is much snappier and handles Teslawaze better. And the Clear Browser Data under the Service menu is finally available. Very happy with these UI improvements overall.

Now if we could only get scroll wheel and IC customization on 2021+, along with the Energy app back 😀

Reactions: john5520
3 dots icon is like a Start button on the Windows computer to show all programs available. The extra long press is used to choose which ones of available programs to be added to favorites.
OK, but why? Show all the options on long press.

Or just show the 3 dot icon only when in Park. No need for it while driving. And it could show up as 3 vertical dots, to the left of the tray, not taking up any slots.

Or 3 vertical dots as a separator between custom and recent apps, and it becomes a fine vertical line/separator while driving.

So many ways to do this so much more elegantly/refined.

Best is just to eliminate it entirely, for super clean UI. That's the king strategy for recent Tesla UI, right? This is just super clunky.

Or just show the 3 dot icon only when in Park. No need for it while driving. And it could show up as 3 vertical dots, to the left of the tray, not taking up any slots.

Or 3 vertical dots as a separator between custom and recent apps, and it becomes a fine vertical line/separator while driving.

Best is just to eliminate it entirely, for super clean UI. That's the king strategy for recent Tesla UI, right? This is just super clunky.
I agree. The 3-dot button is stupid. Tesla should make the swipe from bottom gesture to open all app icons. Climate can be opened by tapping the temperature.

I like the three dots. I often go into the usage graph or other stuff that I don't have docked at the bottom. I don't want to have to long press to bring up the other apps while driving. I wish there was more room to dock more items permanently at the bottom. I strongly disagree with taking away the option to access these other "apps" when driving.

I like the three dots. I often go into the usage graph or other stuff that I don't have docked at the bottom. I don't want to have to long press to bring up the other apps while driving. I wish there was more room to dock more items permanently at the bottom. I strongly disagree with taking away the option to access these other "apps" when driving.
Same. I’m thankful for them. And even more thankful that there are 2 slots for the last used apps. I use browser and energy often but don’t keep them in my bar. My bar is for media and phone

Reactions: iamnid
This is interesting. Not being on v11 yet, I did not realize the 3 dots allowed actual navigation to the extra apps. Totally changes everything. I temporarily retract my comments.

But I withhold judgement. Not sure we should have access to that many options while driving. Updating to v11 today, I'll suss it out.

This is interesting. Not being on v11 yet, I did not realize the 3 dots allowed actual navigation to the extra apps. Totally changes everything. I temporarily retract my comments.

But I withhold judgement. Not sure we should have access to that many options while driving. Updating to v11 today, I'll suss it out.
We should have access to whatever we want while driving. Natural selection at work.

And why did you comment on the first place about something you didn’t even have on your car, and that you knew nothing about? So frustrating.

We should have access to whatever we want while driving. Natural selection at work.

And why did you comment on the first place about something you didn’t even have on your car, and that you knew nothing about? So frustrating.
Because I have no self control. I'm overly reactionary, opinionated, and a loud mouth. But there is a ton of documentation of v11 everywhere, and I've been keeping up pretty well.

I also readily admit when I'm wrong. No time to sit around nursing bad assumptions. Installing v11 now. I'm actually totally fine with it; I prefaced my critique with "Minor Quibbles." Just thinking about tweaks that would make it more awesom-er. lol.

[eta: "Natural selection at work" is not really a good design philosophy for an automaker. Just saying. Hard to take anything you say seriously. lol.]

Last edited:
Both seat heaters and HVAC are designed to keep body warm. For instance, the new auto heat seater function is brilliant. It directly dependent on HVAC settings and current cabin temperature.
They combined these functions together based on what they are used for. Traditional automakers didn't use programming logic and kept all controls separate. Just two different schools of thought.
Yes, by that logic head lights, fog lights and blinkers produce light :)

BTW, auto seat heaters cannot be 100% accurate, at least for now. Not only different people have different warmth preferences but also those preferences vary during the day, based on the mood, etc. Until Elon taps into our brains that function must have manual option, with all the usability requirements attached.

I don’t have auto seat warmers but nothing “auto” in my 2020 MS LR+ really works 100% - neither the wipers, nor the beams, nor the screen brightness, nor AP, nor FSD. Some of them don’t work even 1% of the time (wipers).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yes, by that logic head lights, fog lights and blinkers produce light :)

BTW, auto seat heaters cannot be 100% accurate, at least for now. Not only different people have different warmth preferences but also those preferences vary during the day, based on the mood, etc. Until Elon taps into our brains that function must have manual option, with all the usability requirements attached.

I don’t have auto seat warmers but nothing “auto” in my 2020 MS LR+ really works 100% - neither the wipers, nor the beams, nor the screen brightness, nor AP, nor FSD. Some of them don’t work even 1% of the time (wipers).
Auto seat heaters are exactly wrong. Just tried them out on my brand new v11 installation. I like the cabin at 66 and the seat heaters on high, then medium after about 30 minutes.

On 66, auto seat heaters never come on. In fact, at 74, they came on full, and as I lowered the temp to 66, they quickly ramped down to off.

Not a complaint at all. I just won't use them. I have not used Auto HVAC ever, in the last 7 cars I owned since 1998, so I feel like this is a me thing.

Yeah, it's only going to heat the seat if the cabin temp is below the set temp. It would be cool if it "learned" your habits for those who like unconventional patterns, but doubtful. I find AUTO HVAC perfect though, much better than any car I've driven. Brand new CX-5 was pushing out heat when AUTO was set at 66°. I've always gone LO or HI in other cars and just moderate fan speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: OxBrew